Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Push clutch to start car question????

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Push clutch to start car question????

On a 2000 Firebird V6 5-speed is there a way to disable what ever devise that makes you have to push the clutch in to start the car?

I think the switch is going out, I had the same thing happen on my 92 F150 manual and my dad's friend rigged something to bypass that feature and it fixed the problem. Unfortunately that friend moved away ....lol

Any info would be appreciated!

Thnx David
Old 02-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Teching In

clutch safety switch, kinda like park/neutral saftey switches on auto's. ive read you can bypass it with just a paperclip before. search im sure your'll find it, ill look around for you too.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

the switch is on your clutch pedal. It's the black switch on the top I believe. The white one is for your cruise shut off. Just connect the two wires together. The switch isn't that expensive though and it's a good safety feature to have. I've accidentally gone to start the car a few times without the clutch in just not realizing and without that switch the car would have jumped into the other car in front of me. But it's up to you
Old 02-15-2007, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

time to use the parking brake alot more. lol jk i think i've accidentally popped the clutch with the parkign brake on once while the car was just idling and it does still; jump quite a bit. the only reason i would by pass this is so runa remote start lol but i don't drive the car in winter i would replace it. unless you trying to figure out if the switch is bad and that why you want to by pass it. just make shure to hook it up again. i could be wrong tho
Old 02-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Thnx for the fast response guys! I will take a look and see what I can do. Keep the feed back coming!!!!

Thnx David
Old 02-16-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

there should be a part number on the switch if you take it to a dealership, otherwise just tell them you need a clutch safety start switch. I think it was 20 bucks. well worth the insurance of not ramming another car when you try to start it.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:55 AM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just go to the dealer and get a new neutral safety switch. Shouldn't be more than $30-$40

It's worth the money and it's nice to know that you won't run somebody over because you were to cheap to replace an inexpensive switch.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Richie Carbone
Just go to the dealer and get a new neutral safety switch. Shouldn't be more than $30-$40

It's worth the money and it's nice to know that you won't run somebody over because you were to cheap to replace an inexpensive switch.

You're right, and while I am at it I might as well install a heads up display in the ol' fireturd so I won't run someone over the 1/2 second I am looking down at the speedo

Thnx for the feed back everyone, I think I can handle it from here...

Thnx David

Quick Reply: Push clutch to start car question????