Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Broken New Strange Dana 60 Help (asap)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broken New Strange Dana 60 Help (asap)

ok i just installed my STRANGE dana 60 setup (with their driveshaft)... yesterday and right away i noticed:

1: a whineing noise that fades in at 30mph and back out at 70mph
2: a viberation / grinding noise at speeds over 85mph
3:the car squeeks when turning at low speeds

if i let off the gas or shift into netural these noises seem to go away...

i also installed a spon tunnle mounted tq arm yesterday and it has a -2 deg pinion angle

im gonna have a shop look at it here soon but i want to see if you all have any ideas what is wrong
Old 02-27-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The noises are amplified tremendously by the torque arm you just installed....
Old 02-27-2007, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 443 Likes on 354 Posts

I have a tunnel mounted torque arm and it didn't change the sound of my rear any. They're still isolated from the body with a rubber bushing. Not much different than the factory setup.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Ok Well The Wine Becomes Louder Than The Stock Radio....

Any Ideas?
Old 02-27-2007, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

i to have the same vibration that you have, but i have the factory TA. i still havent figured it out, dont exactly have the money to pay a shop to look at it after dropping 3 grand at strange either. mine whines to but its not bad.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok, So You Also Have The Viberation When You Get Up Towards 100mph?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Hey What Drive Shaft Are You Using...
Old 02-27-2007, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

hey i have a 12bolt strange in my car and it whines like crazy. all the time from 0 to 1xx. they say its the gears if you call strange but i call BS on that one. and the vibration i have as well. i have my stock 92 driveshaft and im going to swap for a 98-02 aluminum and see how that does. and as for the torque arm i had and aftermarket one on there with poly bushings and with it on it whines loud and with it off it whines loud.

i have a 45 min conversation with strange about there whinning diffs. and they said its because you have polly bushings and harder suspension components which i call BS cus i had all that before there diff.

im already in need of a rebuild. my pinion bearings are shot and my gears are polished from being warn out. so im going with precision gears and a rebuild kit from strange. ill let you know how that goes.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

**** **** ****!!!!

I Didnt Spend 3k For This To Happen.....

Keep Em Comming Guys...

I Want To See What Strange Is Going To Do About This
Old 02-27-2007, 03:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I had a customer from TX that had Strange buy the S60 back because is issues like this. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
Hey What Drive Shaft Are You Using...

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
Ok, So You Also Have The Viberation When You Get Up Towards 100mph?

the speedo is off so im not quite sure what the speed is but slightly faster than highway speeds is when it comes in and it doesnt do away, i can make it change alittle bit by accelerating and decelerating, but it never goes away, i am using the chromoly driveshaft from strange to. (dont know if it has a brand or anything). if strange does step in on this i think they should send out the rears then let us send the old ones back after installed so there is not down time i.e the 5 week wait , just a thought though
Old 02-27-2007, 08:11 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Start simple. First check the lube immediately. Heck change it and see if theres bits an pieces in there. Its cheap, easy, and best of all fast so you can see first hand whats going on inside. Should change the lube after the first thousand miles in every fresh diff anyways IMO. If everything looks in order then it probably is.

Although some grinding and noises are not uncommon in diffs especially the dana 60 its a giant truck rear not exactly made for niceness. Your case sounds worse so double check your install. I doubt any vibration is coming through a brand new rear causing a shudder. Theres probably something else hitting or binding up or loose etc. Thats a mighty big housing you have in there so clearances are gonna be tight. Check for center ( do you have an adjustable panhard rod? ) see if the torque arms hitting. Drive shaft bolts etc.

In short double check every single thing you can and i bet you find your cause. If nothing comes of your efforts then push harder towards Strange. When you have all the bases covered its hard for them to get one passed you with excuses.

Good luck
Old 02-27-2007, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Been there, done that.

If you bought it from strange direct, Good Luck.

Give them a call first and see what they are going to do for you. They will want you to take it to a local dealer to look at it on their dime. They replaced the R&P and all the bearings on mine, but it made just as much noise after everything was replaced. If they can't fix it, your in trouble. Look at the warranty in their catalog.

Check the TIR on the wheel mounting hubs on the end on the axles. Mine were out by .012 which caused a bad vibration that increased with MPH, just like a tire out of balance but worse.

Sucks spending that kind of money on a POS. I don't think the S60 is quite ready for us yet. Most people have some noise but as you have found out some of us are having a lot of problems. The Strange S60 still seems to be having problems with design and build quality issues. Some people swear by them, some swear at them.

I had a vendor stand up and help me out with my S60 POS. I have a nine inch from Scott @ DLS now and all is good again.

Might help to provide your gear ratio and Posi to help others diagnose your problem.

Dee Jay
Old 02-27-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

3.73...true track

so your saying to check for center, how do i do that

and what is the tri on the wheel mounting hubs?

so far strange is suppose to call me tommrow as their trying to find a deal for me to take it to

i can say theres probaly 2 different problems

the gear whine (self explainaory)
viberation and grinding.. ????
Old 02-27-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

one thing i have noticed is you can hear a metallic grinding noise kinda like a dragging caliper but only when you are turning the car (ie: when the wheel speed of each wheel is different) this leads me to believe there is a problem with the differential

also i believe this may also be related to the viberation
Old 02-27-2007, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

You measure TIR (total indicated readout) with a dial indicator. Take the wheel off and measure the hub where the rotor slides over it. If the hub is machined off center the wheel will be moving up and down in relation to the ground which can cause a vibration. You put a dial indicator on the hub and turn the axle 360 degrees and read how much it moves.

Have the shop where Strange sends you double check the TIR for you. They have the indicator and its very easy to check if they know to check it.

Good Luck.

Dee Jay
Old 02-28-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Strange 9" center section. They are true bastard scum bags to deal with. My rear, immediately after installation,was so loud that at highway speeds the whining was unbearable. As was stated above they will have you take it to a local dealer, which I did. The dealer agreed that I had a legitimate complaint. Strange said tough ****. After a certified letter to Henry Strange the president of Strange and threatening to take them to the Consumer Products Safety Comission they finally relented and rebuilt the unit. The rebuild was major fk'd up, the moron that rebuilt it over tightened one of the carrier bearings. I had it rebuilt locally at my own expense. The aggravation and months of down time these ****** caused me is unforgivable. I am 60 years old and in all my car modding, 40 + years, I have never dealt with bigger mfking ********. I wish you luck.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:09 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I am 60 years old and in all my car modding, 40 + years, I have never dealt with bigger mfking ********. I wish you luck.
OMG maybe i should get back into the differential business. Thats brutal!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

So Far Has Agreed To Get The Rear Rebuilt At A Mutually Agreed Upon Shop.. If This Happens I Will Be Happy (i Think)

Ill Update This In 2 Weeks After The Rebuild Is Done
Old 03-01-2007, 06:37 AM
10 Second Club

Sounds good .. was it Strange that stepped up?

Still, not what I'd expect from a $2K+ performance product (not including attaching parts). I'll allow for "no one's perfect" .. but Strange has been in this business long enough, you would think they would have QUALITY measures in place to prevent this type of thing.

Let us know what, exactly, was wrong with it ... maybe something for the rest of us who got in on the GP to check, since all of ours were built, at or about the same time.

Quick Reply: Broken New Strange Dana 60 Help (asap)