Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What did I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did I do?

Well I went from a stock 356 engine to a 408 iron block with all forged internals and about a 9-1 compression. Went from the 3.125 pully on the SC to a 2.5. Now I get no power out of the car! It will get about 7# boost and no more and there is no power there. So did I just build the engine to big for the SC? My husband is not going to be happy! Any ideas what I can do?
Thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of blower is it??? you can have to small of a sc for a motor but you should still see some kind of power gain from it... Has it been tuned?? Do you know the AFR?? What kind of power is "no power" ???
Old 01-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

It is a Vortech V9 system with the aftercooler. Texas Speed told me the engine should put down about 430 just by itself. We can't even get it to 400!!! It is at the tune shop right now. They are great I just don't know if I did something wrong! I can't figure out why it can't get any power. THe SC seems to platue at 7# around 5000 and wont go up!
I went from a 550HP 356 to a 348HP 408! Not a good thing!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
What kind of blower is it??? you can have to small of a sc for a motor but you should still see some kind of power gain from it... Has it been tuned?? Do you know the AFR?? What kind of power is "no power" ???
It sounds like she's having the same problem as you Chris, she put on the blower and is still slow.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's cuz I broke my tranny you as$ Soon she'll be back up and running stronger than ever...Then something else with break...

That sounds kind of weird that it would honestly choke it down that much... Is everything installed properly??? Is the filter clogged totally??? Hmmm, many many variables to consider.... Good luck..I know how hard you've worked on this and I hope that you get it back up and running for your husband...
Old 01-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Well thanks, I doubt that will happen because he is coming home in 2 days! I have spent so many down days waiting for parts that are supposed to help but it seems don't! As far as I know everything is installed correctly, it is getting enough fuel, they had the guage monitoring that on today. It runs! I am just baffled by WHY it won't get any power! air filter is clean and EVERYTHING is new!
I have resigned myself to dissapointing my husband, I took in some of the body pannels to have some scratches fixed and the guy ended up messing the car up worse! It looks like CRAP now! I have to get it fixed from getting it fixed! I wanted to redeem myself with a killer engine but it apears I have done something to loose HP? I don't know what more can be done! I can't afford anything else!
I will keep you all posted. Any more ideas would be great.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure there is plenty of fuel and air getting to the engine. There really is to many variables to really say what might be wrong. You should talk to the engine builder and get their opinion. What was the compression on the old motor?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

I feel maybe I should take the SC off and see where it is at without it and go from there, at least it should get more HP that way!
Old 01-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

You guys should come down to OC and check it out!
Old 01-09-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Surely... Where in the OC are you???

That's actually not a bad idea... That would see if the blower has become that much of a restriction...Remember it's designed for a stock cubed engine...You're going to have to get it tuned for a NA mode though...
Old 01-09-2007, 05:53 PM
FormerVendor

It could be belt slip on the SC.... especiallly with the plateau that you describe.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

One more question...Is the crank pinned?? Like Frost said it could be slipping quite a bit...
Old 01-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

They checked belt slipage and it is not. The 3.125 pully was putting out 4# boost. On the origional cub engine it put out 9#. So I went with a 2.5 pully to get more boost.
The car is at Orange County Corvette right now on the dyno. THey are blocking of the blow off valve to see if it was leaking, but on the last run it blew off the throttle tube! so that to me indicates it has boost. I wanted to have it done today so I can bring it home to detail it but I am thinking that is not going to happen. I need to make sure it is getting the HP it should be though.
GRRRRR!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Yes crank is pinned, I pinned it myself! I did most all the assembly myself short of the rotating assembly. I even have pictures!
Old 01-09-2007, 06:14 PM
FormerVendor

Holy **** you sound like the best wife EVER

Don't beat yourself up; I'm sure that this will work itself out. Do you know what the max CFM of that blower is?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know about the CFM on the SC.
I just got off the phone with them and they found oil behind the crank pulley. So they are checking the seal and everything. THey are checking the bolt and everything to make sure it is good. Maybe the crank bolt loosened! Lets hope! I am getting rather frustrated right now! I only have 2 more days to get this done!
Old 01-09-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mrs. Ronin
Yes crank is pinned, I pinned it myself! I did most all the assembly myself short of the rotating assembly. I even have pictures!
Want to trade husbands? You can have me, and your husband can have my wife. She knows how to cook, iron, and use credit cards. Sounds like a fair trade Can't help you with the blower issue though

I will say this much though, if I came home and found my Wife tried to get the paint fixed on my car, as well as having a new motor built for it, even if there were some kinks to be ironed out I'd be happier than a pig in ****!
Old 01-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Well I am not very good at keeping the house cleaned or ironing the clothes, sometimes I can cook good but I don't have a ton of time! If your motorcycle needs to be set up for the track or your car needs fixin I am your gal! I built the engine myself! I had Texas Speed assemble the short block (pistons and crank and machine the block) I did everything else! Took the old engine out, put the new engine in and even have the old covers and pulley and misc other parts powdercoated to match the Collectors edition black and yellow paint scheme!
Attached Thumbnails What did I do?-completefront.jpg   What did I do?-supercharger1.jpg  
Old 01-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

oh you may confused since someone else is working on it right now! I took it to Orange County Corvettes to have it turned on for the first time and have it tuned and broke in on the dyno. They are really great! They are making sure it is done right and I am happy for that I just hope it doesn't have more problems then I can fix!
Here is a picture of the SC
Attached Thumbnails What did I do?-supercharger1.jpg  
Old 01-09-2007, 07:46 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

The G-Trim blower is good for ~825cfm.