Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pre - buildup question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pre - buildup question

Ok as my sig says i need a good tranny. I've never rebuild a tranny before but i think i can do it since i've rebuilt 2 engines with no problems. fist i want to get the atsg books n go from there. My questions is....if i buy a 4l65, what parts will i be able to reuse because I can get one for $500 locally i think it's a good deal IMO but i could be wrong.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

well core prices vary wildly over the country and from dealer to dealer. but thats probably not real bad provided its really a 4l65e since I have noted that every core supplier in the country seems to think that any ls1 type 4l60e is a 4l65e ,
As for reusable parts virtually all the hard parts with the exception of the sunshell. And of course bushings etc,
I will advise however if your goal is to do this as a learning experience and you have plenty of time I say go for it, however if this is for a daily driver you need, by the time your done and get the appropriate tools and materials you will have as much or more in it than you would just buying a built unit in both time and money. And you wont have a warranty.
In either case if we can be of help either with advise or a trans let us know we don't mind helping people who want to learn,

Call 888-744-6542