Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are my heads clean enough to install???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 06:00 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default are my heads clean enough to install???

head pics

90mm ported intake, starting to sand, then gloss black paint and clear. my first time-haha. what beaitiful porting by tony mamo, unreal. got the girly workin

and a pic of my messy garage, work in progress
Old 01-10-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

are they brand new heads , did you do anything to them?

if there brand new just blow everything out with compressed air and a small metal hose if you got one, to put it all the way down the threaded holes then blow them out. my local speed shop did it for me the first time.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:19 PM

^ hmmm... guess any advice from here is free.

They don't look bad, but pictures can be deceiving. Take a garden hose to them and some simple green in a squirt bottle. Dry them afterwards with compressed air or some patience and the sun.

Ben T.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:20 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 00454sscamaro
are they brand new heads , did you do anything to them?

if there brand new just blow everything out with compressed air and a small metal hose if you got one, to put it all the way down the threaded holes then blow them out. my local speed shop did it for me the first time.
there not new, i cleaned them with green scotebrite pads. just wanted to make sure they were ok to install

byby fast sig
Old 01-10-2007, 08:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The heads look pretty good but you can still see the gasket rings.Are they imprinted into the head? I use a whizzer wheel and a plastic disk which takes everything off.

Also,since you have the heads there I would do a quick check of t he valves sealing.Dump some water into each port and let sit overnight.If they leak,they aren't sealed and might want to lap a valve.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:44 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
The heads look pretty good but you can still see the gasket rings.Are they imprinted into the head? I use a whizzer wheel and a plastic disk which takes everything off.

Also,since you have the heads there I would do a quick check of t he valves sealing.Dump some water into each port and let sit overnight.If they leak,they aren't sealed and might want to lap a valve.
yes those are the gaskit rings imprinted into the heads. will it seal like that? ill try the water trick. thanks pat
Old 01-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pat...

When your all done take a bodyman's medium length long board with some 320 wet/dry paper. Spray the deck surface (and board) with WD40 and with light even pressure go across the head on a 45' angle one way and then a 45' angle the other way leaving a very fine "cross hatch" pattern kinda like what you see on a cylinder wall. You can do it a few times in each direction (take your time moving slowly across the head). Wipe the head clean when your done and inspect the surface....sufaces not hit very much are low spots....shinier surfaces are high spots....it should have a nice even finish across the entire deck. The slight imprinting of the gasket ring around the chamber is normal....just make sure you use the same type of gasket again, otherwise its best to have a machinist clean mill a few thou of them. If you see any low or high spots its a must that you take a small "clean up cut" off the deck to insure a smooth perfectly flat surface.

Good luck with the intake as well....the heads look good.

Tony
Old 01-11-2007, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Beautiful car man. Good advice above.

Still runnin that ole F14 I got from you while back.

Ski