LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

old procharger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Big Show
...There is some good info in the thread but 42# injectors are NOT necessary with the mods you have described.
I figure 42's would leave him some room to grow. At 10psi they will be at there limit though... At least they were for me.

10psi, completely stock motor, full exhaust, and ignition upgrades as the only mods... I was getting 100% duty cycle by 5600 rpm's... But stayed in a 'safe' A/F ratio untill 6500 were we shut it down.

Based on that experience, I would go with at least 42's on that setup.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fire67
I figure 42's would leave him some room to grow. At 10psi they will be at there limit though... At least they were for me.

10psi, completely stock motor, full exhaust, and ignition upgrades as the only mods... I was getting 100% duty cycle by 5600 rpm's... But stayed in a 'safe' A/F ratio untill 6500 were we shut it down.

Based on that experience, I would go with at least 42's on that setup.
Thats interesting...my experience was completely opposite on my stock motor. But this is all good info none the less.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Big Show
Thats interesting...my experience was completely opposite on my stock motor. But this is all good info none the less.
Whats really interesting is how many 'similar' setups you see people writing about that make completely different power levels and need completely different amounts of fuel.

I wasnt trying to argue.. Ive seen enough to know that its very possible to get away with running as small as 36's.

The topic starter should take what everyone says with a grain of salt, because there is no possible way for us to tell him exactly what is needed. He should take this info, file it away as a 'reference' and go at it himself to actually find out whats needed.

In my case I didnt change the requlator, so I ran the 42's at stock FP... If I were to have installed an adjustable regulator, I could have raised the pressure and not run out of injector quite yet. The topic starter can probably run 36's safely if he installs an adjustable regulator to up the pressure if needed.
FWIW, I made 453rwhp through a M6 and stock rear with the setup described in my previous post. I dont see the setup in question making that kinda power with 6-7psi, but if he goes with 42's he'll have room to grow.

And you know how us boosted guys get... The power we have is never enough
Old 03-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

This is all good info and i appreciate everyone chipping in there opinions. The first thing I plan on doing is getting the car dyno tuned at a reputable LT1 tuner shop to see where I'm at. I do plan on going with bigger injectors soon and a forged bottom end down the line to handle more boost. One thing I am a little disapointed in is that the system seems like its a lower end procharged kit and it won't handle what I eventually hope to do to the car. I also am really hoping to be able to use my 98 t56 setup even if I have to modefy it if possible, which I hope it is.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

i just bought a used procharger. what intercooler should i use?
Old 03-28-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am about to maybe... buy a used Vortech supercharger for my LT1 also....
Old 03-28-2007, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

I have been told that the supercharged car in question does overheat on long drives and I also believe the car is running on a stock tune. Could the stock tune be the reason for the overheating or could the car just be running lean due to the stock fuel injectors? I know the previous motor from what I hear cracked a head due to the same problem and that is why it was replaced with a newer motor.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I made 453rwhp through a M6 and stock rear with the setup described in my previous post.
453rwhp and an M6? So how many minutes did that stock rear end last?
Old 03-30-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by duffman2
well with 35k miles on the car and 25k on the motor with perfect body, aftermarket hood, full hotchkis suspension and perfect interior for $5k it seems like a killer deal, and I definitely don't want to go from a ls1 f body to a lt1 with less power. and ya, I want a supercharger
well i'd have to agree with you. 5K for 35K miles is damn nice. sounds like it has something funky going on though...
Old 03-30-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula413
453rwhp and an M6? So how many minutes did that stock rear end last?
It handled quite a few 4500-5000rpm dumps on radials... I rebuilt it once (due to a worn out diff and axle bearings) and then I messed up the motor. So I never got to 'total' the rear end out. I installed a custom 9" when I did the motor so I wouldnt have to worry about the rear end anymore.

Edit> That 10bolt survived through 3 4L60e's and a T56... The car was originally an A4 car. So it rocked 3.23's even with the T56. When it wore out with the T56 in there I put 3.73's in. So that may explain why it lasted as long as it did.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Well the car is my friends girlfriends car who bought it and on the way home it blew the motor due to overheating. He then bought a used motor from a wrecked car that had 25k on it from his friend who works at a sand rail shop. He installed the newer motor with his mechanic uncle putting the supercharger from the old motor on it. After that he noticed a misfire, an oil leak from the intake manifold and it would still overheat after running for a little while. He then got annoyed with the problems and parked it till now. So that's why its selling for so cheap and the fact that he's my friend.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Whats really interesting is how many 'similar' setups you see people writing about that make completely different power levels and need completely different amounts of fuel.

I wasnt trying to argue.. Ive seen enough to know that its very possible to get away with running as small as 36's.

The topic starter should take what everyone says with a grain of salt, because there is no possible way for us to tell him exactly what is needed. He should take this info, file it away as a 'reference' and go at it himself to actually find out whats needed.

In my case I didnt change the requlator, so I ran the 42's at stock FP... If I were to have installed an adjustable regulator, I could have raised the pressure and not run out of injector quite yet. The topic starter can probably run 36's safely if he installs an adjustable regulator to up the pressure if needed.
FWIW, I made 453rwhp through a M6 and stock rear with the setup described in my previous post. I dont see the setup in question making that kinda power with 6-7psi, but if he goes with 42's he'll have room to grow.

And you know how us boosted guys get... The power we have is never enough
This is a great post!

Quick Reply: old procharger?