Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hydraulic Clutch Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic Clutch Problem?

I have an M6 2000 TA. When disengaging the clutch, with about 2 inches left to disengage, the peddle sticks and then clicks back to full disengagement. The clutch still works and I can change the gears without any problems. It's just annoying to have the peddle click into place after disengaging it fully. The peddle sticks after the gear engages. Is this a simple repair or does it sound like the hydraulic lift (from the peddle) is going out and needs to be replaced? I have 145000 miles on the car. Thanks for your help in advanced! Sorry if this is a stupid question but the peddle is quite annoying!
Old 03-02-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

my car is having slightly the same problems, but i've put the stock clutch through 480rwhp for a long time and it finally started to show after cam. not sure if the hp took it out or just sheer beating......

when i go full throttle the clutch pedal actually comes out further than where it was and after i get off and try to shift, it tries to grind going in on next gear depending on how much WOT i let the car get
Old 03-02-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds to me like the wonderful pre-2001 slave cylinder problem.

Find an 01 model and bleed out the system good and it should be better.

My car has the same problem...just got to find time to fix it.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

I did have the slave cylinder problem a couple years ago but it was replaced with a 2003 Slave Cylinder. That's why I was thinking that perhaps the hydraulic lift part of the peddle was or is wearing out on it. However, I don't know if that is possible. I'm assuming that since it is a moving part that it too can wear out.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Most likely the slave. I'd say do the drill mod on the master, replace the slave, and if need be, replace the clutch because you'll need to pull the trans to get to the slave.

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 03-02-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

Well the tranny needs to be replaced or at least repaired, so when I take out the transmission I will look at the slave cylinder too. Thanks
Old 03-02-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't mean to hijack here. But you guys reference the new slaves. I just put a slave in my car and just told them my year. I bought a delco slave cylinder. There is no way I got an older design right? When they improve them they phase out the old part number and reference the new one? Obviously it could sit on the shelf and I got an old one but I bought it from a real big parts house that mainly sells wholesale to the dealer and mechanics in town. Bumper to Bumper Auto. Don't think they have anything sitting that long there.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The slave cylinders are the same it is the clutch master cylinders that are different. The 01-02 have upgraded hydraulics compared to 98-00.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Default Clutch peddle problem

I too am having a clutch peddle problem with my 2001 WS6 T/A... Essentially, the peddle sticks to the floor when disengaging it in first gear and I have to put my foot under the peddle to pull it back up... The peddle also sticks in second gear or any other gear at times as well... The brake fluid resevoir is black...even after bleeding and changing out the fluid it becomes black within a few days... I have ideas but am unsure of what this problem may be and do not want to nickle and dime things just to find what the problem is... The car has 70,000 miles on it and the original stock clutch... Also, I do not race this car as it is a daily driver... Anyone have a idea of what this problem is???

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Clutch Problem?