Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

GSD3 vs Pilot Sport vs Eagle F1 supercar

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GSD3 vs Pilot Sport vs Eagle F1 supercar

GSD3 vs Pilot Sport vs Eagle F1 supercar

Has anyone compared/owned two of the three tires above on the same car?

I have owned GSD3's since they came out but unfortunatley Goodyear doesnt make the GSD3 in the larger/wider tire size that I am looking at moving to, so I am thinking of switching to F1 supercars (If I go ZO6 size) or Pilots if I move up to 335/345s.

Tire Rim Section width tread width O.D.
Eagle F1 GSD3: 275/30ZR19 9-10" 10.9 9.3 25.5
Eagle F1 GSD3: 285/35ZR18 9.5-11 11.4 9.7 25.9
Eagle F1 Supercar 325/30ZR19 12-13" 13.2 11.6 26.7
Mich Pilot Sport 335/30ZR18 12-13 13.3 ?? 26.1

I guess my main question is for those of you that have owned both, did you feel one was superior over the other? Am I going to get much more traction on a 12 wide tire @ 26" OD versus a 10.5-11 tire @ 25.5" OD?

My goal is to be as near 500 RWHP NA when finished, not just the 10-15 in my sig

Last edited by ROCNDAV; 03-26-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your planning on putting down that kind of power you might as well just get some ET Streets and call it a day.

I've run my GSD3's for about a year now and love it, but I agree, I wish they had a wider selection, I'd be happy as a pig in if they just made a 295 or a 305 size tire.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:46 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Eagle F1 supers are IMO one of the worst tires ever created. What ever you do, stay away from those. They are shitty compared to any of the BFGs/Michelins in every catagory. BFG doesn't offer tires above 295s for the KDs though...

You've got 19" wheels, and 18" wheels in your choices. Don't quite get that, if your trying to put 500rwhp down on 19" wheels you are going to be SOL.

It can be done with the 18s, a 335 is a lot of meat to have under there. The pilot sports don't hook up the greatest of all the tires out there though.

I agree with running a drag radial. 500rwhp is going to be hard to hook up. Bunch of new sizes out in 18s from MT. I'd look in that direction. It just depends on how serious you are about hooking up. And are you willing to give up cornering ability as a trade off. Other wise, buy 2 more rear wheels and have the setup for both...
Old 03-26-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Eagle F1 supers are IMO one of the worst tires ever created. What ever you do, stay away from those. They are shitty compared to any of the BFGs/Michelins in every catagory. BFG doesn't offer tires above 295s for the KDs though...

You've got 19" wheels, and 18" wheels in your choices. Don't quite get that, if your trying to put 500rwhp down on 19" wheels you are going to be SOL.

It can be done with the 18s, a 335 is a lot of meat to have under there. The pilot sports don't hook up the greatest of all the tires out there though.

I agree with running a drag radial. 500rwhp is going to be hard to hook up. Bunch of new sizes out in 18s from MT. I'd look in that direction. It just depends on how serious you are about hooking up. And are you willing to give up cornering ability as a trade off. Other wise, buy 2 more rear wheels and have the setup for both...
The car will be a DD, so I don't want to run ET's on it everyday. I will probably get an extra set for the track to mount ETs on. I may go 17x11 for track purposes.

So I guess it is really between GSD3's and the pilots, huh?
Old 03-26-2007, 10:47 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

I'm still confused... What size rear wheel are you trying to go with? 17/18/19?

You've got hardly any choices 19" wise. And I wouldn't recommened anything that big when you're trying prevent wheel spin.

Another option you didn't list are Toyo RA1s. Awesome tires, especially for the money. I'm really impressed with them.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
I'm still confused... What size rear wheel are you trying to go with? 17/18/19?

You've got hardly any choices 19" wise. And I wouldn't recommened anything that big when you're trying prevent wheel spin.

Another option you didn't list are Toyo RA1s. Awesome tires, especially for the money. I'm really impressed with them.
It's still up in the air for me. I am planning on having some wheels custom made, so I can mak them any size that I want. I originally was thinking of going with 18x12 and widening my rear fenders like the Dick Harrell / Berger super cars.

As I mentioned above, this tire decision is for my daily driver application. If I decide to take her to the track, then I will have another set of rear wheels made up for that situation (probably 17x11 with ETs)

Hmm, I was just looking at the GSD3 tires in 17x11 size, 315/35ZR17 they have a tread width of 11.2" and OD of 25.7 . They are about $20 more than the 285/35ZR18 but $100 cheaper than the pilots listed above.

and you can even get Hoosier A6/R6 in that size (not sure if those are any good) if I decide to get track tires.

I'm a bit of a Goodyear ho, so I may be a bit biased in my decisions. I havent checked out the Toyos, so I don't know anything about them. I don't like cheap tires, thats the one thing I don't mind spending a little more on. Not only are they for grabbing and handling but they really help for braking and emergency situations.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:48 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
I'm a bit of a Goodyear ho, so I may be a bit biased in my decisions. I havent checked out the Toyos, so I don't know anything about them. I don't like cheap tires, thats the one thing I don't mind spending a little more on. Not only are they for grabbing and handling but they really help for braking and emergency situations.
That's a good thing. I'm the opposite... I hate just about every tire Goodyear has ever produced. The GSD3 isn't all bad, but I don't prefer it. I usually only run Michelins on my car. But they are the most expensive... Traction on a 335 Pilot Sport should be decent.

I deal with a lot of high end cars, and lot of performance tires. The Toyos aren't cheap, the price is up there with the other big name tires. Though I misprinted in my last post. I was reffering to the Toyo T1Rs. The RA1s are a DOT approved R compound tire. Similar to Michelins Pilot Sport Cup, and the Hoosiers you mentioned.

If you're willing to spend the dough, go for the Michelins. I'm glad you don't want to cheap out, as those big rubber Michelins are over 400 bucks if I recall.

On a side note, is your car going to be daily driven, or see rain? If it's not, I'd go right for a set of Pilot Sport Cups or other R compound tire. They'll be your best bet. They just suck when they are cold, and in the rain. Manageble though, and better than DRs even in the rain...
Old 03-27-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

It will be a daily driver, and will see rain, but how often does it rain in Southern California? (I laugh as I type that because it is actually raining today).

I laugh at guys with Vettes or High HP cars that cheap out on tires by getting as cheap tires as possible. I don't get it, why spend the money making the car go fast if you cant stick to the ground correctly.

I'll look into the Toyos a bit more. I'm just wondering if I am wasting my time/money by trying to go taller/wider if its not going to make a bit of difference.

Quick Reply: GSD3 vs Pilot Sport vs Eagle F1 supercar