Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket rocker arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default aftermarket rocker arms

i'm mid-way through a heads/cam swap (torquer 3 which is a LSK/XE-R) and i just read a thread about aftermarket rocker arms but created my own because i didn't wanna ***** his. i see mixed reviews and am wondering what kind of installation aftermarket rocker arms require, specifically yella terras, and what the advantages are. are yella terras adjustable? thanks

Jacob
Old 03-17-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just throwing this out there as an idea or another option. Why not get the stockers rebuilt by Harland Sharpe?

The stockers tend to blow their needle bearings which is no fun to clean up. However the rebuilt stockers are strong, and maintain their lighter weight.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by qwikz28
are yella terras adjustable? thanks

Jacob
My understanding is NO. In addition it is my understanding that most of the relatively inexpensive adjustables rely on a a stud screwed into the small *** factory metric bolt hole. From my experience with old school stuff this would cause a considerable amount of rocker stud flex especially with good dual springs and high lift cams. I have also read that most of the inexpensive bolt on replacement rockers (Harlands, Yella Terra, etc) are actually heavier at the valve than the stock rockers so they require even more spring to compensate for that. Since I can not afford shaft rockers that are adjustable, I have decided to do what the previous poster suggested and send my stockers off to Harland for the upgrade. That wil give me the best light weight rocker I can afford (about $250.00).
Old 03-17-2007, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe Yella Terra makes an adjustable and a non-adjustable version for the LSx. I have the Cranes and prefer their stud mount since the adjustment hardware is at the fulcrum and not in motion with the rocker (Jesel), which is more mass you have to accelerate with the valve. The smaller portion of the stud shouldn't flex if properly preloaded, although the 3/6-16 upper stud section can flex.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i originally planned on getting my stockers rebuilt by Nasty perf... the only thing that swayed me towards the aftermarkets was the lighter weight design of the yella terras. i know this sounds retarded, but it also seems like the LS1 big dawgs on this site are using the yella terras too (i.e. Patrick G and Tony Mamo)
Old 03-18-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

<- runs Harland Sharps and has liked them so far.

The Harland rebuilt stockers are a great alternative though....
Old 03-18-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Comp Pro Magnum 1.75, they are adjustable and comes with studs and guild plates, Here is a pic.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:19 AM
12 Second Club

i know this sounds retarded, but it also seems like the LS1 big dawgs on this site are using the yella terras too (i.e. Patrick G and Tony Mamo)
thats the reason I got some YT waiting for me at home when I get back from the dessert.

fuerzaws6
Old 03-19-2007, 05:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i originally planned on getting my stockers rebuilt by Nasty perf... the only thing that swayed me towards the aftermarkets was the lighter weight design of the yella terras. i know this sounds retarded, but it also seems like the LS1 big dawgs on this site are using the yella terras too (i.e. Patrick G and Tony Mamo)
I thought that Tony was running the Cranes, first the stud mounted and then the new shaft mount Cranes. Not positive on that though.