Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Advice Please: Buying a out of the state car what kind of smog is required?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Advice Please: Buying a out of the state car what kind of smog is required?

Hey all:

What is required for smog for a out of the state car (Michigan) Do all cars have to go to a smog referee or just any smog shop? Is there any other transfer fees ect besides taxes?

Also it is a 1994

Thanks
Old 01-07-2007, 09:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 BLOWN V8
Hey all:

What is required for smog for a out of the state car (Michigan) Do all cars have to go to a smog referee or just any smog shop? Is there any other transfer fees ect besides taxes?

Also it is a 1994

Thanks
just a regular, run the mill smog cert.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing special smog-wise. I brought mine from TX, had it smogged, then registered/titled it.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Nothing special smog-wise. I brought mine from TX, had it smogged, then registered/titled it.
Is there any extra fees for buying out of the state car or just the tax? Thanks
Old 01-08-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tax, title, reg fees that I can think of. I paid cash so I had the title in hand, forget if I had to pay a fee (title transfer fee?) to get that transfered or if it was included in the other fees. My total was $823 and I think I stated I paid $8k or $9k. Looks like in addition to tax I would estimate up to $200 more for the other fees (title, reg, etc.), probably much less considering the year of your's vs. the year of mine.

So a good estimate would be 20-25% above what your tax will be. That's based on my experience.

If I come across my paperwork, I'll post the exact #s.

Also, I just remembered, as it pertains to smog, make sure your car is 50 state legal, not just 49. Check that sticker under the hood.

Last edited by BigDaddyBry; 01-08-2007 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've bought several cars from out of state. Seems like tax etc came to about 10% of cost. Like stated above, basic smog check is all that you need.

DMV will also perform inspection. Or, autoclub if you have membership.

Just make sure the car has its catalytic convertor. I got screwed on the Police Interceptor I purchased from florida. The PD had removed the cats. Cost me $600 for new OBDII compliant system. Whats interesting is that even without cats, the car missed passing by only a couple PPM.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
I've bought several cars from out of state. Seems like tax etc came to about 10% of cost. Like stated above, basic smog check is all that you need.

DMV will also perform inspection. Or, autoclub if you have membership.

Just make sure the car has its catalytic convertor. I got screwed on the Police Interceptor I purchased from florida. The PD had removed the cats. Cost me $600 for new OBDII compliant system. Whats interesting is that even without cats, the car missed passing by only a couple PPM.
What kind of inspection? I do have autoclub but they still want to inspect the car?
Old 01-09-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inspection is for correct VIN, EPA or CARB sticker in engine bay, odometer reading. Basically to confirm the car is the car you have listed on your paper work. If you purchase from a private individual then autoclub will set you up with everything. No need to waste time at DMV. But, if you purchased through a dealer the autoclub isnt supppose to do the paperwork for you. On one occassion they did for me, however.

Check out the DMV website and download the form. It will help save some time either place you go to.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check out what you find when you look for it

https://mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorW...esidentFees.do

Good luck Ken.

Quick Reply: Advice Please: Buying a out of the state car what kind of smog is required?