Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I Need To Keep The Flanges Attached To My Exh Manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I Need To Keep The Flanges Attached To My Exh Manifolds

I was wondering if I would have to use the original flanges that are on the stock exhaust tubes that bolts to the exhaust manifolds in order to have exhaust made? Or could an exhaust shop make flanges that would bolt up to the bottom of the factory exhaust manifolds on my 99 LS-1?

Aaron C.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GM has the flanges, #12480130... Retail are $22.00 each. You can order them from your GM Dealer... GMPartsDirect has them for $16.02 each plus Shipping and handling..

I have a set I didn't use.. if you want them.. PM me. I'll sell them for $36.00 shipped.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone make a really nice kit to make your own headers? I mean, you know, one that comes with stainless flanges and stainless flutes and bends that you can tack together with a MIG welder, then have TIG'd from that point? Maybe with exhaust bungs? A kit that you could make port-tuned headers with would be nice.

I've been seriously thinking about making my own headers. So tired of worring that someone else's headers won't fit.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Yeah, I've been wondering if there are flanges out there that already have the first couple inches, or so, of the tubes already welded in at the flange. That would make it a lot easier to start with. Anybod know of any?
Old 01-19-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

*bump* for information sharing. Surely someone knows.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Summit do manifold kits, have a look in their catalogue

Sorry ...... headers
Old 01-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I've checked out Summit before. Their print catalogs are not indicative of all of their available products, and their online stuff doesn't always give a full description of the part so I never found the flanges with the "stub" pipe already welded in. Maybe they're available, but I couldn't find them.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

This is from the GMPARTSDIRECT website:
"DESCRIPTION: LS EXHAUST HEADER FLANGE
LS1, LS2 or LS6 steel header flange. 3/8" thick steel header flanges are a great way to start a fabricated set of LS Series headers for a racecar, or street rod. "

I think this seems to sound like the flange part that bolts to the heads?? I was wondering about the actual flange that bolts down below the bottom of the exahust manifolds.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Launching!

I made a post about this earlier in the exhaust section. I was looking for flanges to buy for 2.5" exhaust that would bolt to the exit side of a set of JBA shorty headers for a 2000 camaro. I found some from Dan at Clear Image Automotive. I think they were around $20. I never bought them because I found a set of FLP headers to use instead.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Aaron, a good exhaust shop will be able to hook you up with out much problem.

Jegs also sells build your own header kits. They look pretty complete in their catalog. Instead of stainless, you might consider going with regular tubing and then having it ceramic coated when you are done with the welding. That's what I did with mine and they came out great. They are also supposed to run cooler and improve performance.

Pat
Old 01-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Launching!

i am also at that point myself. i am using f-body xhaust manifolds on my a- body LS setup. I actually fabbed up some homemade flanges out of steel plates and some homemade gaskets out of copper sheet. But i was thinking, what if i purchased a Y-PIPE from a F-body, and just cuts the ends off and used them with the stock gaskets?(which i think are the donuts). anybody know what sizw pipe the stock y-pipe is at the manifold ends??????????

Quick Reply: Do I Need To Keep The Flanges Attached To My Exh Manifolds