Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

next best mod but yet not too expensive?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default next best mod but yet not too expensive?!

Ok guys i am looking to get more hp out of my car this summer and not sure what to do next. all of my mods are listed below. i had the car on a dyno and the numbers were 330 to 340 (lost paper work ) which seems low to me for what i did to the care. should i have more than what i have? i have stock heads and cam right now looking to upgrade those as soon as i have some serious cash. other than that as a mod what can i do. and i mean anything not just internal, like suspension ideas rear end anything at all. i believe i have 3:23gears going to 3:73asap. i know its a loaded question for this forum but i need help and i have always gotten good and reliable infomation on here. so any info would be greatly appreciated thank you.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your #'s do seem low, but it could have been on a mustang dyno. (The auto doesnt help with the #'s either)

A cam swap isnt extremely expensive. And neither are patriot heads.

But if you are looking to spend less than like 300 bucks, you could do lower control arms, subframe connectors, torque arm. None of those help you make power, but DO help you get it to the ground.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

I second a cam. gain some good power with a stout cam.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

how is 330-340rwhp low for a car with not much more than lid, intake, tb, pulley and full exhaust??
particularly through an auto!

but if you're planning the big h/c setup later...i would focus on the suspension and trans.

lca and a poly torque arm bushing
gears
Old 03-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Teching In

100 shot and you should be 11's all day !!! I say N2O

I couldn't be with out it now.

mike
Old 03-16-2007, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Ok so most guys say that a cam is the best thing for my car. thank you for the info now which company should i go through i was thinking with afr and if so do i have to do anything with the lower end? suspension is also on the list what is a good company for that as well? looking to keep project some what affordable and yet get most bang for the buck. thank you guys for the info now just need some company names i can trust and get most for my dollar. the most important question is what is a good head and cam package for a car that is a weekend driver with the occasional trip to the track. not to aggresive but you know its there? again thank you for your help all.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are on a budget, then AFR products are not for you. Patriot makes what I'd consider great budget heads, etc.

Cam - HPE, Thunder Racing, Frutural, just to name a few. Do some reading in the internal section.

Suspension - Tons of choices as well. Again if you want the best bang for your buck consider UMI Performance.

Originally Posted by wrath22
Ok so most guys say that a cam is the best thing for my car. thank you for the info now which company should i go through i was thinking with afr and if so do i have to do anything with the lower end? suspension is also on the list what is a good company for that as well? looking to keep project some what affordable and yet get most bang for the buck. thank you guys for the info now just need some company names i can trust and get most for my dollar. the most important question is what is a good head and cam package for a car that is a weekend driver with the occasional trip to the track. not to aggresive but you know its there? again thank you for your help all.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Teching In

I 2nd nitrous. 5-600 hundred gets u a safe 100hp. but if u don't want 2 go that route I say 3.73's and some drag radials.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

I'm really not into the whole nitrous thing it is the best bang for the buck but still not a huge fan. If i do the 3:73 gears w/ the drag radials do u think i would need to beef up the rest of the rear end such as axles ect. When good traction occurs thats when u start to break things i've been told. AFR heads are about how much for a good daily driver slash few passes at the track? Im really stuck on this dont know which way to go. i appreciate the help guys any more info would be great thanks again.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

I'd say some gears and some tires until you've read up a bit more on cams, heads, etc. If you have 3.23's from the factory, you have a 3-series carrier and your gear choice is not limited. You'll only need to swap out the ring and pinion gears for the swap, no upgraded axles or other parts will be needed since you've got an A4 and they're usually easier on the drivetrain than the M6 cars.

Or, you could just save up your cash and save up for a cam upgrade while you research on what type of cam fits your needs.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Thank you Krab. i was wondering if i was limited on the rear end modification thank you for answering that question for me. i am going to put 3:73gears for sure which it will need to be tuned as well. i can't wait to see the difference on the road and track. researching a cam is going to take sometime i need to be carefull on that one. thamks again guys. i'll keep you posted