Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got my new cam and lifters in, will it tick like hell?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default just got my new cam and lifters in, will it tick like hell?

What should i expect? Since i have new lifters is it going to tick real bad when i first start it? Should I crank the engine over without the coils hooked up to get oil pressure to the lifters before i start it?
Old 01-14-2007, 01:34 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just start it up and pay good attention to oil pressure. if it doesnt go up after the first 5 seconds or so, turn it off and say 'WTF'. It will tick but it'll be fine. Turn the key.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you soak the lifters in oil for 24 hours before you installed them?
Old 01-14-2007, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't soak them because Vettenuts told me not to. He said if they are soaked then it could hold the valve open and then it may come in contact with the piston. I did dip them in oil before i put them in. Oh, and i didn't change the oil pump so I'm sure it will have oil pressure.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:49 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

you never know about the oil pressure. **** happens. watch it.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silverbrick
you never know about the oil pressure. **** happens. watch it.
I will, should i crank it over some before i put spark to it?
Old 01-14-2007, 02:07 AM
Banned

yeah you can do that for an extra level of safety. lots of people do that
Old 01-14-2007, 02:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Before you button the covers on, pour some oil on lifters, rockers, p-rods to help with start up. Of course dont forget to change your oil before that and leave a bit out (the amount you pour from top).
Old 01-14-2007, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Before you button the covers on, pour some oil on lifters, rockers, p-rods to help with start up. Of course dont forget to change your oil before that and leave a bit out (the amount you pour from top).
yea I sure will. i was thinking I may of got some coolant in the oil so I'll just change it for saftey.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:09 AM
12 Second Club

I would crank it over w/ coils not connected till it builds up oil pressure. also did you crank the motor by hand several times to make sure it will turn over when u use the key. once both are done you will have that piece of mind and it will crank right up. ticking yes till lifters get oil in them. on first fire up do not give it some throttle, maybe to keep it idleing till it can on it's own. just some suggestions here. this is how I approached mine. good luck.

fuerzaws6
Old 01-14-2007, 05:54 AM
TECH Addict

I am assume you cleaned the lifters in a solvent (mineral spirits), cleaned them off, then put them in oil for about an hour or less, just to get the air bubbles out and make sure the oil gets to the rollers.

Just pull the PCM/IGN fuse and crank it over to build pressure. Run the starter for 3 seconds at a time, and on the third spin you should see the oil pressure come up.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddySS
I am assume you cleaned the lifters in a solvent (mineral spirits), cleaned them off, then put them in oil for about an hour or less, just to get the air bubbles out and make sure the oil gets to the rollers.
While some of the aftermarket manufacturers recommend this, the service manual doesn't for stock lifters. Morel warns against doing this as their lifters have a special grease inside and washing it out is bad for the lifter. Since he installed stock lifters, he followed the service manual.

I would pull the fuse on the fuel pump and unclip the coils leaving out the plugs. If you spin it a few times the oil pressure will come up. Mine came up to about 30 psi. Did you use any assembly lube?

They will be noisy for several minutes. When I put in the Morels, Rick Morel told me they might clack for as long as 20 minutes depending on temp and how long it took for the grease to wash out.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
While some of the aftermarket manufacturers recommend this, the service manual doesn't for stock lifters. Morel warns against doing this as their lifters have a special grease inside and washing it out is bad for the lifter. Since he installed stock lifters, he followed the service manual.

I would pull the fuse on the fuel pump and unclip the coils leaving out the plugs. If you spin it a few times the oil pressure will come up. Mine came up to about 30 psi. Did you use any assembly lube?

They will be noisy for several minutes. When I put in the Morels, Rick Morel told me they might clack for as long as 20 minutes depending on temp and how long it took for the grease to wash out.
i just used a 30wt oil to cover everything real well. I did do like you said with the rollers and just dipped the lifters. I will turn it over by hand first but i think that will be fine because I turned it over some already when I tightened the rockers
Old 01-14-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

You're right - I see no reference to cleaning stock lifters but I can't imagine they are not coated with anticorrosion compounds. I usually recommend following the maufacturers directions but I would be tempted to clean and lube the stock lifters.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mvvette97
What should i expect? Since i have new lifters is it going to tick real bad when i first start it? Should I crank the engine over without the coils hooked up to get oil pressure to the lifters before i start it?
If your pushrods are too short it will tick all the time.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddySS
You're right - I see no reference to cleaning stock lifters but I can't imagine they are not coated with anticorrosion compounds. I usually recommend following the maufacturers directions but I would be tempted to clean and lube the stock lifters.
Actually, what Marc did was soak the lower end of the lifter and work the oil into the roller then dip/coat them and the lifter bore thoroughly before installation. I have read a couple of instances with a cam where the lifters were soaked and basically hard (solid) such that they actually over opened the valve and contacted the piston.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Launching!

I just started my car for the first time since install today, cranked it over with coil packs unplugged..took about 10 seconds to build 40psi. Then started it up, and watched the guage to make sure it maintained pres. No probs doing it this way, all went well.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to dip my lifter in oil before installing, but I too wouldnt soak them for the same reason stated above. Granted the spring pressure should bleed the lifter down pretty quickly, but I just dont like the idea. Like predator-z said, coat everything with oil just before putting the valve covers on.

It usually takes about 5 seconds or so before oil pressure shows up, but you may hear some hellacious clatter for up to half a minute before the lifters are fully pumped up.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Actually, what Marc did was soak the lower end of the lifter and work the oil into the roller then dip/coat them and the lifter bore thoroughly before installation. I have read a couple of instances with a cam where the lifters were soaked and basically hard (solid) such that they actually over opened the valve and contacted the piston.
That is impossible because upon install they will bleed. Only way this happens is if the p-rods are too tall to begin with and are trying to colapse the lifter before they bleed.
Lifters (Comp or stock) should be cleaned outside with mineral spirit to remove coating and then dipped in light oil 1hr or so before install.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
That is impossible because upon install they will bleed. Only way this happens is if the p-rods are too tall to begin with and are trying to colapse the lifter before they bleed.
Lifters (Comp or stock) should be cleaned outside with mineral spirit to remove coating and then dipped in light oil 1hr or so before install.
Well mark, i did get it running. It ticked for about 20 or 30 seconds then nice and quiet. I am having trouble getting the air out of the cooling system. i didn't let it run very long because i was worried it would get hot. I als got a ck engine light as soon as it started. Don't know if I didn't plug something back in or what. I have a feeling I messed up an O2 because when i was taking out the headers i forgot and still had an O2 still in the header. It got banged around pretty good. I have a scanner so I'll check it tomarrow. No big hurry I guess because there is about 8 inches of snow on the ground

Quick Reply: just got my new cam and lifters in, will it tick like hell?