LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

old procharger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old procharger?

Does anybody know if this is an old procharger kit or a modified procharger kit? it says procharger on the intake duct but I thought procharger intercoolers were on top of the motor not under it. Its my friends car who bought it the way it is and he doesn't know much about it. The car is a 97 z28 and he wants to sell it to me for a low price and seeing as how its got a fresh motor, full suspension upgrades and supercharger it seems like a killer deal. I just don't want to get stuck with a junk supercharger kit. The car has an oil leak from the intake (he thinks) a misfire (bad optispark probably) and supposedly overheats on long drives. Even with the problems it seems like a good deal but I'd like to get some outside opinions. any help would be much appreciated, thanks
Attached Thumbnails old procharger?-97-z28.jpg   old procharger?-97z282.jpg   old procharger?-imagejpeg_0.jpg   old procharger?-imagejpeg_2.jpg  
Old 03-26-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duffman2
Does anybody know if this is an old procharger kit or a modified procharger kit? it says procharger on the intake duct but I thought procharger intercoolers were on top of the motor not under it. Its my friends car who bought it the way it is and he doesn't know much about it. The car is a 97 z28 and he wants to sell it to me for a low price and seeing as how its got a fresh motor, full suspension upgrades and supercharger it seems like a killer deal. I just don't want to get stuck with a junk supercharger kit. The car has an oil leak from the intake (he thinks) a misfire (bad optispark probably) and supposedly overheats on long drives. Even with the problems it seems like a good deal but I'd like to get some outside opinions. any help would be much appreciated, thanks
I use to have one of those kits on my old white 94 Z28. It's a procharger and none of the blowers for our cars sit high unless you are thinking about a roots blower and the only guy I saw make that happen was Alvin from PCMForless.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

I meant the intercooler or I guess aftercooler for prochargers sits on top of the motor, air to water I believe. The intercooler on this car is air to air and appears to sit behind the air dam at the bottom of the motor.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Good lord that is one dirty engine...
Old 03-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

The car has been sitting in basically the desert for a while, so ya its pretty damn dirty but nothing a little water and soap can't take care of. My brother is a mechanic so any problems should be easy to handle but has anyone ever seen this type of sc kit or know if its any good?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

-Vortech aftercoolers are Air-Water and sit up high in the engine compartment.
-ProCharger only sells Air-Water intercoolers for the all out race car crowd. None of there kits comes with one, only Air-Air.

Thats an old P600B or P1sc kit for the LT1 cars w/ the std 3core intercooler. Upgraded kits had twin coolers under the headlight areas on each side just ahead of the radiator support. Yet still horizontally mounted.

That intercooler can cool air, but not too good because of its location.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Is it possible to upgrade to the twin intercoolers? I'm also told this supercharger does not have a self contained oil system and is oiled by the motor which doesn't really seem like it would make to much of a difference. The motor only has about 25k on it and I believe the supercharger is about the same, how long should I expect either to last at 6-7 psi?
Old 03-26-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it possible to upgrade to the twin intercoolers? I'm also told this supercharger does not have a self contained oil system and is oiled by the motor which doesn't really seem like it would make to much of a difference. The motor only has about 25k on it and I believe the supercharger is about the same, how long should I expect either to last at 6-7 psi?
You can but it's really pointless. That supercharger doesn't support much more anyway which is why the current intercooler is sufficient.

When you say "fresh motor" is that just a stock rebuild or...? That would determine how long the motor will last. If it's just stock with stock compression than the motor can last as long as you don't beat on it and as long as you can keep a good tune in the car. Back in the day I popped my motor on only 6#'s of boost but it was a cold night and the air got nice and dense and I didn't adjust the tune for it when I was racing a bike.

Some of those old systems were hit or miss with the P600/P1SC so hopefully it's all good. I know some guys (Ellis ) can attest to the nightmare that they caused...
Old 03-26-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats a P600B kit, its missing the air scoop on the intercooler tho with out that its not getting any air to it to help cool, the diffrence between a self contained and a non isnt that big but with will tend to heat the air up a little more since there is hot oil in there, the self contained ones dont get as hot. but with that scoop not being there and being oil cooled Im sure the air charge temp is really hot.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

I have the same set up - I ended up mounting an 8 inch pro-cool fan (puller) on top of the intercooler. It pulls air through the intercooler nicely and made a big difference.

Another thing...I see it still has the stock FMU. My opinion....don't use it. Get bigger injectors, a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator (Aeromotive makes a good one for the LT1), and get it professionally tuned. I did not initially.....and promptly leaned out at high RMP and blew a head gasket - lucky I did not blow the motor.

Last edited by real82it; 03-26-2007 at 06:38 PM. Reason: added info...
Old 03-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

I'm probably going to buy the car, I just have never seen that intercooler on a F-body but I also haven't had too much experience with forced induction either. I guess I also didn't really make myself clear, the stock motor overheated and blew and was replaced by a stock low mile lt1 from a wrecked car. From what I hear the motor is bone stock except for a flowmaster muffler, 170 thermo and the supercharger. I do have a '98 T56 Z28 I'm going to try to use for a trans swap and any other parts that would work better including injectors which I don't think are really much bigger. My brother also is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to tuning F bodies so that should help with getting it running properly. The intercooler scoop seems like something I could easily make out of sheet metal and I have a permacool fan laying around I could probably use also. you cant see it from the pics I posted but the motor does have a aftermarket fuel regulator (if that's what you mean by fmu) that I believe came with the supercharger kit. here's a better pic
Attached Thumbnails old procharger?-97z282.jpg  
Old 03-26-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
Good lord that is one dirty engine...
word
Old 03-27-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I do have a '98 T56 Z28 I'm going to try to use for a trans swap and any other parts that would work better including injectors which I don't think are really much bigger.
Your not going to be able to use the T56 from your 98. The clutch/transmission design is completely different. Also, the 28# injectors in the 98's are rated at a different flowrate so you'll also not want to bother with those either if thats what you were thinking (they are rated at a lower pressure).
Old 03-27-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bunch of good advice above... Couple things Id like to point out though.
Like someone else said above ~ get rid of that FMU, and install at least 42# injectors.

A different pressure regulator is pointless, the stock one will do fine.

You'll need to make sure their's at least a Walbro 255lph in-tank pump in there... The inline booster pumps that come with the kits are garbage. A Racetronix twin in-tank setup would be ideal for insurance.

If its lubed with engine oil its the P600B supercharger

Unless your bro has LT1edit or TunerCats, a wideband A/F monitor and LOTS of experience with Forced Induction, I would not let him touch it.
Tuning boosted LT1's requires alot more specialized experience than just simply stating "I have lots of experience tuning F-body's".
Stock LT1 motors are fragile when playing with boost, therefore it takes extreme amounts of knowledge to properly tune one.

Basically, be careful who you allow to work on the car, as it could very easily end up costing you a motor and a huge headache.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the advice, my brother does have LT1 edit and a wideband but not to much experience with forced induction but I was planning on taking it to a reputable dyno tuner anyway. Regarding my 98 the main parts I want to use are the coil packs and interior parts and I still haven't done to much research but I have heard the main difference between lt1 and ls1 t56's are the input shafts, clutch assembly's and bellhousing which can be changed but I could be wrong. I still haven't completely decided on buying the car because I definitely want another 6 speed car but if I cant use my 98 trans stuff I might steer away from the purchase.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

you want it just because it has a supercharger dont you.....
Old 03-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
you want it just because it has a supercharger dont you.....
well with 35k miles on the car and 25k on the motor with perfect body, aftermarket hood, full hotchkis suspension and perfect interior for $5k it seems like a killer deal, and I definitely don't want to go from a ls1 f body to a lt1 with less power. and ya, I want a supercharger
Old 03-27-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

...but I have heard the main difference between lt1 and ls1 t56's are the input shafts, clutch assembly's and bellhousing which can be changed but I could be wrong. I still haven't completely decided on buying the car because I definitely want another 6 speed car but if I cant use my 98 trans stuff I might steer away from the purchase.
It uses a different clutch setup. The LS1 T56's use a hydraulic setup while the LT1 uses the traditional push/pull type setup so you cannot just bolt up and use. Everything else you described is different too which goes right along with the reason.

There is some good info in the thread but 42# injectors are NOT necessary with the mods you have described. If there is one thing to never forget is that forced induction requires you to spend more period. So never skimp or you'll regret it later....
Old 03-27-2007, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like a damn good deal at that price....
Fix the old designed **** (FMU ) and it will fly....I used to run one of those kits at 6-7 psi and was always worried the stock pistons were going on vacation. Never did though, and that kit went on to another F-body. FI can work on stock LT1 engine very reliablely if you get rid of those few comings mentioned on here. Just watch and fuel curves and boost on cold nights....
Old 03-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

well it sounds like I might be driving another F-body pretty soon. I just don't know if I can live with a fast auto-trans car. I think I might just have to cut a big friggin hole in the floor for the hydraulic master and make that 98 T56 setup work. hopefully.

Quick Reply: old procharger?