Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I overreved the crap out of my 02 Vette, please beat me to death now

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I overreved the crap out of my 02 Vette, please beat me to death now

Like the title says I want death by flogging. I had been driving for about 540 miles yesterday (Monroe, LA to Hot Springs Village, Arkansas, to Dallas, TX, and was on the way home, 940 miles in two days) and had an import run up on me, downshifted to 3rd, ran her up to right at 6k, and snatched her into....2nd!!! instead of 4th,and it was totally committed. The car said VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAA AAAaaaa and I snatched her back out of it and put it into 4th. I pressed the throttle and the car lugged for a couple seconds, then the power came back on and she seemed fine for the 40-50 miles I still had to drive home. I was scared I had really messed her up (never did that b4!!) but she seems fine. My vette is bone stock m6 save for a catch can, and I run her hard all the time, and I have just a slight ticking sometimes that was there b4 this happened, and the tick doesn't even seem to be as loud now.

After I got her home I went out about 4 hours later and fired her up and everything seems fine. I was also so worried about the rear and tranny, getting wound up so hard like that. I went and drive her for about 5 or 6 miles tonight, and opened the hood and listened, had my wife listen and rev her up for me, and I hear nothing unusual.

My question is am I lucky? I did a search and read all the pull the pushrod threads (I have only worked on my VR4, never had a peep of trouble out of the all-powerful LS1), but I am going to need some instructions to do this.

Question #2, could I have hurt my tranny or rearend? The tach went waaayyyy up (I can't believe nothing is up so far, it's a miracle), and truthfully I can't remember much except the car slowed down, but I don't remember being slammed into the seatbelt either.

I am pissed at myself for this crap. Thanks for your replies and watch your , or you'll be sh*tting yourself like I almost did.

Last edited by Vette4LIFE; 01-18-2007 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

doubt you did anything harmful the ls1's are equiped with electronic rev limiters. now if you put it into 2nd when trying to go into 4th you might of been screwed (no mechanical govenor) but you would know it right away too..
Old 01-18-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing you put it in second? The story doesn't quite say. It happens, I know I did it, and broke the tranny mount. Pushrods are usually the weak link. If you want to check them, pull the valve covers, loosen the rockers and roll them on a sheet of glass.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:18 AM
12 Second Club

i love autos
Old 01-18-2007, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like you got lucky. I missed the 3-4, hit 2nd and bent all 16 pushrods.
If you bent one bad enough you would hear it. It wouldn't be a bad idea to pull out the pushrods and roll them on a piece of glass to see if they wobble.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

yeah, i edited it. I hit 2nd instead of 4th

If it sounds fine and runs fine, it is fine huh? What was the deal with the car lugging for few seconds, and then coming back up, with no check engine light or any DIC message? And where do ya find how to remove the pushrods.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry to hijack but, what does a bent pushrod sound like? is it just a ticking?
Old 01-18-2007, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

You can slightly bend the pushrods and not even hear much, but once its bent it will get worse and you'll eventually start hearing noise as they bend more and more.

Even though you did a 3rd to 2nd, the rpm spike from 3rd at 6000rpms on a stock tranny would theoretically put you at 7800rpms in 2nd gear. Now I've done stunts like this in the past specially for "shift lock" when you want to drift and what normally happens is you drag the tires for a period of a second and they might even start to hop until the driveline jolt starts rasing the rpms. There should be no issues with your driveline whatsoever. And even if you bent the pushrods, they're fairly cheap to replace.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:29 AM
Banned

you would know if u screwed something up. just keep driving it normally and watch it the next few days. if it really bothers u, do what others said, pull off the rockers and roll the P rods on a sheet of glass.......... the car stumblin for a few seconds was probably just the cars way of saying to you "wtf did u just do to me!!!"............................i think ur fine
Old 01-18-2007, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it runs fine and sounds fine, you got lucky.

Don't complain when the day comes that you do have to call for a flatbed..

By the way, you know anyone that wants a whole set of service manuals for the 3000gt?
These things are taking up space.......
Old 01-18-2007, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

ticking could be a pushrod or a couple slightly bent. if you still have good oil pressure and runs fine id say you are ok. i feel your pain. i too once had a bit of a misshap. after i first got my car i went to 1st instead of 3rd @ 70mph my tach was bouncing off the stop @7k. didnt even mess any pushrods up on my motor though.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Internet Mechanic

Missing a shift like that is exactly what happens to pushrods, get bent,
Old 01-18-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds like you lucked out but they could be slightly bent and if they are they will get worse as time goes by..if it were mine I'd pull the valve covers and take out the pushrods and roll them to check their straightness...
Old 01-18-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How the hell do you miss the 3-4??? That's REALLY difficult to do. Your hand position on the stick must be totally wrong. Don't grip the shifter like a joystick- for the 3-4 shift, just place your palm on top with your fingers lying on the front of it, and pull straight down. It will go into 4th on its own. What the hell were you doing?

And you still couldn't feel the tires/drivetrain bitch and moan the second you started letting the clutch out?

Seriously...no excuses for a 3-4 miss. Learn how to take it easy until you can drive it.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Pull all the pushrods and check them.

Also do yourself a favor and install an aftermarket shifter. If you stick with the junk stock shifter you will do the 3rd to 2nd shift again at some point and the next time you might not be so lucky.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Toasty
How the hell do you miss the 3-4??? That's REALLY difficult to do. Your hand position on the stick must be totally wrong. Don't grip the shifter like a joystick- for the 3-4 shift, just place your palm on top with your fingers lying on the front of it, and pull straight down. It will go into 4th on its own. What the hell were you doing?

And you still couldn't feel the tires/drivetrain bitch and moan the second you started letting the clutch out?

Seriously...no excuses for a 3-4 miss. Learn how to take it easy until you can drive it.
I hear what you’re saying, it sounds stupid, but there’s something about the stock C5 shifter that really sucks. I did the 3rd to 2nd shift twice in my C5. The first time I did it I was like WTF???!!! The second time I did it I though I must be losing my mind.

Over the years I’ve had over 20 manual transmission cars and have run literally 1000’s of ¼ mile passes and the ONLY time I have ever shifted into 2nd instead of 4th has been in the C5. I put a Hurst shifter in the C5 and things are good now.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the Hurst and Breathless Performance much more than the B&M shifter. But any aftermarket shifter is going to be light years a head of a stock one. Getting a good shifter will make a world of difference. It will insure that you will not make the 3rd to 2nd shift ever again...
Old 01-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As others said....check for bent pushrods and I would also encourage you to do a leakdown test to see if you may have slightly bent a valve (which would show with a very poor leak down percentage and you would hear air escaping past the bent valve).

Consider yourself lucky you hadn't modded the car yet....with typically less P to V a performance cam provides you would have certainly bent some pushrods or worse. Your saving grace was your cam/valvetrain was stock and had alot more room for error....but I would do the leakdown test as a precaution so you can rule out any problems and sleep a little better at night.

Good luck...

Tony
Old 01-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Heck, if you going to check your pushrods, just replace them with a new set from Thunder Racing in Baton Rouge! While you have everything torn down....just drop the new ones in and put it back together.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

Unless some one has changed the program you can't overrev but so much without bouncing off the rev limiter, just hitting it alone would have shocked you enough to let up off the gas. I think factory settings are below 6400