Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

62 nova swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 62 nova swap?

I've searching and reading for several weeks now, about all that's involved with a LQx swap in a 62 nova. Searching and reading, some till morning. Hope y'all don't mind a couple of, probably redundant, questions.

Has anyone here completed a swap in a 1st Gen Nova?

Would it be easier to modify the trans tunnel and use the 4l60e, than mate it up to a 700r4? If you mod'd the tunnel, what did you do?

I was planning on using the stock clip with a TCI mini-sub kit, rather than go with a full clip. Both swap and clip aren't in the budget. Can it be done and what are the issues using the stock clip?

I really like swaps y'all are doing and would love to go that route. If not, then I'll have to go the SBC and OD trans route.

It is going to be a grocery gettin' hotrod for the wife. So, it's going to be a daily driver and I can't have it down for more than a couple weeks. Only if we all had unlimited $ and time.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

I can't imagine you being able to do this type of swap in a couple weeks ... but the major issues with the early novas is going to be the shock towers, headers and oil pan. I do know that you can have a custom oil pan made for around $550. And custom headers will also have to be worked.

It would be a much more straightforward swap if you have the the later nova / camaro style front suspension.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 62ls1
It would be a much more straightforward swap if you have the the later nova / camaro style front suspension.

So, using the TCI or Heidt's clip seems to be the way to go to reduce some of the issues.

Thanks, I figured this but thought I'd ask. I am thinking an LQx swap into a stock clip may be more $ than just buying a clip.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old posts I read suggested you could drop the LS engines in using the stock clip. You would need a new GTO oil pan and headers, which supposedly are available. If your having trouble with alignment issues now, which I believe is common on the novas, there are MINI clip kits, save a bunch of cash for sure.

Its also my understanding that to install an older tranny, in your case 700r4, all that is required is a piece that mounts to the LS crank, think it was called hub conversion 30-40 dollar part from summit/jegs. If you plan on keeping it efi, then youd obviously have to get creative with the tranny line pressure/kickdown cable. From my perspective it might be easier to keep the 4LXE tranny, if you wanna keep it efi, that depends on your fab skills I suppose. Im not sure what is required to modify the crossmember and driveshaft.

Look for old posts by a person that goes by the username "Lane" , also use the search terms "stock clip", it should come right up.

Last edited by inline300; 02-27-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

One more thing, you say LQx and it is my understanding that the LQx is an iron block. By all means, you do not want the extra weight of an iron block on a light car like yours. Go LSx aluminum(no, I don't mean the LSX iron block). For a larger car I would have no qualms of using the iron block. JB
Old 02-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Teching In

I was looking at LS1s, then came across an article in CarCraft about the LQx. They did a carb conversion on a 6.0 and stated that the iron block was only 65lbs. heavier.

How much heavier would a 5.3l or 6.0l be over a SBC?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:37 AM
Teching In

I wouldnt worry about it man, 65lbs difference and people are dropping Big block's in nova's without too much complaint.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree the weight between the LQs and LSs should not be a significant problem. I believe the 4L60E and the 700R4 are pretty similar dimensionally. Since you mention this is a dailey driver I suggest going with the 4L60E, then you will not have to figure out the throttle to trans linkage issue which is pretty critical onthe 700R4. There are several 1st Gen Nova swaps here on the forum. Try a search on Nova, I remember a 63, 65, 66 and 67 at least, Good luck and keep us posted.

Pat
Old 02-28-2007, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Thanks everyone,

I've looked for every Gen 1 nova/Gen 111 swap thread. Good stuff. It just seems that a front clip aids in the fit. I was hoping to do the swap now and front clip it later. Street & Performance(hotrodlane) also has a good article on the swap.

Stu Cool, that is a sweet Starliner. My dad is huge Stude nut, so I grew up appreciating them. Hope to rod a Stude truck some day and all this LSx info makes me think, hmmm.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah man not too much weight difference - and that LQ in Car Craft had good results!

Here's a pic of my LS1 stude project ...
Attached Thumbnails 62 nova swap?-studebaker_002.jpg  
Old 02-28-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I put an LS1 from a Camaro and a Muncie 4 speed in my '62 Chevy II. I have a TCI front clip and can not imagine trying the swap with a stock front end. There are issues either way but.... When it comes to exhaust it is very difficult with an aftermarket clip much less the stock front. Good luck which ever way you go.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone,

I wouldn't be so full of ?s if it where a bigger vehicle with a little more room for the swap.

Nova Forever:
I found some of your threads and kdawgmfic and am very interested in your progress and some of the hurdles you had. I would like to see how someone has modified the trans hump for the 4l60e, that has one. I am considering the TCI, but I've read that the Heidt's has more room.

I was originally planning on a CPP mini kit and a crate SBC/700r4, but it seems that the savings from a used 5.3l/trans could be used for a clip. My fuzzy math skills come out close for either.

62ls1:

Nice project! Now don't get me all jazzed up about a Stud project, I can't afford the 2 I have now. 72 Jeepster Commando--may have to let it go.

Last edited by v1rot8; 02-28-2007 at 03:08 PM. Reason: fuzzy grammar too.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am not as far along as I would like to be but this is what I have found:
> I might go with the Heidt's clip for the extra clearance for the headers
> headers or manifolds are a big issue. No stocks manofolds will fit and I am not spending a couple of grand for customs. I think I am going to try using small block Ford's with LSx flanges, shorties of course. I would like long tubes but the cost is more than I can stand
> the engine set right in without a problem with a stock F-body pan and looks like it belongs there
> since I had to have the floor pans replaced and the huge hole where Jethro had his shifter was repaired, I was not going to cut the tunnel out for the 6 speed or 4L60. Now in hindsight I think I probably would have just for the freedom it would allow.
I can barely wait to drive the old car but it has a ways to go.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Novas Forever:

I have seen pics of your progress on threads I have searched, looks great.
On header issues, I have been thinking the same thing on front clip.

I read a post on steve'snovasite that 65V8wagon has a LT1 with headers. Would these work on a LQx motor?

I think I'm just going to have to modify the tunnel. How many inches approx. do y'all think it needs raised?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

The LT1 headers don't have the right port spacing, but small block Ford and big block Chevys are very close. I am not sure how much bigger the tunnel has to be. A big bellhousing will fit because the Lakewood scattershield did on mine. The 4L60 and T56 is longer and taller. The clutch fork has to be at the 5 o'clock position on a stcok Nova so it gets tight pretty fast. I would thing a few inched taller and maybe 8 inches longer might work. I am a Steve's regular too as kcmocarguy, see ya over there too.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Glad to see another Chevy II getting this swap. I have not had as much time lately as I would have liked to get on here but considering the situation I am in I can't complain. I seen you have factored in the savings of a 5.3/4L60E pullout. Remember that either running a carb and the MSD ignition controller or a PCM and harness are goin to eat up most of that savings. Don't get me wrong I am all for this swap just bringing something up that I didnt exactly figure in when I chose to go this route. I love my TCI clip but would go with a Heidt's unit for the extra room for headers. I know that a few have got Camaro manifolds to work with the Heidt's. Wouldnt we all like to have an extra inch or two of . . . clearance. I have not cut the tranny tunnel yet but I plan on it. I just have the tail of the tranny held up by the 700R4 crossmember that I got a while back. When I'm done with my deployment I should have enough for a Heidt's 4link rig. The 5.3 is gonna be lighter than the iron headed small block that woulda come original so no reason to worry bout that. How critical is the 2 week window you have to work with? It could be done but the midnight oil will burn and burn and burn some more. A heidt's clip would be the biggest time saver. The stock camaro oil pan will fit perfect with it using S&P style adapters. Other adapter that that dont set the engine back may work but I'm not sure. Your also gonna have to have your driveshaft shortened. I am probly gonna get a set of Ford small block headers and modify them, I'm just hoping someone does it before me so I'll know which ones to start from, if not I may just weld up a set of longtubes myself. I have also thought about having a set of stock Camaro or Vette manifold modified by milling the flange at an angle to tuck them a little closer to the block but I'm not sure if it will work or not just an idea I had. As far as fuel delivery, for a carbed setup I would just install a low pressure inline pump and regulator for FI you could use an inline pump and maybe some of that fuel tank foam so you dont have to go inside the tank and baffell it. I dont know if you could compress the stuff enough to get it through the stock sending unit location or not. Another option is a kit from TanksInc. That is what I did and it was very simple. I reckon I nave rambled on enough. Sorry for the long a$$ post but there are so many details. Good luck and I will help with all that I can.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

its been done. lets see another
Old 03-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kdawgmfic
I seen you have factored in the savings of a 5.3/4L60E pullout. Remember that either running a carb and the MSD ignition controller or a PCM and harness are goin to eat up most of that savings.

I have not cut the tranny tunnel yet but I plan on it. I just have the tail of the tranny held up by the 700R4 crossmember that I got a while back.

How critical is the 2 week window you have to work with? It could be done but the midnight oil will burn and burn and burn some more.

A heidt's clip would be the biggest time saver. The stock camaro oil pan will fit perfect with it using S&P style adapters. Other adapter that that dont set the engine back may work but I'm not sure.

Thanks kdawgmfic,

When I mention savings, I just meant that this swap would be close to cost of a new crate SBC/trans. However, the drivability with potential for hp is leaning me this direction.

Is it best to send off the ecm and harness to be reworked or would something aftermarket be better? S&P or painless harness?

Will your 700r4 crossmember work for the 460le? Is there one specifically made for the 460le?

It is not specifically 2 weeks, a little longer would be fine. As this will be a dd, I can't take 6 months to do a swap.

As far as adapters, I've been looking thru S&P's catalog and info for a couple of weeks. They have a great section with this style conversion with pics in a 63 nova.

Well, the big news is: the shippers deliver the wagon on Thur. or Fri.
Then, I'll see what I have to work with.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:05 AM
Teching In

The harness I'm not sure. I havent even started my harness yet. I have quite a bit of knowledge with wiring and dont think it will take me that long. I would imagine you could knock yours out pretty easy. I have tons of diagrams and schematics I have copied from this site that I can email you and you see if you could do it. Sure is cost worthy to do them yourself. The adapter I got where the S&P "style" and they worked great. I'm not positive on the crossmember either. It was around midnight when I got the engine/tranny in, I shoved everything up stuck in the bolts, crawled in the house and went to bed. I didnt get a chance to get back under there, I just put on all the shiny stuff up front. I'm pretty sure it would work with maybe just a lil modding. I got the S&P '63 Nova swap and it is pretty helpful. I am only goin to run a single feed line with a vette filter, unlike there feed and return from the rails. Depending on what LSX you get you can run either. An '04 and earlier truck engine will have a regulator with the fuel rails and obviously a return line. Newer truck engines will not, nor will the car engines besides the 97-98 Vettes. And here I am again just ramblin.

let me know how things are goin for ya, I love the old wagons.
later,
Kenneth
Old 03-06-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 62ls1

Here's a pic of my LS1 stude project ...
Wow, talk about a sleeper, that is sweet! Do you have more pictures or a journal somewhere where we could see more?

Pat

Quick Reply: 62 nova swap?