Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible upgrades?

ok, this spring im going to be having my t56 rebuilt getting a new clutch etc. while im having the transmision rebuilt i thought it might be a good time to do a few things to the engine, i was thinking mostly valvetrain such as a set of springs/retainers, rocker arms and possibly pushrods and a mild cam. my engine is completely stock (at least i assume the last owner didnt do anything)i plan on eventually upgrading more of the internals as i get the $$ to do so and i thought the valvetrain would be a good place to start

my question is: what is the difference between single and dual springs, is it worth getting titanium retainers, if i do get rocker arms should i get 1.7:1 or 1.8:1 and what is the diference and what size/brand pushrods and cam should i consider? is there anything else i should consider doing while i have the heads off?

thanks
john
Old 01-23-2007, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

oh also, i know i wont need a tune for the springs/retainers but whould i for the rocker arms? i would def get one if i upgrade the cam (want it running its best )
Old 01-23-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, the dual spring issue depends on how aggressive the cam is, if its a high lift fast ramp cam then yeah dual springs. BTW if your not gonna swap the heads you can change the cam, springs, pushrods, an retainers without pulling the heads off. Stick with 1.7 RR's too. Titanium retainers are really nice and will work well with any setup.

I would not be stepping up for a cam until I had full exhaust and intake systems already done.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

dual springs have a higher lift rate than a single spring. ti retainers help lighten up the valvetrain some and come with most dual spring kits. stock rockers should suffice for whatever cam you choose to get. pushrod length will depend on the size of the cam's base circle. the cam you pick depends on what you are looking for.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NviouSS
dual springs have a higher lift rate than a single spring. ti retainers help lighten up the valvetrain some and come with most dual spring kits. stock rockers should suffice for whatever cam you choose to get. pushrod length will depend on the size of the cam's base circle. the cam you pick depends on what you are looking for.
Well said
Old 01-23-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by johnpr
oh also, i know i wont need a tune for the springs/retainers but whould i for the rocker arms? i would def get one if i upgrade the cam (want it running its best )
youll need a tune after a cam swap, forget the cam and do all the boltons first.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if i do get rocker arms should i get 1.7:1 or 1.8:1 and what is the diference
You don't need new rockers.

and what size/brand pushrods
The stock size pushrod 7.400 will work, although with a smaller base circle cam, some people go with 7.425 for reduced valvetrain noise.

im going to be having my t56 rebuilt getting a new clutch etc. while im having the transmision rebuilt i thought it might be a good time to do a few things to the engine
Consider getting a new slave cylinder while your in there.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

thanks guys, alot of useful info, i saw on the ws6 store site the "98-02 Comp Cams "RPM" Valvetrain Upgrade Kits" it comes w/ the springs, steel retainers, and pushrods for around $300 , i think i might get that kit. i'll wait on the rocker arms and cam until i get a few other things done to the car, im doing a catback at the same time but waiting on headers etc till next winter, i might look into doing the intake this spring now instead of the cam. ill also look into the slave cylinder
thanks again
john