Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is my rear end going for good??? Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Is my rear end going for good??? Help!!!

my 99 T/A's got 83k on it. about a week or two ago we had it up on a loaded lift and notice there was diff fluid spray over the undercarrige spraying towards the front of the car, figuring its probably coming from teh diff seal by the U joint. anyways recently my car has been seemign to whine a little bit more than usual, and today right before i upull up to my hosue maybe 150ft away, (the road to my house has a small down slope) i was doing about 40 and gradually slowing down with make brakes, and the car started to make an unusual whining noise like ive never heard it make. take note the tranny is practically brand new it was rebuilt the beginning of last december. from waht we can tell im about 90% positive the posi in the rear is shot. should i get my rear end opened up and filled with new fluid? is my rear finally going? or should i just leave it alone??? i need help to try and make this last as long as possible i dont plan on having money for a new rear till late summer ish..... ANY ideas??? help much appreciated.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

The fluid is likely coming from the pinion seal, and the noise is probably a result of the lost fluid. take the cover off and check it out.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

ill prob take it down to a shop to get the fluid changed n that. just lookin for opinions. if any expensive maintenance has to be done i might be forced to just look into a new rear end
Old 03-22-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you been keeping up with the fluid? I bet the pinion seal is leaking and it got low on fluid and began to damage the internals.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

i bought the car at 72k its got 83 now and i was just thinkin bout gettin fluid changed a few weeks ago.

im takin it to the shop sat morning to get opened up, washed out and find out wtf if anything is messed up. i know the posi is shott but im gonna leave it alone for now. this rear just needs to last me till end of the summer and i should be good
Old 03-25-2007, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

took the cover off today..... pinion seal is deff shot, but will have to hold me till summer when i get a new rear end. the posi was GONE lol that thing was shottt, and the gears werent bad but you could see a small line starting to form on em which of course along with the whine will get worse as time goes on. so basically as long as i dont beat the **** out of it i should be ok till my new rear. plus good thing we changed the fluid, that **** was blackkkkkkk
Old 03-25-2007, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Was their any preload on the pinion bearings? If the pinion bearings are shot you will lose the preload on the pinion bearings causing the pinion to get loose in the housing. The loose pinion will cause the seal to leak horribly, and will also cause the contact pattern to go to crap.

That pinion seal would have had to be leaking pretty bad for a while now to cause the fluid to drop enough to hurt anything just from lack of fluid.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

from what i remember i dont believe it is leaking THAT badly, but just enough to over time spray the underbody of the car with spun off diff oil pretty good. i dont think the bearings are shot. but like i said we did notice a wear line starting to form on the large open round gear (sorry i forget the name of it, but not the pinion the other one)

now i got him pricing out what it would cost to make that rear a VERY solid built ten bolt as well as to put a new 12 bolt setup in but im like 99% sure 12 bolt is the way im goin

**Also, i forgot to add that i think he may have checked for that or something similiar. i remember him grabbing the diff as well as the driveshaft right by the yoke and trying to wiggle it, im guessing looking for play like you said right?

Last edited by firechicken99; 03-26-2007 at 02:42 AM.