Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does VSS have to be hooked up on a six speed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:00 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Does VSS have to be hooked up on a six speed?

I was already running a t56 before I swapped to the LS1 and I wired the VSS up to an autometer electronic speedo. I have it hooked up the same way on this new six gear and my speedo works fine but i wanted to know if the PCM needs VSS input for anything or if I can leave it disconnected? I dont know if this has been covered before but search is wonky for me right now. Thanks
Old 03-23-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

It uses it at some points I think for fueling calculations, other than that and I am sure it is not hooked up will be egr operation and skip shift. The way I ran my auto meter speedo in my monte was leaving the two wire running from the trans to the vss sensor intact and then just t'd in the signal to the speedometer with the vss high signal wire and it worked fine.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was told that for a manual trans, the PCM doesn't really need the signal. For an Auto.. it needs it.
I have been running without it connected and it runs find. But as stated. It maybe used for something other than normal Engine operations and performance.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it had to be hooked up... I left mine hooked up like it was in the 99 donor car. I ran my Autometer speedo off of the PCM output. The blue or white plug...not sure which, but I ran those inside just like the 99 had them and hooked up to them.

When Im coming to a stop, with the clutch in, my RPMs do not return to idle. They stay slightly elevated, UNTIL I hit a certain speed. Say, 5mph. Then they drop to idle. I assumed that was the way it was supposed to be.

That being said...my harness and PCM are for a 99 auto car, but it was all converted for a T-56. Not sure if that has any bearing or not.

Ill find out for sure when I get it tuned. I think Im going to have an M6 PCM flashed into mine, and then see how things go.

Justin
Old 03-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It uses the VSS signal for the reverse lockout. Not that it is a real big deal.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:13 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Hmm Well I have a tune booked next week and want to tidy up any details before i go to ensure all goes well. I already have a button wired in for the reverse lockout from my last set up so no biggie there. I suppose it likely not a big deal to splice my speedo into the LS1 harness and ditch my old wiring. I was just curious whether or not it is actually required for something else calibration wise etc. Looks like its not a big deal from what y'all say. Thanks guys
Old 03-23-2007, 09:33 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

When Im coming to a stop, with the clutch in, my RPMs do not return to idle. They stay slightly elevated, UNTIL I hit a certain speed. Say, 5mph. Then they drop to idle. I assumed that was the way it was supposed to be.
My idle is whacked too hence the tune appointment. Dont know if you saw this or not but it helped me

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/177230-stop-drilling-those-tbs-fix-stalling-without-computer-tuning.html
Old 03-23-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking through tables in HPTuners, I see the PCM on an 6-speed model uses VSS for EGR diag, IAC tweaking, MAF idle zone determination, deceleration fuel cut-off, idle proportional closed loop, LTFT idle cells, disabling main spark table, CAGS, reverse lockout, disabling Fan1, and to output signal for cruise and ABS. I bet it'll drive better with it hooked it.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:37 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Looking through tables in HPTuners, I see the PCM on an 6-speed model uses VSS for EGR diag, IAC tweaking, MAF idle zone determination, deceleration fuel cut-off, idle proportional closed loop, LTFT idle cells, disabling main spark table, CAGS, reverse lockout, disabling Fan1, and to output signal for cruise and ABS. I bet it'll drive better with it hooked it.

Thanks bro thats exactly what I was after
Old 03-23-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah sounds like it does need the VSS for a few things. Good list there...

Im hoping for a decent increase in power...but maybe more importantly an increase in driveability when I get a tune. So we'll see!

CAM let us know how it goes when you go in for a tune!

J.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jesse at Wait4MePerformance told me that it wasn't needed with M6.. but maybe he tuned around this as I don't have EGR, A/C, etc... just the Engine, stand alone fan's.. etc..

Quick Reply: Does VSS have to be hooked up on a six speed?