Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

forged LS1 H/C, FI, bolt ons, how much power?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default forged LS1 H/C, FI, bolt ons, how much power?

so someone just posted a video of a ZO6 with a forged LS1, 581 lift comp cam, 205cc ported heads, small pulley, and procharger making a little over 700rwhp & getting a couple of car lengths away from a 48x RWHP vette.

my question is, what kind of power could I expect by doing that to my F-body? I already have the same cam, but P&P LS6 heads, intake, long tubes, etc and it pushes 420rwhp. edit: I don't have a procharger........yet

new question:
what would it cost me to rebuild my LS1 block? (not having to pay a grand or two for labor). it does have 101k on it, so would a rebuild do or just a new pre-built block? I'm assuming I'd go with different heads & cam, so there's a sell & buy upgrade. I can use the stock crank but a larger stroked crankshaft wouldn't hurt, also... we'll most likely be buying used... for pistons, connecting rods & pushrods, studs, bearrings/gaskets, rings, timing chain, and maybe a ported oil pump. if I do this, forced induction won't come for quite a while.

Last edited by candlelit; 02-09-2007 at 02:53 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:27 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are only making 420 with a procharger? How much boost are you running???
Old 02-08-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry to misinform. I don't have a procharger. just curious how much I could see with one on a forge LS1 block
Old 02-08-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well...about the same. The motors would be equivalent....

You will obviously need to get rid of your heads because they will have to much compression. You can probably make however much horsepower that you want. With a forged block...you will be able to make quite a bit of boost. Depending upon your choice of which procharger that you go with...

I would highly recommend doing some research into forced induction if you have not already have done so. Lots and Lots to learn.....and even more money to spend. Making that kind of hp does not come easy..and certainly does not come cheap. It is one thing to make that kind of hp for one run on the dyno...and another to have a safe, quality motor that runs well for a long time to come. The fuel system needs work along with just about every thing else that you could think of.

My best advise would be to do your homework....talk to people and all the reputable speed shops that specialize in forced induction. Take your time.......

Cuz I think that the process, and the road to 700+ rwhp.......is going to be quite the eye opener for you. Make sure that you understand everything that it takes. It is a long journey to build a quality car to make and maintain that kind of hp...as well as a car that is able to use and put the power to the ground safely.

Just my .02
Old 02-09-2007, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the support & advice guys! yeah, I've seen where major problems can exsist with FI. and how you need a big fuel pump, bigger injectors, new fuel lines, the supporting cast, & psi caution.

here's a new question (I posted it up top also)...
what would it cost me to rebuild my LS1 block? (not having to pay a grand or two for labor). it does have 101k on it, so would a rebuild do or just a new pre-built block? I'm assuming I'd go with different heads & cam, so there's a sell & buy upgrade. I can use the stock crank but a larger stroked crankshaft wouldn't hurt, also... we'll most likely be buying used... for pistons, connecting rods & pushrods, studs, bearrings/gaskets, rings, timing chain, and maybe a ported oil pump.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can get a very nice block for $2500-3200 from most of the sponsors.

Haven't quite decided on what I feel like doing yet next winter either. Not sure if I'll buy one of those blocks customized, or if I'll just pick up a good condition shortblock and go through it with some better parts. I should probably just go and do the 6.0L thing for a few more CI of displacement. We'll see.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

you would probably get out alot cheaper going for around 600 rw or so.if you do the work yourself keep the heads you have and just get a fairly big dish piston,whatever cc it takes to get down to around 9:0-9:5 scr, along with a good set of rods.then get some 60 lb injectors and a procharger d1 kit with the front mount intercooler.oh yeah, you will need dual intank pumps also.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:35 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SDPC is building my forged 347. I would have went with a 383 if I had a D1SC, but that would probably be too much displacement for a P-1SC to fill. Bob @ EPP told me a 347 would probably make more power than a 383 with my P-1SC because it would make more boost. My goal is 600 RWHP, and I think I'll get in that range fairly easily with a 9.4:1 SCR shortblock with LQ9 heads, and a speed inc SC1 cam. I hope to be up and running in a month or so. We'll see how it all turns out

Last edited by ChevyChad; 02-09-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

a new build shortblock for around $2500-$3000 has convinced me. would buying a slightly used LS2 block be better than a forged LS1?

Chad, how much are they charging you to rebuild your block? is it already forged?