Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Performance Parts LS1 to LS6 Conversion Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GM Performance Parts LS1 to LS6 Conversion Package

What are your thoughts on this GM Performance Parts LS1 to LS6 Conversion Package:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...2&autoview=sku

The car is my daily drive in the summer. I want something reliable but with more power. I was thinking about this kit and headers. I also have a nitrous kit that I might install for occational track use.

Jason
Old 01-29-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a similar thread to what you posted that I remember posting in. You'll get similar responses in your thread and expect a lot of "why would you do that when you can do this" remarks.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

if ya look around you can get all the parts for the conversion for under $1200 easy if your looking to save money...if not, go for it
Old 01-29-2007, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98redM6
Here is a similar thread to what you posted that I remember posting in. You'll get similar responses in your thread and expect a lot of "why would you do that when you can do this" remarks.
The "why would you do that when you can do this" remarks might be good. I’m new to the LSX word and I probably should consider a few different options.

Jason
Old 01-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Teching In

you can do a lot better for almost the exact same price. i take it you are looking for a smog-legal setup? You should get a tune with ANY head/cam package so you might as well go a "step up" and then get the car's codes "adjusted" for the rear O2 sensors/etc.

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=204&catid=47

look into something like the above...i'm sure others will chime in with their own thoughts ... good luck!
Old 01-29-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

TEXAS SPEED AND PERFORMANCE PRC HEADS are your best choice.

As far as a cam goes, you can get something bigger than the LS6 cam to give you more.

maby: Thunder racing CheaTR Cam or A GT2-3 lingenfelter cam ,smooooth stock sounding.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 408 z28
if ya look around you can get all the parts for the conversion for under $1200 easy if your looking to save money...if not, go for it
$1200 for everything? Really? Heads/Cam/Intake?
Old 01-29-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by South
What are your thoughts on this GM Performance Parts LS1 to LS6 Conversion Package:

The car is my daily drive in the summer. I want something reliable but with more power. I was thinking about this kit and headers. I also have a nitrous kit that I might install for occational track use.

Jason
check out the newest issue of GM High Tech Performance, they have plenty of packages in there that would be better horsepower to $$$ ratio... it'll atleast give you a good idea of what you can get for your money.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000TransAmWS6
check out the newest issue of GM High Tech Performance, they have plenty of packages in there that would be better horsepower to $$$ ratio... it'll atleast give you a good idea of what you can get for your money.

The March issue? I'm still waiting for that one to be delivered.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Jason
Waste IMO. There are so many better options out there in the aftermarket.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brad8266
Waste IMO. There are so many better options out there in the aftermarket.
What would you suggest?
Old 01-30-2007, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

What would you suggest?
If you dont have it yet, full exhaust and a stall first. Then a small cam (224'ish) package and if you have a little more $$ get heads with the cam. TSP by far has the best bang for the buck heads/cam packages and they make great power.

The gains you would get from the setup you posted would be extremely minimal for the amount of $$ and amount of work required to put it together.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

If you dont have it yet, full exhaust and a stall first. Then a small cam package and if you have a little more $$ get heads with the cam.
I ment which after market head/cam package would you recomend. The GM Performance Parts LS1 to LS6 Conversion Package is basically just a head/cam package.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

I ment which after market head/cam package would you recomend. The GM Performance Parts LS1 to LS6 Conversion Package is basically just a head/cam package.
I did mention a head/cam package. If you are intent on the stock exhaust then the cheatr cam fom thunder is a popular stock exhaust cam, and pick up a set of heads from TSP.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

I did mention a head/cam package. If you are intent on the stock exhaust then the cheatr cam fom thunder is a popular stock exhaust cam, and pick up a set of heads from TSP.
Sorry, somehow I missed TSP in you previous post. For the exhaust I have an after cat system already and would like to install long tube headers at the same time as the heads and cam. These are the headers I’m considering – they seem to be a good value:

Pacesetter Headers, Full-Length, Ceramic Coated
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Hedman Street Hedders, Full-Length, Ceramic Coated
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 01-30-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah pacesetters are a good header. In that case you would have full exhaust and i would go with a 224'ish cam/heads package, it will give you lots of power while retaining complete daily driving ability.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Teching In

South - look at a TSP (www.texas-speed.com) heads/cam setup. I included a link in my first post on here. After a quick config on their site, i came up with this:

PRC Stg 1.5 5.3L Heads
Texas Speed 228R Camshaft
Ported LS6 Oil Pump
Rollmaster Single Roller Timing Set
Heads and Cam GM Bolt / Gasket Kit

TOTAL: 1,931.97

That's about $100 more than what you were looking at on SummitRacing. You'll put down quite a bit more power with something like this. You will still need to get the car tuned and have the emissions "taken care of". The package listed above includes some items that you don't NEED. You can get an LS2 timing chain instead and save about 80 bucks; get a normal ls6 oil pump and save 40 bucks, etc. There will be other things you need, mainly tools!!! which will add to the cost.

I just bought the TSP torquer v.2 camshaft and it cost me 1200.00 with tools, fluids, parts, etc. I am accounting for everything - down to the 10 extra retainer locks and 2 oil pump pickup tube o-rings and 8 qrts of oil. So, factor in another 1100 for the heads and you are looking at about $2300 when it is all said and done.

You will be INFINITELY happier if you choose an aftermarket package instead of the GM package. And you will be quicker than a stock Z06 (but how many of THOSE exist, lol)

If you have an A4 - As "brad8266" said - a stall and headers (and gears) would do quite a bit as well, but you'll probably pay more for all that.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

The car is an M6.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

SOUTH:

This is off topic but I just wanted to say VERY NICE times on the GTP, I bought my Z28 after my 00 GTP got wrecked. I miss that car sometimes it used to supprise people just how fast a 4 door sedan could be.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSWon00
SOUTH:

This is off topic but I just wanted to say VERY NICE times on the GTP, I bought my Z28 after my 00 GTP got wrecked. I miss that car sometimes it used to supprise people just how fast a 4 door sedan could be.
Thanks! The GP is a lot of fun to drive (in a straight line). I’ve recently added a home made washer fluid injection kit and was able to turn up the boost to 19 PSI (with no KR), so I’m hoping future track results will be even better.

Jason

Quick Reply: GM Performance Parts LS1 to LS6 Conversion Package