PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Surges & Misses After Tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surges & Misses After Tune

Hey guys....long story made short: Tuned this guys 5.3 Silverado with a Diablosport Tuner. The truck runs like a beast from dead stop to 80MPH....then at 80MPH the truck will surge and buck like it's missing. You can hold the throttle to the floor and it will surge and buck but not go any faster than 80MPH. What's the deal? Do I need to go in and tweak something or is there somehting I'm not aware of with the Diablo Tuner?
Old 02-17-2007, 08:30 AM
FormerVendor

You sure the truck is doing 80MPH? 5.3L's have a stock speed limit of 98. If he has changed wheels, tires, gears, etc. the MPH could be off. Is the truck throwing any codes or do you have any scan data? What do the spark, ETC (if so equipped) and KR look like when this occurring?
Old 02-17-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by John-SDPC
You sure the truck is doing 80MPH? 5.3L's have a stock speed limit of 98. If he has changed wheels, tires, gears, etc. the MPH could be off. Is the truck throwing any codes or do you have any scan data? What do the spark, ETC (if so equipped) and KR look like when this occurring?
Haven't done any data logging to see what the KR looks like but I do know that the truck has all stock sze tires ans stock 3.73 rear ratio. No SES lamps yet...but the surge is bad enough that you think the truck will die.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

fuel filter, low fuel volume, dirt maf. return to stock tune and see if it still does it. If the truck is fine then the tune has problems.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 534 Likes on 378 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

A friend pissed me off once, so when I tuned his silverado ss, I put a sammy hagar cd in his stereo and set the speed limiter to 54mph. I'm sure your problem is different, however.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an evil thing to do, but I sure did laugh! I must remember this.

Originally Posted by gametech
A friend pissed me off once, so when I tuned his silverado ss, I put a sammy hagar cd in his stereo and set the speed limiter to 54mph. I'm sure your problem is different, however.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

That is fukin hilarious.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregory
This is an evil thing to do, but I sure did laugh! I must remember this.

Yeah no ****..... Sammy Hagar
Old 02-18-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 534 Likes on 378 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

He likes rap, so "I can't drive 55" was perfect. BTW, my deepest apologies for unintentionally threadjacking the original post.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gametech
He likes rap, so "I can't drive 55" was perfect. BTW, my deepest apologies for unintentionally threadjacking the original post.

No problem on the hijacking.....the comedy was great!
Old 02-19-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

I returned the tune to the stock tune, and drove the vehicle and got to 98 before the OEM govener shut me down....and it ran smooth.

Put the tune back in and at 88 MPH the truck started missing again. I guess it's time to call Diablosport and examine their terrible customer service.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
I returned the tune to the stock tune, and drove the vehicle and got to 98 before the OEM govener shut me down....and it ran smooth.

Put the tune back in and at 88 MPH the truck started missing again. I guess it's time to call Diablosport and examine their terrible customer service.
Whoah there buddy!
How does a problem with the tune have anything at all to do with Diablosports cutomer service? I go out of my way to help anyone on this forum with any problems or issues they may have concerning their Diablosport products, so I take that as a bit of a slap in my face. You should at least try calling us before you post about 'terrible customer service'.

I hope you made an honest error and meant to say you would call us about the issue you were having with the Predator.
Terrible customer service aside, make sure you have both speed limiter settings (with ETC and without ETC) set to off. If so, and the problem is persisting, please contact our tech support at 561-908-0040 or post on our tech support forums on our website.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2007, 01:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are the guy answering the phone for Diablo?
Old 02-19-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sprayjunkie
Whoah there buddy!
How does a problem with the tune have anything at all to do with Diablosports cutomer service? I go out of my way to help anyone on this forum with any problems or issues they may have concerning their Diablosport products, so I take that as a bit of a slap in my face. You should at least try calling us before you post about 'terrible customer service'.

I hope you made an honest error and meant to say you would call us about the issue you were having with the Predator.
Terrible customer service aside, make sure you have both speed limiter settings (with ETC and without ETC) set to off. If so, and the problem is persisting, please contact our tech support at 561-908-0040 or post on our tech support forums on our website.

Thanks

Dude, I didn't mean to offend...but have YOU tried calling your Customer Assistance line? I stayed on hold for 27:31 minutes (yes I timed it). And still I never got any humans to respond to me...so I hung up.

I HAVE called your tech support and I didn't enjoy the hold time.

I trust your word, so I will try you guys one more time. If you fail to help me out this time, then Summitt will have to refund the customers money and we will try a diffrent product.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Frost
You are the guy answering the phone for Diablo?
lol....no doubt a good question. I'd like to know who answers the phone....because they never answer it for me.