Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ford 9" or what?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ford 9" or what?!

Questions...

- once a month dragstrip @ 5-10 pases per month and

-every 3 months or so track racing

-and all other times it is a daily driver, both highway and street.

-has about 360 - 370 @ the crank with boltons right now.. Will be seeing 400WHP in 3 months and 500+ WHP in a year.

-has all suspension upgrades excluding a new torque arm.

-Also its a T-56 car

1) what gears are available besides 3.55s, 3.90s , 4.10s and 4.56s? and what would be best for my application?

2) what is the difference between torsen, truetrac, spool, detroit locker, etc... and what would be best for my appliation?

3) what torque arm will work best with this setup?

4) who has the best deals?

I will beneeding a new Driveshaft, preferrably lightweight. a new rearend assembly, Most likely a Ford 9" and a new torque arm.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:22 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145
This is the one I recommend. Bob
Old 03-14-2007, 06:14 AM
11 Second Club

Talk to Scott at www.driveline-solutions.com (sponsor). $2175 shipped for a 9"/TrueTrac without TCS. For another $200, you get an aluminum center section and pinion support. That's the route I went. Also bought a 3" steel driveshaft from him for another $315 shipped and had a drain plug tapped in the center section for $30.

Some assembly required, but he actually builds the center section there vs. getting one sent from Moser, sometimes right, sometimes not. He knows his stuff and is a great guy to talk to on the phone.

Ordered Thursday, had my driveshaft yesterday, and everything else should have shipped yesterday if all is on schedule. So far I'm incredibly happy and I haven't even gotten a chance to drive with it yet
Old 03-15-2007, 01:43 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks, but I would like more input please.

I need the questions answered.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:52 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

1) what gears are available besides 3.55s, 3.90s , 4.10s and 4.56s? and what would be best for my application?
3.25, 3.50, 3.70, 3.89, 4.11, 4.30, 4.56, 4.71, 4.86, 5.00 and more
I would go with 4.11's

2) what is the difference between torsen, truetrac, spool, detroit locker, etc... and what would be best for my appliation?

DETROIT TRUETRAC TORQUE PROPORTIONING DIFFERENTIAL
The Detroit Truetrac is the first gear type limited slip differential in the industry. Its’ patented design of parallel axis planetary helical gears provide a quiet, automatic splitting of torque. Power transfer goes literally unnoticed by the driver – even in front wheel drive axles.

The Detroit Truetrac performs like an open differential under normal driving conditions and automatically transfers torque to the wheel with better traction when ground conditions warrant. The limited slip responds instantly to torque feedback, anytime, at any speed.

TRAC-LOC LIMITED SLIP
The Trac-Loc Limited Slip Differential is designed as a direct replacement for the hard to find expensive OEM unit, or for those enthusiasts desiring to convert to a limited slip. Available for 9” Ford rear ends, this nodular steel casting is totally rebuildable, includes nickel steel side gears and pinion gears, and multiple plate 360-degree steel clutches. This extremely tough and durable differential houses 400-ft/lb static springs, and is capable of 150 lb. braking torque. Available in 28 or 31 spline. Made in the U.S.A.

DETROIT LOCKERS
Moser Engineering carries a full line of Detroit Lockers to fit most popular rear ends used on the street, off-road, or on the racetrack. Detroit Lockers are fully automatic locking traction differentials, manufactured by Tractech, a well-known manufacturer of heavy-duty traction differentials for OEM and replacement applications. A Detroit Locker maximizes the available traction by delivering 100% of the torque and power to both drive wheels. It is engineered to keep both wheels in a constant drive mode, yet has the ability to unlock to permit the wheel to turn at different speeds if necessary.

EATON POSI UNIT
The fully rebuildable design features exclusive, road-proven Eaton technologies, like race-breed carbon friction discs, precision-forged gears and torque sensitive operation. Gear strength is crucial to high-performance racing and off-road applications. Eaton engineers turned to state-of-the-art computer design tools to develop robust gears that can stand up to a lifetime of punishment. Eaton precision-forged gears are designed to mesh perfectly providing improved strength and durability over the standard cut gears.

AUBURN LIMITED SLIP
If you are looking for a stronger replacement for your standard differential, the Auburn Hi-Performance Series is the answer. Available for most popular rears. Auburn Limited Slip differentials provide more torque to the high traction wheel, even when the loose wheel has no traction at all. For those with higher horsepower and performance applications, we recommend the Auburn Pro Series Differential. The Auburn Pro Series Differential delivers more torque and faster engagement for controlled power transfer and quicker reaction to changing load conditions.

The truetrac is what I recommend.

The BMR Trak Pak is what I would use.

I do...

I will beneeding a new Driveshaft, preferrably lightweight. a new rearend assembly, Most likely a Ford 9" and a new torque arm.The PST driveshaft that I sell is the one I recommend. Bob
Old 03-15-2007, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
3.25, 3.50, 3.70, 3.89, 4.11, 4.30, 4.56, 4.71, 4.86, 5.00 and more
I would go with 4.11's

DETROIT TRUETRAC TORQUE PROPORTIONING DIFFERENTIAL
The Detroit Truetrac is the first gear type limited slip differential in the industry. Its’ patented design of parallel axis planetary helical gears provide a quiet, automatic splitting of torque. Power transfer goes literally unnoticed by the driver – even in front wheel drive axles.

The Detroit Truetrac performs like an open differential under normal driving conditions and automatically transfers torque to the wheel with better traction when ground conditions warrant. The limited slip responds instantly to torque feedback, anytime, at any speed.

TRAC-LOC LIMITED SLIP
The Trac-Loc Limited Slip Differential is designed as a direct replacement for the hard to find expensive OEM unit, or for those enthusiasts desiring to convert to a limited slip. Available for 9” Ford rear ends, this nodular steel casting is totally rebuildable, includes nickel steel side gears and pinion gears, and multiple plate 360-degree steel clutches. This extremely tough and durable differential houses 400-ft/lb static springs, and is capable of 150 lb. braking torque. Available in 28 or 31 spline. Made in the U.S.A.

DETROIT LOCKERS
Moser Engineering carries a full line of Detroit Lockers to fit most popular rear ends used on the street, off-road, or on the racetrack. Detroit Lockers are fully automatic locking traction differentials, manufactured by Tractech, a well-known manufacturer of heavy-duty traction differentials for OEM and replacement applications. A Detroit Locker maximizes the available traction by delivering 100% of the torque and power to both drive wheels. It is engineered to keep both wheels in a constant drive mode, yet has the ability to unlock to permit the wheel to turn at different speeds if necessary.

EATON POSI UNIT
The fully rebuildable design features exclusive, road-proven Eaton technologies, like race-breed carbon friction discs, precision-forged gears and torque sensitive operation. Gear strength is crucial to high-performance racing and off-road applications. Eaton engineers turned to state-of-the-art computer design tools to develop robust gears that can stand up to a lifetime of punishment. Eaton precision-forged gears are designed to mesh perfectly providing improved strength and durability over the standard cut gears.

AUBURN LIMITED SLIP
If you are looking for a stronger replacement for your standard differential, the Auburn Hi-Performance Series is the answer. Available for most popular rears. Auburn Limited Slip differentials provide more torque to the high traction wheel, even when the loose wheel has no traction at all. For those with higher horsepower and performance applications, we recommend the Auburn Pro Series Differential. The Auburn Pro Series Differential delivers more torque and faster engagement for controlled power transfer and quicker reaction to changing load conditions.

The truetrac is what I recommend.

The BMR Trak Pak is what I would use.

I do...

I will beneeding a new Driveshaft, preferrably lightweight. a new rearend assembly, Most likely a Ford 9" and a new torque arm.The PST driveshaft that I sell is the one I recommend. Bob
Bob, Thanks a lot for all of your input. But I would also like to hear a few other price quotes and a few other people, before I take the next step and decide when I will buy and from who I will buy. I aprreciate your quick responses, but I need to shop around to assure a great deal as well as the right thing to buy.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go tru trac with bob, good guy to deal with. Answers your questions promptly and returns phone calls when he says he will and the price is within $40 of anyone else I've encountered.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

would a BMR trackpack work on my stock 10 bolt if I were to order it now?

Also what weight savings will I have with the BMR torque arm?

I am focusing on saving wight.

from the rearend to the driveshaft to the torque arm. Nothing ridiculously expensive..

and I would Still want to hgear someone else before I do any more shopping. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

Nice!

http://www.supercars.net/Pics?vpf2=y...ID=3248163&l=g

http://www.supercars.net/Pics?vpf2=y...mID=239859&l=v
Old 03-15-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes it'll work on a 10 bolt, and weight savings? none probably weighs more than the flimsy stock stamped piece, but it is more rigid allowing more power to get to the ground
Old 03-16-2007, 02:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
yes it'll work on a 10 bolt, and weight savings? none probably weighs more than the flimsy stock stamped piece, but it is more rigid allowing more power to get to the ground
No.

There are lightweight torque arm bushings. I dunno if BMR, UMI or spohn made them . Maybe they were chromemoly.

Also I dont want a steel driveshaft. Either the Stronger Aluminum one, Chromemoly or carbon fiber.

I am leaning towards chromemoly... Reasons besing

Carbon fiber = too expensive
Aluminum = although rated at 1200 HP. I dont buy how aluminum will be so much strionger from the stock one.

if you can convince me otherwise from any of these 2, I will consider them more.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:34 AM
11 Second Club

Also what LSD does the 10 bolt have? A Trutrac?

and I like the way an Auburn diff sounds better than truetrac. though Im not sure.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default ta

a torque arm mounted to a tunnel brace will beat on the floor panel.

you will also lose ground clearance.

Last edited by badmfkr; 03-16-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

I love my UMI one. It mounts to the chassis brace area and ties into my 3pt SFCs. It is not lighter than stock, I don't know of an aftermarket TA that is.

Also, the 9" will be adding weight over the stock rear.

I went with a 3" steel driveshaft from DLS. Weighed it at 18.3lbs at work. Weighed my stock aluminum one in at 12.16lbs. Its 6lbs rotational, but I don't feel too bad about it because of how small the diameter is, its not far from the center of rotation, so it shouldn't affect performance noticeably at all. Should be good to 1000+ hp and that should be more than this car will ever see.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
go tru trac with bob, good guy to deal with. Answers your questions promptly and returns phone calls when he says he will and the price is within $40 of anyone else I've encountered.
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Here is what can happen to the stock torque arm. Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...php?service=58
Old 03-17-2007, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

Someone besides bob and his supporters please!

Its not that I dont trust you guys. Its just that I need 2nd opinions!
Old 03-17-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28

2nd opinions of what? the tubular pieces are ALL heavier than the flimsy stock piece. Regardless of chro moly or steel tubing they'll all be heavier, I don't think my stock torque arm weighed 5 pounds total. Next, if you want suggestions we gave them, a 3.5" aluminum driveshaft with 1350 joints is stronger than you'll ever need. If you don't believe the 1200 hp level, then try to break it.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:42 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

You're trying to save weight, yet the parts you mention are some of the beefiest you can buy.

The stock torque arm is stamped steel. None of the strong adjustable torque arms that bolt up to the 9" (which I might add is much heavier than the 10 bolt) are going to be lighter.

You need to do some more research before you pull the trigger. All the questions you've asked have been asked and debated a thousand times. Search up the components you think you are interested in.

Bob at Exotic, or Tom at Tbyrne usually have the best prices. They are on the boards religiously, so you know the customer service is there.

The price matching is up to YOU the consumer.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28

Bob is one of the only ones here that really gets into answering board members questions. You can also look to Scott @ DLS, you can PM him.

If you want other vendor support you should probably click on a few vendors to the right and pick up the phone because thats what its going to take.

FWIW... I bought my 3.5" PST aluminum DS from Bob and I must say.. hes is a great vendor to deal with. I bought my 9" from Scott @ DLS and also had a good experience. Both guys were great to deal with and Id deffinately deal with them again. Take your pick... you cant go wrong with either.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:51 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

The BMR trak pak and the BMR Xtreme torque arms don't hurt ground clearance too much. The Xtreme was used on this car we built. Bob