Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

P1SC Vs D1SC

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1SC Vs D1SC

I know this has been debated before but I'm looking for a clear and decisive answer. What, if any, advantage would there be to running a D1SC over the P1SC if you were only using it for a street car @ 10 psi (stock bottom end for now)? I know the D1 would be capable of more HP when pushed but would it be worth anything over the P1 at this level? I understand that the D1 would be more efficient than the P1 and create a lower IAT, but what is this actually worth on a street car at this level? Does the D1 actually start to produce boost sooner even with the same step ratio?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only advantage that I know of is that you will probably have less belt slip because you won't have to push it as hard... As far as coming into boost early, I believe that the P1SC actually shows boost a little earlier but I'm not exactly certain...I have the D1SC and it's perfect for me..
Old 03-04-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got the D1. The price wasn't that big of a difference and I knew Id up the boost later. Later is almost here...
Old 03-04-2007, 06:45 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had two LS1/P1 systems and both worked fine. Thing with blowers is you CAN go too big. The LS1 P1SC is a decent blower, but it needs to be spun higher then the D1 so belt slip may be an issue if you try to push it. If you are going to stick with a stock engine and headers and thats about it the P1 will do just fine. But if you plan on making more power down the road and are buying new its silly not to get a D1 and spin it slower, I wouldt turm down a good deal on a used P1SC kit if you were just looking for a fun street car though.

Only thing you have to watch is pulley sizes and if you can spin it slow enough to do what you want to do with it. I'm kind of stuck with my pulley combo and cant turn this shiney new F1A any slower. Unfortunately 20psi is just too much for my engine combo so you CAN go too big..
Old 03-04-2007, 08:07 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by kp
I'm kind of stuck with my pulley combo and cant turn this shiney new F1A any slower. Unfortunately 20psi is just too much for my engine combo so you CAN go too big..
KP, what pulley do you have, a 4.75" or a 5.00"? Bob
Old 03-04-2007, 08:15 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I have a 7.25/4" and that puts me at 68K with the F1, 6K under max.

Ubfortunately the way the SDCE is made thats the largest blower pulley I can run. I could have a smaller custom crank pulley made I guess but dropping down to a 6.8" pulley may not work with the way the belts are arranged.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:52 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

The P-1SC should bring in the boost a little sooner, but I can't tell a difference. If purchasing new, I'd go with the D-1SC unless you live in California and need the 50 state certification. Keep in mind the D-1SC 1GJ204-SCI system automatically comes with the thicker 4.5" intercoolers. The P-1SC comes with the thinner 3.5" intercoolers, but the thicker 4.5" intercoolers are an option. The P-1SC kit can also be optioned into using the D-1SC head unit, and could still come with the thinner intercoolers and also with the narrower 6 rib belt. I have had calls from potential customers shopping for the best price, and they were given a great price on a D-1SC that was lower than the actual cost of it of the 1GJ204-SCI, and I have had these guys find out whether or not these were six rib, or eight rib kits, and of course they were the six rib with the smaller intercoolers. You just have to be careful... Bob
Old 03-04-2007, 09:02 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by kp
I have a 7.25/4" and that puts me at 68K with the F1, 6K under max.

Ubfortunately the way the SDCE is made thats the largest blower pulley I can run. I could have a smaller custom crank pulley made I guess but dropping down to a 6.8" pulley may not work with the way the belts are arranged.
Hmm, I wonder if a larger cam with a little overlap might help you out to get rid of some boost. Hard to say, in the end it may slow you down though. Bob
Old 03-04-2007, 10:07 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Hmm, I wonder if a larger cam with a little overlap might help you out to get rid of some boost. Hard to say, in the end it may slow you down though. Bob
Bleeding off boost is kind of self defeating since I have to drive a bigger blower and it may indeed slow down a little but a bigger cam will open up the top end a little so who knows. Not a big deal since the old D1 is working out just fine. Matter of fact I'm slowing the car down to do some racing this year anyhow, quest for 8s will have to continue in the fall
Old 03-04-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kp
I have had two LS1/P1 systems and both worked fine. Thing with blowers is you CAN go too big. The LS1 P1SC is a decent blower, but it needs to be spun higher then the D1 so belt slip may be an issue if you try to push it. If you are going to stick with a stock engine and headers and thats about it the P1 will do just fine. But if you plan on making more power down the road and are buying new its silly not to get a D1 and spin it slower, I wouldt turm down a good deal on a used P1SC kit if you were just looking for a fun street car though.

Only thing you have to watch is pulley sizes and if you can spin it slow enough to do what you want to do with it. I'm kind of stuck with my pulley combo and cant turn this shiney new F1A any slower. Unfortunately 20psi is just too much for my engine combo so you CAN go too big..
Thank you for your input. Very good info on this subject. This is what I was looking for.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bob, without quoting (sp) your whole post, thanks for the input. This is going to be a custom install and I could use all the help I can get. I will be in the market for a C5 Prochager bracket soon, and I know you are the man to contact. Of all the different brackets available, which would you recomend? MMS, ECS, ATI, A&A. There are so many I want to make sure and get the best and not have any trouble in the future.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious, are you going to try a corvette bracket set up on a F body?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Curious, are you going to try a corvette bracket set up on a F body?
Yes sir. That's exactly what I'm going to do.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:48 AM
10 Second Club

why??? is there a some to gain from it it?? (im a newbe)
Old 03-05-2007, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bird-Of-Prey
Yes sir. That's exactly what I'm going to do.
I was reading up on that and somewhere i read that you have to use the entire c5 pully setup or something due to the pully alignment with the c5 Bracket...or something to that effect. im sure someone will elaborate on this...
Old 03-05-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TNTramair
I was reading up on that and somewhere i read that you have to use the entire c5 pully setup or something due to the pully alignment with the c5 Bracket...or something to that effect. im sure someone will elaborate on this...
1 inch spacers. and he should be set.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ping King
gotcha....
Old 03-05-2007, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ping King

Still Why would you use the C5 setup. They use 1 belt to drive all the accesories and the blower. If it breaks you are screwed. Also you can't go to an 8 rib setup. I know I would much rather use the f body set up than the C5 set up.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
Still Why would you use the C5 setup. They use 1 belt to drive all the accesories and the blower. If it breaks you are screwed. Also you can't go to an 8 rib setup. I know I would much rather use the f body set up than the C5 set up.
Why? Because:

1- It's personal taste. That's where I want the blower to be.
2- Because alot of people are saying it can't be done. It can!

The new style Procharger C5 bracket along with some others have about 70% belt wrap. Which is more than what it is on the F-body. Haven't heard of anyone having issues on their C5's. Why would it be any different for me?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Well I have a buddy of mine that has a procharged z06 and he has a hell of a time getting the belt right enough to not slip running 9-10# and twice now he had to get the car towed because he blew the belt off the car. Just what I have heard. Plus I think the SDCE 8-rib set up is the way to go on the f-bodies

Quick Reply: P1SC Vs D1SC