TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch LS7 NOT Working

Quick list of parts installed:

LS2 Flywheel
LS7 Clutch Kit
01 master
01 slave

All new parts. Properly Installed and Bled.

No luck getting the clutch to work.

Dropped the tranny 2 times. Double checked everything.

I even adjusted the pressure plate as indicated thru the gm service links.

Put in a spec 3 shim behind the slave. And no luck.

Basically the ******* clutch wont disengage. 1st gear wont go in, just grinds.

Reverse forget it no reverse.

I'm very disappointed my car has not driveable in one month now.!
Old 01-28-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wish I would have just bought and installed a clutch made for my car and not tried to make this LS7 work on my car. I know you guys have had better luck. SO great for you.

At this point i'm sick of ******* with the car and i'm thinking of buying a stock setup and having a shop do it. I'm in no mood to waste another weekend ******* with the car.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

WHat can I do to get GM to warranty or refund the money on the clutch?
Old 01-28-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might be able to get a new one under warranty.. but when I installed mine I could have swore somthing was wrong with it too. I just had to bleed the **** out of it and PUSH the pedal all the way to the floor pretty much as hard as I could to get it to disengage. It only took about 10 miles like that and it started to get better and I didnt have to slam it to the floor every gear.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have driven the car like 30 miles and nothing. The clutch never fully disengages. Its not getting any better.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Before you blame the clutch, bleed the clutch, I ran almost a full bottle of brake fluid through the system before mine worked flawlessly. Bleed it manually, don't try any shortcuts. Crack the bleeder valve with a 1/4" drive ratchet and i think a 10mm socket, have a friend push in the clutch and hold it, close the valve, pump clutch, crack bleeder, push in clutch and hold, close valve, pump clutch. Make sure all the while the fluid level is checked. Don't forget there is a friggin black boot thing in the master cylinder, I bled the clutch for like 20 minutes thinking the fluid level wasn't changing, figured out there is that boot in there and the damn master cylinder was empty so we had to rebleed for a good 45 minutes, grr.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

WS6.Jay..........trust me bro. Its been fully bled. I bled it thru the bleeder 5 times. Then mighty vac, Took it for a drive got it hot, bled mighty vac again. Cooled down and re bled in thru bleeder screw 4 times and then mighty vac again. Took it for a drive still the same. Its like the ****** clutch just wont disengage enuff to let 1st gear go in.

WHen I manage to start the car in gear it moves forward and its hard as **** to shift. It only shifts when the car starts to move. If I start it in 1st, it will go into the other gears only at the right rpm except of course reverse. oh and once I take it out of 1st there is no putting back.!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad master? Bad slave? ever thought one of those may be your culprit? It takes two people to bleed the clutch properly using the old crack the bleeder method. It's worked fine for me everytime, even once where my dad accidently pumped it with the bleeder cracked open and all I could say was oh **** as I heard it pump and each pump sucking in air...
Old 01-28-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

slave and master both brand new, and yes It was bled with 2 people. Its easy to say bad master or slave. but its not feasible to just be swapping them out like if there were something like a spark plug.

first off they arent in stock, never locally.
second I have to drop the tranny
third the master is a major PITA too.......

I kno what your sayin though.........
Old 01-28-2007, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like my clutch. Mine was a factory deffected pressure plate. It wasnt as bad as yours though. Sometimes mine will work and sometimes it wont. I have changed out my master and slave also, and it did nothing. I dont know why but there are quite a few of these deffects out there I have heard of 3 or 4 people in like the last two weeks with the same problems.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

well thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

for not thinkin im an idiot...
honestly i still feel like it for going with this ******* clutch.!! nightmare.........!!!

Wanna hear something else........

In order to adjust the pressure plate u have to compress the clutch fingers....
well we had to compress them further than you would think, in order to make the adjustment, just seems like the fingers need to compress way more than the damn slave could ever push.....!!!!!

weird huh.......
Old 02-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
well thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

for not thinkin im an idiot...
honestly i still feel like it for going with this ******* clutch.!! nightmare.........!!!

Wanna hear something else........

In order to adjust the pressure plate u have to compress the clutch fingers....
well we had to compress them further than you would think, in order to make the adjustment, just seems like the fingers need to compress way more than the damn slave could ever push.....!!!!!

weird huh.......
So it sounds like the issue is with the slave cylinder not fully depressing the pressure plate fingers when the clutch is disengaged.

Perhaps the LS7 slave cylinder is a different part number?? I don't know.

Heres some info I found from LS1GTO.com regarding the pressure plate adjustments:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128966

Post #5 has the adjustment instructions.

Hope that helps.