General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help with installing water pump!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with installing water pump!!!

My car just started leaking coolant and found out the water pump needs replacing. I could really use some pointers on how to change the water pump and how to flush the coolant. All help is appreciated especially things to watch out for while changing this.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

I just did this last week. If you go to www.ls1howto.com you'll find good directions. It's pretty easy however. The one item to take your time on is installing the 6 water pump bolts. Finger tighten as much as you can (wiggle pump to make it easier) - you don't want to crossthread these suckers as they go into the block.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

Just did mine last week. ***NOTE*** - cover the alternator with plastic or something. When you remove the two heater hoses from the water pump, even though you have drained the radiator, gallons of coolant will come pouring out, right on top of your alternator. It didn't seem to hurt mine, but, boy I wish someone would have told me about that. I went to the ls1howto.com and followed their instructions for the elec water pump install. A 10mm ratchet wrench really helps on the one bolt blocked by the pulley.

Seeing you have to take the throttle body off, might as well send it off and get it ported and polished. There are two sponsors running sales right now. It makes a noticable difference.

Hope this helps some.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Did you ever consider going with an electric water pump better coolant flow at idle and free's up some power. Meziere makes some of the best around here is the site if your interested.

Meziere Electric Water Pumps
Old 03-01-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for all the help guys, ill try and do it this weekend
Old 03-01-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did mine a week ago and it was pretty easy and i'm no mechanic. I had a friend help me out because an extra set of hands is always helpful when installing parts. I just read over the ls1howto.com waterpump install the night before.

Tons of coolant leaks from the hoses just to warn you. I didnt cover my alternator either.

BTW.....nice ride
Old 03-02-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did mine last weekend.

Only tough part was the fact that is was like super glued to the block and I had to use a fat pry bar and BFH to get it off.

Also a set of three sizes of channel locks made it easy to get to the hose spring clamps.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

sorry to bring this back up but where did you get your pumps from? i think im gonna get the pump and thermostat from autozone.

mines got 96k and just started out the weaphole
Old 06-27-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did mine last week.....MAKE SURE YOU PURGE THE SYSTEM FREE OF AIR. If you do have too much air in the system the heater will not blow hot and the car will over heat really fast with ac on high. I also use the green stuff (Prestone), after seeing all of the sludge that the dexcool had left behind I switched. They say the green stuff harms aluminum but on the back of the container it stated "Safe for aluminum".
Pretty easy install...just get in there and do it.
1.5-2 hrs with **** break and lost tools

Also got pump from O'Riley's for $153 new with life time warranty.
Advance Auto parts would have price matched Autozone's $133 but I couldnt wait, I need my car the next day

And about the alternator....it practically bathes every time you drive in the rain.

Last edited by ws6nick; 06-27-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got mine from Napa and it comes with a lifetime warranty. They were able to get me the proper waterpump the next morning after Kragen had given me a completely different waterpump.