Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled the head to fix a broken header bolt and was surprised.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:28 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Question Pulled the head to fix a broken header bolt and was surprised.

Well, since the power tour last June, I knew I had an exhaust leak on the #1 cylinder due to a broken header bolt that was stuck in the head. I finally got around to pulling the head to have the bolt hole drilled and tapped and noticed that two other bolt holes had stripped. As you can see, I had exhaust leaks pretty bad in all four cyclinders.

A quick question, take a look at the combustion chambers, everything look good?

Also, take a look at #1 piston, I have an eyebrow that occured when I had weak manley springs on the car that broke after 1000miles. I had the head off then to replace the springs and noticed the eyebrows then, so they haven't gotten any worse which is good.

I'm going to be pulling the passenger head in the next few days, and we'll see how that side looks. One thing I did notice is that I have a lot of carbon buildup in the exhaust ports which has me a little puzzled. The car was tuned well. I get very little knock at all, but may be running a little rich, as I don't have a wideband yet. I'd like to go down to a thinner head gasket, to try and bump up the static compression and decrease the quench thickness, but I'm thinking I should cut valve releifs to make sure it doesn't have valve to piston issues.
Attached Thumbnails Pulled the head to fix a broken header bolt and was surprised.-exhaust-ports.jpg   Pulled the head to fix a broken header bolt and was surprised.-cylinder-head.jpg   Pulled the head to fix a broken header bolt and was surprised.-cylinder-1.jpg  
Old 03-13-2007, 09:42 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Moving to Internal. Looks like you might have had some valve float with the Manleys...sucks man. I know the feeling though. I have eyelashed several pistons in the past.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

That's running pretty rich there. How's your intake look? Is there a lot of oil getting in there from the PCV? That could easily cause that buildup on the pistons. How do the plugs look?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:53 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, I do have a catchcan on the pcv system and it's pretty effective. There was very little oil in the manifold and the intake ports actually look pretty clean.

I was wondering if the exhaust leak had something to do with how dirty the exhaust ports were.

Fact is, I might just be looking for a problem that doesn't exist. The car ran well, mileage was between 16-17 mpg around town with a pretty heavy foot, and I know that I'm running rich, only because I was to be safe since I don't have a widband and don't want to go unsafely lean.

Once I get it back together, I'll start to lean out the tune gradually and monitor knock.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much are the heads milled? Do you have a thin gasket? If you don't have a borderline setup (aftermarket valves, heavy mill...), then the valve float could be causing the eyelashes.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:18 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, it was the stock gm, non mls gasket. I'm not sure how much the heads were milled, but I think it was roughly 0.020", but I will measure to be sure. I definitely think that the eyebrows were from the old manley springs that were on it before. I knew I had valve float issues, and probably kissed the rev limiter one too many times which caused the eyebrows.

The valves are 2.05 and 1.60 I beleive, but will meaure them once I get the head back from the machine shop. I'm going to have them cc the combustion chambers as well so I have a better idea of my current compression ratio and it will give me a general idea of how much was milled off the head.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Exhaust leak prior to the 02's will cause the engine to dump fuel.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like it would have bent a valve when it hit that piston. Did it not??
Old 03-13-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Exhaust leak prior to the 02's will cause the engine to dump fuel.
Thats what I thought too. I wouldn't try leaning it out without a wideband, and I would check PTV clearance with your current setup before milling the heads, or plan on cutting clearance for the valves.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:43 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

All the valves are perfectly intact and all four pistons look like that. I measured it and it's very shallow, less than 0.005" according to the digital caliper. My fingernail barely get hung on it, so that's why I beleive it's from an over rev / vavle float from the old springs. Supposedly they didn't have enough seat pressure to hold the lifter on the cam.

Looking at my hp tuner's log, I did notice that the driver's side was reading between +3 to +5 fuel trims at almost every cell, so that's most likely due to the exhaust leak.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:46 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by hammertime
Thats what I thought too. I wouldn't try leaning it out without a wideband, and I would check PTV clearance with your current setup before milling the heads, or plan on cutting clearance for the valves.
I don't plan on milling the heads any more, unless they come back being only slightly milled (<0.020) and my chambers are above 64 cc. I'm simply considering what gasket thickness to order, I was thinking 0.040, but 0.045 might be a safer bet.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:55 PM
10 Second Club

you shouldn't have any P-V clearance problems with the tr224 cam in your sig. even with some good milling and thinner gasket.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:33 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by SSwanner
you shouldn't have any P-V clearance problems with the tr224 cam in your sig. even with some good milling and thinner gasket.
Cool, that's the kind of info I like to hear. I'm still going to take some measurements to make sure I'm safe.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Well, I do have a catchcan on the pcv system and it's pretty effective. There was very little oil in the manifold and the intake ports actually look pretty clean.

I was wondering if the exhaust leak had something to do with how dirty the exhaust ports were.

Fact is, I might just be looking for a problem that doesn't exist. The car ran well, mileage was between 16-17 mpg around town with a pretty heavy foot, and I know that I'm running rich, only because I was to be safe since I don't have a widband and don't want to go unsafely lean.

Once I get it back together, I'll start to lean out the tune gradually and monitor knock.
Your tune is way off with that exhaust leak at the head. Here's why....Air mixes into the stream of flow and flows down to the 02 sensors....02 sensors see more air than usual and add more fueling. Fix the leaks and the car should run a little better and possibly need a retune as well.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:39 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Your tune is way off with that exhaust leak at the head. Here's why....Air mixes into the stream of flow and flows down to the 02 sensors....02 sensors see more air than usual and add more fueling. Fix the leaks and the car should run a little better and possibly need a retune as well.
Exactly, no doubt in my mind at all that I'm running too rich and fully expect to see the same on the passenger side. This is part of the reason why I bought HP tuners myself.

On another note, my father-in-law had a friend who builds / restores cars look at the head, and he said that the first bolt hole needs to be welded, but since the head is an aluminum alloy, it's going to be pricey.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about installing a helicoil or having you machine shop do it. It would be alot easier than welding and retapping if that is even possible.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:45 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Exactly, no doubt in my mind at all that I'm running too rich and fully expect to see the same on the passenger side. This is part of the reason why I bought HP tuners myself.

On another note, my father-in-law had a friend who builds / restores cars look at the head, and he said that the first bolt hole needs to be welded, but since the head is an aluminum alloy, it's going to be pricey.
Or just call Gunnar at Patriot and get a set of $300-400 new LS6 heads. They'll mill them for no extra cost. Then just switch over your valve train and call it a day.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:10 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Or just call Gunnar at Patriot and get a set of $300-400 new LS6 heads. They'll mill them for no extra cost. Then just switch over your valve train and call it a day.
It's going to cost $60 to fix the bolt hole, plus the cost to helicoil the other bolt holes at $10/peice. $100 out the door.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSwanner
With bigger valves and milling, even a TR224 can have problems with clearance. Especially a 2.05 intake valve.

As information, my setup consists of a .045 gasket, 243's milled .010, 2.02 and 1.57 valves, and a TR 224 114. I'm right within spec. I measured almost exactly .080 clearance on the intake. Apparently I can add about .015 since I measured with a checking spring, but that's still close.

A 2.05 valve will eat up clearance with not only the diameter, but the margin too. The margin for those that don't know is the part that hangs down into the combustion chamber below where the valves hit the seat. Here's a good example between a stock valve and an aftermarket one with a big margin. The stock valve is on the right by the way.

Last edited by Xtnct00WS6; 03-14-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:02 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Hmmm, good point Xtnct00WS6. Like I said, I've got some measurements and calculations to do before I can make a decision. Are those measurements in your picture accurate? The aftermarket 2.05 vavle sticks into the combustion chamber 40 thousandths more than stock valves? Maybe I need to rethink using the aftermarket valves and go back to the stock vavles. But wouldn't a valve job specific to the valve negate that difference?

I'm just thinking out loud and creating more confusion for myself.