Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard to do a LS1 swap in a 3rd Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard to do a LS1 swap in a 3rd Gen?

I have a 88 IROC L98 and want to swap a LS1 in it. Obviously I would have to probably use a 4L60E instead of the 700R4. Is it easier to swap a complete stock harness or get a painless harness to do it?
Old 01-22-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it is easy enough.. please use the FAQ Sticky at the top and search .. as there seem to be new thread asking this same question weekly..

Hawk 3rd Generation has everything you need... as well as a few other known supplier of hardware and equipement for his swap.

Just get the harness with the LS1 and all of the Accessories and have it converted to a standalone harness. Would not suggest Painless. Talk too speartech for your harness and PCM needs..
Old 01-22-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bczee is right man.. this question pops up regularily. This one is just a page or two back...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/641467-how-hard-lsx-swap-3rd-gen-fbody.html

Also, check on thirdgen.org . Lots more thirdgen oriented info over there. Between the two sites, you should be able to accumulate all the info you can handle.

Justin
Old 01-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Like bczee noted, Hawks 3rd gen. is the place to check out. Here's you a link.
http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...S&Category=691
Old 01-22-2007, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

IMO, leave your IROC alone, and get a 93-02 V6 car to swap, its much much easier, you can use the LS1 k member, the LS1 gas tank, lines etc etc...

i had an 85 IROC, and an LS1, i ended up trading the IROC for a V6 camaro to swap the motor into becuase it was going to be much easier and cheaper.

LS1 tank goes into the third gen... and you just need to get motor and trans mounts, and for about $300 you can have the motor and trans physicaly in the car, then the headaches of swap start... getting wiring etc.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cop car... I totally agree that a 93-97 v6 car would be easier for him. But there is such a HUGE difference in appearance between those two cars. In my opinion, the 93-97 camaros and firebirds are a love em or hate em type of car. I personally never liked them. Although I know of a few that really catch my eye and wouldnt mind owning. I love the lines of a thirdgen. 4th gens are great too.

If he does the swap with a donor car like I did, about the only headache will be wiring as you said. However with the donor car comes the relay boxes and plugs etc. Its super easy to cut out what you arent using, hook power to the boxes, plug the engine into their stock plugs, and basically be able to run it. Then the only thing he needs to do is get fuel to the engine and disable vats.

If the wiring seems wayyyy too nightmareish for you...you can always plop down alittle more cash and go with a speartech ready to go harness. Everyone seems to love them, and while I never used one of their products, I did call their shop with a tech question, and they were nice enough to help me out even though I wasnt a customer.

Post up a couple pics of your car when you get a chance!!! I dig the 88+ IROCS

Justin
Old 01-23-2007, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

another reason why i chose the 4th gen is that the chassis is much stiffer.. and i desired to turn it into a handling car eventualy also
Old 01-23-2007, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

forget the wiring and go carbed
Old 01-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

I'm with ghetto cruiser here, technically it would be alot easier in a later model car, but if he wants to drop it into a iroc go for it. I am in the process of doing just that myself. I've accumulated everything but the motor and k member. It's all personal preference. Ever since I was little I fell in love with the third gen camaros, now that I'm old enough to get what I want I figure I clash the beatiful body of a third gen with the grunt of a 4th gen. The best of both worlds.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Classic example tonight.. Guy was picking up a rear end and I showed him my 92 TA.

"Old School huh?" was his first words.

"Not quite" was my reply as I popped the hood.

Kevin D.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

wow...thirdgens are old school already??

cant wait until i can pop the hood of my car and have my nice new motor in there
Old 01-25-2007, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 92zcamaroperson
wow...thirdgens are old school already??
He's a 4th gen guy and hardly older then my car.

Kevin D.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Launching!

hey man i did my own 86 rioc swop in 2 weeks from a running 305 tunned port to a running ls1 with most guages .... then did the interior swop and now i have all the guages and interior minus door pads and seats but im going to be doing that soon as the factory seat cant handle the power with me in it haha. anyways you have any qyestions PM me and ill give you all the info you need. ....... whats the plan tho 6 speed or auto?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cop Car
another reason why i chose the 4th gen is that the chassis is much stiffer.. and i desired to turn it into a handling car eventualy also
Drive in a "like new suspension-ed" third gen and youll take that comment back. Yes a lot of these cars with the many many miles and abuse on them will not handle like they should and will feel loose. But drive one that is in like new shape or just drive mine and youll have a whole different perception.

Third Gens werent known for there horsepower, they were known there great handling and of course looks...they have beautiful lines.

On the topic of ls1 swap...just get on over to thirdgen.org and ull find all you need to know. Its been done lots and lots of times and there are plenty of guys over there to give you pointers and tips. Good luck.

Quick Reply: How hard to do a LS1 swap in a 3rd Gen?