Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

*sigh* not again

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default *sigh* not again *Updated*

So... I'm doin good workin at CompUSA in Business Sales when they really start pushing sales. Well I was 2k behind everyone else (with being out sick 4 days this month with some nasty **** so it really wasn't that bad). But I got laid off Monday. Well yesterday they announce that CompUSA is closing 160 some odd stores, which includes the Lynnwood, Mountlake Terrace, Kirkland, Bellevue, and Tukwila stores.... The only store left staying open in Washington is Spokane!! So... I've heard liquidations will be happening which will be nice.

Good news is I've already had a couple bites for jobs. Had an interview today with Volt for a contract at Bungie game testing, and Amanda and I both had a position brought up with Microsoft doing escalation support so we'll be interviewing for that (which pays better so I'm hopin for that one). Hopefully this means my luck is kinda turning though. If I'd called ASAP I'd probably already be working at Car Nutz in bellevue because they just hired a guy yesterday.

Last edited by HitmanLSX; 03-09-2007 at 04:15 PM. Reason: update
Old 03-01-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, don't take this the wrong way but get your young *** in school and learn a trade or get a degree. Otherwise this same **** will be happening to you in 20yrs. Don't be a broken recorded over that time span. Your resume sucks to potential employers because you have not stayed anywhere. Therefore you will always be groveling for a job. Your still young, so get with it. To think I did it with a kid years ago. You don't have that kind of responsibility yet. Wait till you do.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:41 PM
12 Second Club

Well as soon as I get income coming back in I'm going to be taking night classes on how to actually make money with photography and Amanda and I are going to try and start doing wedding photography as a business. I'm also going to try and get at least a general degree. I feel like I don't know that much anymore when I used to know quite a bit. Especially in IT I feel so behind now.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

That Stinks
Old 03-03-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Veteran

I musta missed the "I got a new job at CompUSA" thread.....
Old 03-03-2007, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

yeah i started working there in november after i got laid off by toyota
Old 03-09-2007, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

Well just to update everyone Amanda and I both heard back today with a job offer from Microsoft doing game testing for their "Recon" team. Basically entry level testing. But we'll be working at their Millennium Campus starting the 19th. We're working there next week M-W-F on a short 4-day contract testing a game, which so far has been a blast and definately one I'm going to buy when it's released.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

List was released for the cars in Forza 2...

Tell them to add a damn Firebird to that collection! They got a 02 SS and a 02 SS 35th on the list. One more F-body couldn't hurt!

How is the game testing? I have always hear there was more paperwork involved than actualy playing.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by HitmanLSX
Well just to update everyone Amanda and I both heard back today with a job offer from Microsoft doing game testing for their "Recon" team. Basically entry level testing. But we'll be working at their Millennium Campus starting the 19th. We're working there next week M-W-F on a short 4-day contract testing a game, which so far has been a blast and definately one I'm going to buy when it's released.
I am cornfused........M-W-F but 4 days?

And did I actually read that right? You got a 4 DAY contract? Any news on something long term for you and/or her? No offense, but as fun as testing might be, it doesn't sound like that will pay the bills.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

The contract we're finishing up next week M-W-F is only 4 days (we worked yesterday too) testing a fun new FPS not sure if we can say what it is although screen shots and trailers and everything are released for it (no it's not Halo 3). But it's a lot of fun I can tell ya that much. The contract we just got offered is until at least the end of may but could go through christmas.

The game testing we're doing right now is pretty fun but I'm not sure how the recon testing will be.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Check out This web site https://jobs.boeing.com/index.jsp They are hiring alot of people right now.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

The contract we're finishing up next week M-W-F is only 4 days (we worked yesterday too) testing a fun new FPS not sure if we can say what it is although screen shots and trailers and everything are released for it (no it's not Halo 3). But it's a lot of fun I can tell ya that much. The contract we just got offered is until at least the end of may but could go through christmas.

The game testing we're doing right now is pretty fun but I'm not sure how the recon testing will be.
Ok....I think......and I am sure it is fun, but what kind of future does it give you? Benefits? Lotta folks here have tried to tell you, myself included, you need to get into something that will either give you skills (some sort of training) or get trained to do something that you can do for a living. None of us are getting any younger and before you know it, Christmas will be here and gone and then what?

Not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to help you keep from making mistakes we have all seen our friends make......

Last edited by Rottluver; 03-09-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

Volt offers full benefits after so many hours. I'd really like to get a job in the department my friend is in which is Licensing Support and pays $20/hr. But that contract I can worry about later. And at least when I worked for MS years ago there was the option if they were really impressed with you to eventually bring you on as an MS Full time employee. And there's always going to be something to test at MS be it games or application usability. Plus I have access to the MS Library which I can check out books and study up on other stuff such as MCSE certs and so on.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

MS certs are largely a joke, at least for entry level stuff. I guess it might look nice on a resume, so go for it, but they don't really give you too much real life useful knowledge, at least the first few that are general certs and not specific products. If this MS stuff doesn't work out, I would try applying some place where people are people, like not a chain where there is always upper management that doesn't care about you. Local is good. GL.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

My $0.02... I have a doctorate in computer science but it took Big Bobs bergers, Avis car detailing, Fred Meyer shelf stocking, Safeway inventory, AllForOne security, so many dishwashing jobs, and on and on...

It's worth it, believe me.

I am comfy now because I put up so much, good luck
Old 03-09-2007, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Poik
MS certs are largely a joke, at least for entry level stuff. I guess it might look nice on a resume, so go for it, but they don't really give you too much real life useful knowledge, at least the first few that are general certs and not specific products. If this MS stuff doesn't work out, I would try applying some place where people are people, like not a chain where there is always upper management that doesn't care about you. Local is good. GL.
Oh I know they are just resume boosters. I got my A+ just walking into the testing center hoppin on a machine and taking the test without looking at any test prep books or anything before hand. I had already learned the stuff from real world experience. Granted now I'm out of date because i had not kept up with the latest stuff so I could use a brush up.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Veteran

You gotta start somewhere... and testing isn't a bad place to start in the industry.

I started at Nintendo 10 years ago as a temporary game play counselor... got hired on after a year of doing temp work for them, moved up from game play counseling to consumer service tech support, then up to consumer accounts administrator... and now I'm a merchandising manager for Microsoft's merchandising team. It's tough, tedious, and can take a while to get somewhere... but you're young, you just have to keep plugging away.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:29 AM
12 Second Club

You're in Mil B right? We'll have a few people from here workin on that campus lol. Tyler comes back in april I think.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:04 AM
TECH Veteran

You're in Mil B right? We'll have a few people from here workin on that campus lol. Tyler comes back in april I think.
Yep, I sure am... Mil B/1500G is officially my work location.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

If $20/hr is your goal its going to take you a while to get there with the path you are taking. By Christmas you could have a summer and fall semesters under your belt that will lead you to a $40/hr job or better. Get in school now! You will thank yourself later when you buy a house, get married, have kids. You get the picture. Plus contracting does not pay big bonuses too. There's nothing like getting a $15k plus year end bonus on top of real benefits and a big salary. But to get there you have to go through **** and school to do it.

Quick Reply: *sigh* not again