Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

racing carrier and girdle

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default racing carrier and girdle

The 10 bolt came with these when I bought the car off a member at cz28.com What are they and what do the do?
Old 02-17-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "racing carrier" is what the ring gear bolts to... but there is not such thing as a "racing" carrier.

The "girdle" is the rear differential cover. It really doesnt do what people think it does...
Old 02-17-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/659094-12-bolt-better-daily-driving.html

Exotic Performance Plus believes the way a 12 bolt is connected to the TA causes distortion of the housing. Read the post for better explanation. Would a girdle help protect against this distortion?
Old 02-17-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dont need to read the post... I know the gentleman that designed the "girdle" cover, some 12 years ago. Even he will admit that its intent, was more for marketing a product and to have another product that you could sell to make money from.

What Bob was talking about is something completely un-related to your questions... and no, it will not protect against this type of distortion. Trust me... it doesnt do what most think it does. And just because this guy or that guy believes something... doesnt make it set in stone.
Will it keep the caps from distorting ?? No.
Will it keep the pinion from climbing the ring gear ?? No.
Will it keep the main caps from fracture ?? No.
Will it keep the parts in the housing when it does fail ?? Yes.

Your axle shaft will most likely fail before you get to this condition.

The problem with the cover is having too many dis-similar metals to compensate for. Sure, the cover is a great bandaid to combat main cap flex... but only if you can set up the pre-load correctly. And that is where the problems lie...

All of the dis-similar metal components used in this design theory, have different expansion and contraction rates. There is a delicate line between the correct amount of preload and too much or too little. Too much or too little is a bad thing... but to really be able to set it right... you need to know the working temperatures of the materials you are dealing with. Then you will need to educate yourself on the specifics of each material and its thermal growth... and how its thickness (or mass) effects that. Now just think... you have to do this for four different materials to come up with the correct amount of pre load. But can you do this cold or does this have to be done at temperature ??

Personally, other than myself and a few others in my circle... are the only ones that have ever instrumented different components inside an operational differential to find out these specific answers.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is the aluminum support cover(STR-OPRG10) upgrade to a Strange 12-bolt a girdle? If so, other than weight saving you must agree it isn't worth the extra $110, right? How much weight does it save anyway?
Old 02-18-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, it is a girdle type cover.

There is absolutely no weight savings, what-so-ever. It is much, much heaiver than a stock steel cover.

An no, its not worth the extra $110 spent. I would use those monies elsewhere.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How is an aluminum cover heavier than the steel one? I'd have to be at least 2x as thick.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its actually about 7x thicker that the steel cover... not to mention the additional weight of the pre-load hardware.

Quick Reply: racing carrier and girdle