Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Long Island Dragstrip??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Long Island Dragstrip??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/lo...news-headlines

Minus a strip, LI's a drag, racer's say

March 18, 2007

Hundreds of local motor enthusiasts rallied at Captree State Park in Babylon early yesterday in freezing temperatures to demand a drag strip for Long Island's growing racing community.

Holding "No Dragstrip -- No Levy" bumper stickers, the racers sent a direct message to Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy: They are fed up with Englishtown, N.J., being the nearest drag strip for LI race fans.

Motor enthusiasts say a drag strip on the Island would generate millions for Suffolk County through jobs and racing car fees, eliminate dangerous drag racing on the streets and be a major attraction.

Despite a more than two-hour drive to New Jersey for most racers with the added cost of tolls and gas, many picketing said the trip is well worth it.

"If it was here on Long Island, I would be there every week," said Amityville resident Steven Adams, 29, an auto performance store owner who races a black 2000 Camaro SS. "It's our sport; this is what we do instead of hockey or baseball."

Suffolk Legis. Jon Cooper (D-Lloyd Harbor) agreed a safe strip could benefit the county. Cooper drafted a bill that passed last year, making drag racing on the streets illegal.

"I think this is an activity that we should permit residents to participate in in a safe and legal manner," he said. "The question is finding a community where it is appropriate to put up a drag racing track."

Several Long Island drag strips were closed in recent years, including sites in Islip and Riverhead. Racers said a boom in housing construction is the reason for the closings. Legislators and racers list Yaphank and Enterprise Park at Calverton as possible new drag strip sites.

"We're looking for the worst piece of property on Long Island to build a drag strip. ... This is it," said Don Schilt, 49, of Lindenhurst, about Yaphank. "Long Island has always been about motor sports; now they took everything away. "

The rally was organized by racing enthusiasts over the Internet, drawing in all types, including ATV, moped and vintage race car drivers from across the island. Organizers estimate Long Island has tens of thousands of motor enthusiasts of all ages.

Copyright 2007 Newsday Inc.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

long island represent !
Old 03-19-2007, 09:49 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats cool beans. CT needs a strip
Old 03-19-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Posted my opinion there...
Old 03-19-2007, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MA Needs A Strip Tooo!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by 2000LS1TA
MA Needs A Strip Tooo!!!
You got NED and LVD, be happy.

I wish I could go to NED, its a haul. LVD is just a short 2 hours driving like a normal person.

I made it home on a Wed night leaving at 10pm and made it back in a hour and 23 minutes
Old 03-19-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

FYI, Worcester Airport is such a failure (and has been for years) that the city is probably going to put the place up for sale shortly. (story in last week's news paper here). Massport has been running Worc. Airport for the last few years....they lose millions there every year! It's a great place for a strip, parking, etc.-- everything some wealthy businessman would need. Neighbors always turn their noses up whenever they hear "drag strip", though.... WJ
Old 03-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Internet Mechanic

Even if they put a noise restriction, so who, people can make good power with an exhaust. Id take that over having nothing.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
You got NED and LVD, be happy.

I wish I could go to NED, its a haul. LVD is just a short 2 hours driving like a normal person.

I made it home on a Wed night leaving at 10pm and made it back in a hour and 23 minutes
From my house driving like a normal, NED and LVD are both about an hour and a half. WJ is right. I drive by Worcester Airport almost everyday going to school (Worcester State) and that place is such a failure. I have also been saying they should put a strip there!! I think if they put one in central Mass it would bring all the people from Mass, CT, and RI!
Old 03-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

A track on long island would be good IMO, it's robably closer then LVD and definately closer then NED at least to me. I kinda wish that CT woudl ahve let someone build a drag strip where the old pratt airport was.. but instead we have the stupid CT college football field and now a cabella's going in, both of which could have/should have been built somewhere else.

Any new track in teh area between e town and lvd/ned would be an improvment, I can promise that if a track in CT opened up within 30 minutes of hartford the place would be at max capacity every day it was open, hell I know I"d be going at least once a week if it was that close.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Man, The old Connecticut Dragway was 1 of the best NHRA strips in the east. Now the "Consumer Reports" mag owners are testing new cars and trucks on the old strip for stories in the magazine.(at least, last I knew.) It's in East Haddam/Colchester, Ct. Anyone else know where it is? WJ
Old 03-19-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

My dad's house is right down the street from that old strip. Like 15 minutes tops.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:42 PM
11 Second Club

What I'd give for a strip on LI....
Old 03-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Teching In

No Dragstrip=No Levy! If you want to support the cause go to captree sunday mornings for the cruise/rally.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

That would be awesome, more drag strips are always a good thing. Im skeptical though, strips that are operating now are constanly under pressure from the town to be shut down cause of noise, nevermind opening more. It will be tough to pull off.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

a strip and a decently priced place to get a dyno tune.