Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

1st time clutch bleeder needs some serious help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 1st time clutch bleeder needs some serious help

The clutch seemed fine but everyone said to bleed it just to be safe since I just had the motor & tranny out, so I did. After "burping" the system 2 times, now I have zero clutch. The resovoir is full with fluid and I saw some fluid dripping from the bellhousing. Now as I use my hand to pump the clutch, there isnt even fluid coming out of the bleeder. I appreciate any help.

by the way I have Mcloud adj. master cyl.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
The clutch seemed fine but everyone said to bleed it just to be safe since I just had the motor & tranny out, so I did. After "burping" the system 2 times, now I have zero clutch. The resovoir is full with fluid and I saw some fluid dripping from the bellhousing. Now as I use my hand to pump the clutch, there isnt even fluid coming out of the bleeder. I appreciate any help.

by the way I have Mcloud adj. master cyl.
Sounds like the steel braided line that goes from the master to the side of the tranny isnt tightened down all the way. From what I've read its fairly hard to get it threaded on good.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I would check your connections like blk00ss said. But besides that, have you driven your car with the adj. master in there? How do you like it? I just ordered mine.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by blk00ss
Sounds like the steel braided line that goes from the master to the side of the tranny isnt tightened down all the way. From what I've read its fairly hard to get it threaded on good.
I dont understand. At the one end it has that quick connect where it just snaps into the transmission and where the line screws to the master cylinder...as far as I know it is tight and I havent messed with that end at all since I had the MC installed and it worked fine.
The only end I disconnected was the quick connect end.

Im wondering if I have air in the MC. Its wierd because the clutch seemed to be working fine and had pressure but I tried to bleed it since I installed a new motor and now I have absolutly zero pressure. man this sucks!
Old 02-25-2007, 12:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would buy a mity vac. They are only 25 bucks at harbor freight.
Cut a short peice of 3/8" gas line to slide on the bleeder valve. Loosen it a half a turn. Hook up the vac pump to the little rubber hose and pump away.
It will fill up the clear cup on the vac pump with old fluid and pull the air out of the system.

I used it a few night ago after having my tranny out. My pedal feels great. I also put in a new slave.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the lid off the master, remove the black rubber expander seal and check the fluid level. Put just he cap back on, pump it a few times and re-check the level. Does it stay the same?
Old 02-25-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JRracing
I would buy a mity vac. They are only 25 bucks at harbor freight.
Cut a short peice of 3/8" gas line to slide on the bleeder valve. Loosen it a half a turn. Hook up the vac pump to the little rubber hose and pump away.
It will fill up the clear cup on the vac pump with old fluid and pull the air out of the system.

I used it a few night ago after having my tranny out. My pedal feels great. I also put in a new slave.
I thought about that but I read alot of bad things about the mity vac, about messing up the seals and I dont wanna end up screwing this problem up even worse.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Take the lid off the master, remove the black rubber expander seal and check the fluid level. Put just he cap back on, pump it a few times and re-check the level. Does it stay the same?
Do you mean the master cylinder itself? or the little resorvior next to where you put brake fluid at? The small resorvoir is full with fluid and working the clutch now does ZERO, absolutley nothing, no pressure what so ever.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

OK I got the master cylinder out. wow that was easy. it took me exactly 19 minutes to get it out.

so now how can I tell if the master cylinder is bad? I was pushing the rod in & out and it seemed to have some pressure.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

+1 for connection checking
Old 02-25-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

hmm, you can move the acuator rod on the master? Are you opening the quick disconnect end when you are doing that becasue that is the only way you sould be able to move that rod.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

yes I have the master cylinder completly off the car and Im able to push the rod in. there is pressure when I do that.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

If you have the master out, try bleeding like this. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/buschm...utchbleed.html
Old 02-25-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

ok I got the master cylinder back in and everything is hooked up. I filled the resorvior with fluid and now I got fluid coming out of the bleeder but the clutch has ZERO pressure still. any ideas??

Also even with the clutch having no pressure at all, I can still start the car. I thought that was strange.