http://www.nitrophotos.com/240z/nitrous.html
Old 01-08-2007, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good reading. I enjoyed it.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this part quite interesting. IIRC, car craft claimed 7hp and 12lb-ft from Zero Gap rings.
If a ring end gap is measured on the high side, you improve detonation tolerance in two ways. One, the engine will run longer under detonation before rings butt. Two, some leak down appears to benefit oil control by clearing the oil rings of oil build up. Clean, open oil rings are necessary to prevent from reaching the combustion chamber, which is also why we do not like gapless rings.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:36 AM
10 Second Club

Another interesting point..

Tests have shown that polishing the combustion chamber, valves and piston top can increase horsepower and fuel economy by 6%.

And..

All this polishing probably sounds counter to the practice of cimpling the combustion chamber. Dimpling has been show to put wet flow back into the air flow and improve combustion. We do not recommend dimpling, but do suggest cutting a small discontinuity close to the valve seat to turbulate wet flow. Some bench flowed cylinder heads encourage fuel separation at the inlet pot. If a small step is added at the valve seat to force the wet flow over the resulting sharp edge, fuel will reenter the air stream and give you the same affect as dimpling only without losing the benefit of a completely polished chamber. As you reduce wet flow you will improve combustion and most likely need to install leaner carburetor jets. Leaner jets compensate for the excess fuel that is available when wet flow is put back into the air/fuel mix. Significant additional horsepower gains can be had with careful attention to cylinder-to-cylinder fuel distribution by allowing all cylinders to be set "just right"
Old 01-09-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Another interesting point..

[/font]
yeah but they still eventually get built up with carbon again.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by brad8266
Eventually, but in theory (I know it's theory) the smoother surfaces would allow less hot spots to build up and should minimize this over a period of time. I also assume when he refers to polishing, it's micropolished so the entire surfaces are almost completely smooth and void of surface imperfections.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Eventually, but in theory (I know it's theory) the smoother surfaces would allow less hot spots to build up and should minimize this over a period of time. I also assume when he refers to polishing, it's micropolished so the entire surfaces are almost completely smooth and void of surface imperfections.
yeah it would eliminate more hot sposts which would lead to less chance of detonation/pre ignition.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have read just the opposite on the Total Seal zero gap rings by top engine builders. I wouldn't put to much stock in that particular article. Total Seal makes some good rings but the zero gap is not one of them.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brad8266
Carbon build up is actually not a bad thing, the light dusting of carbon has actually been shown to help combustion. Got me as to why, one of those things.

Bret
Old 01-11-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Carbon build up is actually not a bad thing, the light dusting of carbon has actually been shown to help combustion. Got me as to why, one of those things.

Bret
What is the possibilty that it actually helps insulate the combustion event and contain the heat?

You guys all know way more than I do though - so I'm sure that's been considered.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hammertime
What is the possibilty that it actually helps insulate the combustion event and contain the heat?

You guys all know way more than I do though - so I'm sure that's been considered.
A local motorcycle racing engine builder that has some Suzuki factory backing has told me that a layer of carbon buildup will do just that. the guy knows his stuff, people pay good money for his engines.

Hammer
Old 01-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce

Bret
Im not an Einstein but
Hasnt it also been proven that polished (clean and SMOOTH) C.C.s will benefit from less chance of detonation. Guess you cant have the best of both worlds.

Sorry for the bump!