Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Manual shifting hurt a stock 4L60E?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does Manual shifting hurt a stock 4L60E?

wondering if shifting a stock 4L60E manually (1 - 2 - D) will hurt anything. Anything to be concerned with downshifting?
Old 01-28-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have never understood why it would hurt in racing applications.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

its will not hurt anything though it has been noted that upshifting directly to the overdrive position right before the 2-3 shift seems to give a better shift

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-28-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by performabuilt
its will not hurt anything though it has been noted that upshifting directly to the overdrive position right before the 2-3 shift seems to give a better shift
How much abuse does that give the trans doing that?
Old 01-28-2007, 05:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

really none if your speaking of the manual shift or the skip , in fact the manual shift has some pluses , when in manual 1 the overun clutch and the low reverse clutch are on helping to support both sprags , manual second is no different that auto second , manual third do leave a little to be desired since the overun clutch which goes off during the second shift comes back on taking fluild away from the 3-4 clutch, Thats why shifting directly to overdrive from second is and improvment over shifting to the D position though if times wrong it may not be of help you would have to make the move before the 2-3 shift starts which would take a little practice ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-29-2007, 12:37 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

When manually upshifting the overrun clutch does not come off till you actually go into overdrive. When downshifting you need to give it throttle the same time you backshift the lever, then you can let off of the throttle to allow engine braking to slow you down quicker. Do not backshift the lever without giving it a little throttle, as you can wear the clutches/band prematurely.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:10 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by PBA
Do not backshift the lever without giving it a little throttle, as you can wear the clutches/band prematurely.
oops when i go from D to 3 (OD to D), i always take my foot off the gas, let my speed and rpm's fall, then do it. it's better to keep your foot on the gas while going from overdrive to drive? never knew that...
Old 01-29-2007, 01:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well you are asking the two very small overun clutches to do alot of holding when you do that

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-29-2007, 01:37 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Well you are asking the two very small overun clutches to do alot of holding when you do that
when you downshift from overdrive to drive under no throttle, or downshift from overdrive to drive under throttle?
Old 01-29-2007, 03:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

hmm i see all this as talk, im not quite understanding, everytime ive been in a A4 car and its been manually down shifted or even another type of automatic transmission, they havent liked it...its like slamming the tranny....and now i see these people saying its ok?...however i dont think upshifting would be near as bad as down shifting

ive never done it in my car, and why the hell would anyone want to manually shift a auto?...why not just hook up a tuning suite and beat yourself to the punch?...your not going to outshift a built/programmed tranny.....manually shifted a4 or m6....just doesnt happen

the parts in these stock a4's arent exactly set up for manually shifting a auto anyway...the clutchs and servos are ****

just for fun go out and put you tranny in neutral....rev it to like 3500 rpms and drop it into drive... then come back and tell me if you think thats healthy
Old 01-29-2007, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

yea reving up to 3500 and then dumping it into drive isn't very smart. But there is not a problem in manually shifting, in fact the the cars pcm won't let you down shift until you are at a certain rpm anyway. Just get the feel for it and at what rpms it will downshift and upshift in and do it. I have proven to myself many times that manually shifting is much faster than racing it in 3rd(D) or OD. Its the only way I run with it now.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by staringback05

ive never done it in my car, and why the hell would anyone want to manually shift a auto?...why not just hook up a tuning suite and beat yourself to the punch?...your not going to outshift a built/programmed tranny.....manually shifted a4 or m6....just doesnt happen
Are you talking just drag racing or road racing too. I believe a skilled driver in a properly built manual could still match or better the auto equipped car in a road race. Not every time but it does happen.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by staringback05
hmm i see all this as talk, im not quite understanding, everytime ive been in a A4 car and its been manually down shifted or even another type of automatic transmission, they havent liked it...its like slamming the tranny....and now i see these people saying its ok?...however i dont think upshifting would be near as bad as down shifting

the parts in these stock a4's arent exactly set up for manually shifting a auto anyway...the clutchs and servos are ****

just for fun go out and put you tranny in neutral....rev it to like 3500 rpms and drop it into drive... then come back and tell me if you think thats healthy
i manually upshift every now and then. sometimes i do it just for the fun factor, or when i'm trying to get around someone at a redlight making a left onto a 2 lane road. by the time i make the turn i'll be in 2nd at 20 mph and in the biggest dead spot known to man with 2.73's. sometime i'll hold first just to get around them.

as for manually downshifting, i've only done it a few times. i don't road race much at all, and the times i do go WOT i start in 3 from a dig. the few times i have manually downshifted, i've taken my foot off the gas completely, let the RPM's fall as far as they can while cruising with no throttle and putting it from D->3.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

this thread was intended for just cruising purposes...when im racing i just leave it ni OD
Old 01-29-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

So if your going from a low roll like 20ish and have it in 1st nail it and go strait to D its ok? Ive done that before and the car takes off like a raped ape but figured it was hard on the trans
Old 01-29-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

i just leave it in OD! i dont manual shift or anything.. i just leave it in OD and let the tranny do its job.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

The only way I can turn a corner and get on it is to leave it in first and baby it till its straight then hammer it and shift. Having 4.10s in an auto is a bit much ( I bought it like that) so if I turn easy and leave it in od it will be in second by the time I am straight. And when it downshifts into first the tires go up in smoke and the car starts to drift. It can be fun but if you are trying to take off fast it doesnt work to well.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

As I said earlier manual upshifts with the exception of the 2-3 shift are from a strength of trans stand point better overall not to say that od properly tuned for shifts is not as fast or faster , As far as downshifts go, downshifts under throttle do not pose any problem however as mentioned high speed downshifts at 0 throttle may wear the overun clutch or burn it if done excessively ,There are only two of them they have a small apply piston and low clutch surface area, Though I dont think even this would be a big issue unless done alot at high speeds

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-30-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

Just my opinion of course.

I love to manually shift my auto. I killed 2 60Es doing it.
I installed a TH400 with a manual valve body. All is good.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Teching In

So if i wanted to manually downshift it is better to give it alittle throttle while moving the shifter back a gear.

Quick Reply: Does Manual shifting hurt a stock 4L60E?