Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good idea or bad idea? 4th Gen stuff in a '68/'69 Camaro or '69 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Good idea or bad idea? 4th Gen stuff in a '68/'69 Camaro or '69 Firebird

Thinking of buying a '68/'69 camaro or a '69 firebird fairly cheap ... maybe one with a blown motor and tranny. I want to take the entire motor, wiring harness, and pcm out of my 1999 Trans Am and have them installed in the '68/'69 camaro or '69 firebird I'm thinking of buying. Since a mid-high mileage motor, transmission, and 10-bolt are pretty much dirt cheap, I want to spend about $1,500 on them and have them put in my Trans Am and convert it back to stock to sell.

How much do you think it would cost for a shop to change all this stuff out and do you think it's worth the cost in the long run?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Come see me if you're serious. I even have an example to exhibit for you
Old 03-21-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's doable, but there's no such thing as cheap 67-69 Camaro/Firebirds,
Old 03-21-2007, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes where are these cheap 67-69 camaros I'll take a few of em
Old 03-21-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

I've never seen a dirt cheap LS1 either--now a 5.3 on the other hand...

If you want to get some idea of what you'll spend on parts, I've been keeping a running total on my swap at http://www.blown.net/ls1swap/partslist.html

None of that includes labor. I've got a few hundred man hours in it. And I haven't even thought about doing any body work yet.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

I missd that part. Everything sounds good about your idea except the cheap part. You're a little off on the high mileage LS1 price... but not too far. our 12 bolt won't work in the 1st gen, but you can probably sell it for more than a 1st gen 12 bolt wil cost you.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I was gonna chime in about the cheap part. Ive been looking for a 69 Charger...and those suckers even in rough shape bring some coin. Just like the late 60's camaros and birds. Its tough to find one for an attractive price that is actually fixable. Some are rusted so bad they are no better than a yard ornament.

If I ever do find an affordable 69 whatever, that is in decent enough shape, Ide probably be putting it back to close to stock just for the fact that they are becoming more valuable.

Good luck with your search man! Your car/motor is out there somewhere. Just be prepared to have to drive across the country to pick up a rust free car or something when you find one! Lots of good stuff out in arizona...

Justin
Old 03-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Thinking of buying a '68/'69 camaro or a '69 firebird fairly cheap ... maybe one with a blown motor and tranny. I want to take the entire motor, wiring harness, and pcm out of my 1999 Trans Am and have them installed in the '68/'69 camaro or '69 firebird I'm thinking of buying. Since a mid-high mileage motor, transmission, and 10-bolt are pretty much dirt cheap, I want to spend about $1,500 on them and have them put in my Trans Am and convert it back to stock to sell.

How much do you think it would cost for a shop to change all this stuff out and do you think it's worth the cost in the long run?
With the purchase of the car and the purchase of the drivetrane and to pay someone to do this, I would say a minimum of 15 grand. 67-69 camaros are anything but cheap ....
Old 03-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I disagree with those who say there are "no such thing as a cheap first gen camaro or firebird".

They are RARE, yes, but not impossible to find.

I'll give you 2 examples, one of each breed, one was my purchase, the other is a personal friends. No urban legends here.

1- 69 firebird. I purchased for $1,800 (just over a year ago). 2 owner car, 94k original miles. COMPLETE, and then some. The catch- yes, it was apart. but complete. all the trim, extra 400 hood, extra rear (10 bolt) 2 extra manifolds, 2 extra gearsets, original blue plates, gm service books, new headliner, and the previous owner rebuilt the front end and installed disc brakes (was a power drum car). The car does need to be stripped and repainted (effectively restored), and a few interior pieces need replacing (carpet, etc) but there are no cracks in the dash or steering wheel. even came with a rechromed rear bumper and new headliner. Minimal rust in the front fenders- very common area where leaves and debris collect.. Not even rusted at the rear widow base... came with numbers matching engine and trans, too. right down to the stamped metal tag for the carb.

This car was listed for sale in the yahoo classifieds. I got it because I was the first to reply. No special "I know someone who knows someone insider type of deals". ANYBODY could have got this. It just happened to be me.

2- '67 camaro. and this one is really sick- $500! This my friend purchased for his son. (probably 4 years ago) This car came with a complete extra engine, steel cowl induction hood, extra interior and nos GM quarter panel. (the qtr panel was worth 500, let alone the entire car!) This car did need the quarter panel replacement because of a minor accident, but it too was a solid, clean car. He fixed it up with his son and now it's his son's car. (he drives a '68 camaro convertible).

This car was his neighbors car where it sat in the garage for years. He'd occasionally walk up to the owner's house and inquire, and would be shut down. one day the neighbor approached him and offered it to him as he knew my friend would properly restore it and he was moving. the deal was made and he got the car.

Not trying to be a jerk/ brag or show off here but the point is with a little legwork anyone can still find a good deal out there. I generally have horrible luck in life and even I can locate them in Los Angeles (land of the overpriced) so can you.

-Brendon

Last edited by tuske427; 03-22-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

nos GM quarter panel. (the qtr panel was worth 500,
-Brendon[/QUOTE]

One NOS quarter panel is worth $1000 to $1500, not $500
Old 03-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

You and your friend are lucky! That is definitely not the norm .... a guy I know just sold a '67 camaro for 7 grand with rotted rails and floorpan. Complete, with a V8. In need of serious attention, paint, quarters, framerails, floors .... I live in the midwest though .... Personally, I wouldn't have given him 5 grand for it. But the point is, people pay good money for these cars. The guy he sold it changed the wheels, washed it, put it on ebay, and got 9 grand for it. It's all about timing.

I don't know what the rest of the country is like. But that camaro for 500 bucks is a once in a lifetime type deal as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I agree the camaro is a super rare exception, but it can and does happen. My friend Ken does stumble on many good deals, but that has to be the best one, imo. Of course, he searches for them. He inquires, he will go up to a strangers house and ask about a parked car and he gets rejected many times, too. But from time to time it pays off.

I attached pics of my (lesser) deal. It's still a good deal, imo, because the car is super complete, but, during the cars life it had received a few paint jobs. orginally a verdoro green/ green car.

I've since traded it (about 3 weeks ago) for labor on my '57 plymouth belvedere to a mechanic friend of mine. Going through a divorce so I have to liquidate the non essentials. such is life. one good deal gets passed on to another.
Attached Thumbnails Good idea or bad idea?  4th Gen stuff in a '68/'69 Camaro or '69 Firebird-dsc00194web.jpg.jpg   Good idea or bad idea?  4th Gen stuff in a '68/'69 Camaro or '69 Firebird-69firebird2web.jpg  
Old 03-22-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's alot easier to buy the cars that are next door, now walk up to one that has been sitting in a populated area and they get 4 knocks a week on the door,

I tried to buy a 69 that a friend owns, shes seen my 68 so she knows I'd treat it right, her mom bought it brand new, but it's a beach car, very rusty, people were offering her up to $3500 for it, 6cyl 3 spd car, I sold a 67 RS for $600 10 yrs ago, worse than the 69, I wish I would have kept it,
Old 03-22-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

I've been looking on Ebay and there are tons of them that have sold for between $7,000-$11,000 that have good solid bodies and that's all I'm really interested in. Maybe the rearend would be good ... don't care much about the motor or tranny.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:46 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

That's cool. By "cheap" I figured you meant a few G's. A friend of mine picked up a clean 67 SS for 10K with no motor or trans or interior, ans a **** 10 bolt... but the chrome was all good, and it still has the original solid rockers, floorpans, doorskins, roof, cowl, ..... it was real solid except for the bottoms of the quarters. The paint and body work is what kills a project, both financially and in aggrivation in waiting for it to get done.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Whistler
The paint and body work is what kills a project, both financially and in aggrivation in waiting for it to get done.
Think I'm going to enjoy driving mine for a while before I start on that At least it looks good at 20ft right now.

Or at least I will once it's put back together again--the T56 is going off to SixSpeedsInc tomorrow, and the replacement for the bad tilt column I got from Rick's is still on backorder.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Good luck Jeb on building a "cheap" first gen LS1 conversion. Don't forget the "now that I'm here, I can upgrade this for a little more" factor. That's what always gets me, the upgrading part. Also, you'll save more money on buying the more expensive rust free cars than you will buying the lower priced car that has rust; unless you can do your own body work and have a lot of free time!
Old 03-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

I see good deals on 1st gen Firebirds all the time BTW. If you like those you can cut your startup costs in half or so it seems... I don't know if they're any more to buy parts for once you get restoring.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:33 AM
TECH Addict

There's a guy at work who had a solid 68 camaro ... silver with black striping/trim. He sold it for $9,500 and it looked nearly as good as it did when it came off the assembly line. Now, he's almost sick at his stomach everytime he thinks about it. Somebody got one of those 'rare deals' ... just wish I had the money at the time .... 2 years ago.

I really want a 1st gen car bad. I'm thinking of just trading up even ... my Trans Am for their 1st Gen. I've just got so much money tied up in this car ... a ton just in the driveline and motor alone. Mine's low mileage with 56K on the clock and only about 10K on the motor and entire driveline.

I would be nice to make an all-out drag racer out of it and still have a 1st gen, but, I just bought a new house and it's not cheap. I could still do both, however, I don't want to start living on a budget again. I'm 49 y.o. and getting too old to go back into that mode.

Maybe I CAN go the firebird route and still keep the TA. I'd prob just have to kepe the 1st gen original and forget about the swap. On the fence ... need to hear some encouraging things about an LS1 conversion to a 1st Gen car ... don't guess there is much to be encouraged about ... considering the money/time/effort I'd have to put into it. But, this is what I really want, even if I have to sell the '99 out right, which I am so attached to.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Gather parts or buy a pull out, buy a car, put the 2 together as time/money allows,

Chris, what about 1st gen birds what kind of prices???

Quick Reply: Good idea or bad idea? 4th Gen stuff in a '68/'69 Camaro or '69 Firebird