PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car dies when load hits when first put in gear and can't figure out the fix....

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car dies when load hits when first put in gear and can't figure out the fix....

Basically, if I set the tb set screw to make everything ideal with the iac steps at idle, it will idle awesome in park/neutral, but as soon as I put it in gear, it dies, but if I give a quick blip of the throttle as I put it in gear, it will be fine and idle fine. As soon as the load hits when it goes into gear, the iac steps jump up, but it's not enough or not quick enough to keep it goin. Now here's the problem, how the hell do I fix this, cuz the computer does not know when the car is going in gear to compensate with extra air since i'm running a turbo 400 in the car. If I open up the throttle blade to where it doesn't die when put in gear, it starts surging really badly in park/neutral when the load is gone cuz it has too much air and the iac counts are at zero, so it can't close anymore to stop some airflow to kill the surging. Also (i'm assuming b/c of the big cam) I have very little vacuum at idle (the map kpa is really high, between 75 and 80), and have no vacuum leaks, and i'm sure the shitty vacuum isn't helping the situation either.

So are there any guys on here that have a t400 or glide in the car with a radical setup that got it working, cuz it wasn't so bad with the stock intake (would surge in park/neutral, but only like up 100 rpm, then back down and so on, so it wasn't really noticeable), but as soon as I put the 90mm on, it made a little problem a really big and annoying problem (now it idles up to 1200 and swings up to like 2000, back down to 1200, back up, and so on)!!! Thanks for any help guys, cuz i've been fighting this for a while and it's really starting to get on my nerves!!!

PS - Right now the car is SD mode while i'm dialing in my ve table, and then i'll be throwing the maf back on and dialing it in.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try looking at the extra air for accessory load, or stall saver etc.
You can also raise your idle to sort you out.

Also sounds like you need to do your RAF table.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:04 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ringram

Exactly!
Old 01-22-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Where is your timing at for idle?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ringram

I tried raising everything in both the extra air for accessory load tables and tried puttin in numbers for the stall saver with no change. I used the rafig map and it shows everything perfect, logs 0 in all cells right from cold startup till warm. I already have the idle set at 1050 when warm. I just got home from work and went to unload the car off the trailer (went to a buddies house 3 hours away yesterday to try and sort this out and by the time I got home last night I was too tired to unload it) and not even a hint of stalling when I put it in gear, cold idle is set at 1250, it dropped 50 - 100 rpm when I put it in gear, but stayed beautiful with no hint of stall, so other than the desired airflow at that cold temp and idle rpm, what else could be different? Should I copy the number at that temperature the rest of the way down in the desired airflow table and bump up the idle rpm when warm to say 1150 instead of 1050 and see if that fixes it? Are there any other tables I should look at that would change for idle when the car warms up that I should change?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Where is your timing at for idle?
I gotta take a look at the laptop, gimme a minute and i'll hop on it and check and post up a copy of my tune that's in there right now.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok, here's a copy of my tune:
Attached Files
File Type: tun
SDAutoVE_0017.tun (474.8 KB, 179 views)
Old 01-22-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Devon's what's your A/F at idle and does it do any weird spikes when you shift it into gear?

Told ya we need to use my Roadrunner on that bit(h

AFTER I use it on my car though
Old 01-22-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Devon what's your A/F at idle and does it do any weird spikes when you shift it into gear?

Told ya we need to use my Roadrunner on that bit(h

AFTER I use it on my car though

Quick Reply: Car dies when load hits when first put in gear and can't figure out the fix....