Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Timer

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Timer

Need some input on a good turbo timer for my STS car. Anyone have any ideas thanks
Old 03-27-2007, 09:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just take it easy on the throttle the last few miles you drive it. Then let it idle for 1 minute before you kill it. Done deal.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i have been doing that, and I am tired of it. So I want an actual timer.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostBandit
yeah i have been doing that, and I am tired of it. So I want an actual timer.
Tired of driving normal the last 2 miles of your trip? Doesn't seem to tough.....but timer away!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

This is the first thread that I've seen about someone wanting/using a trubo timer with an STS kit. The responses should be interesting.

I've heard that you don't need a timer since it's a rear mount syst. and the air passing below the car and the limited heat sources help keep the temps. down. I don't have a timer on my STS and never had any issues out of the syst.

But like "ninetres" stated it's your choice. I've heard good things about GReddy timers and A'Pexi.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OreoLt1
This is the first thread that I've seen about someone wanting/using a trubo timer with an STS kit. The responses should be interesting.
Right on.

You don't even need a timer with a front mount kit, let alone a rear-mount. The way turbos function nowadays gives a turbo timer a pretty moot existance. The only time one would ever be needed is if you were in a road race car and shut it right off (which never happens because road racers take cool down laps).

Now on your app, a turbo timer is about THE BIGGEST waste of money you can possibly splurge on....period. It already is away from the motor, constantly vented by the air rushing under the car, it's far away from the exhaust valves, not getting the 4 digit temps.....

If a front mount car doesn't need it....ask yourself...do YOU really need one with a rear mount? This is rhetorical.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:08 AM
Launching!

if his seals in the turbo are weak, maybe he's getting some smoke when he starts the car after it's been sitting awhile. the timer would allow the pump to run or scavange any leftover oil in the turbo or line that could leak in to the air stream of the turbo. just a guess since we dont know why he wants it, and I didnt want ot bash him like the rest of you all

p.s. this is the coolest smilely ever--
Old 03-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigJls1
if his seals in the turbo are weak, maybe he's getting some smoke when he starts the car after it's been sitting awhile. the timer would allow the pump to run or scavange any leftover oil in the turbo or line that could leak in to the air stream of the turbo. just a guess since we dont know why he wants it, and I didnt want ot bash him like the rest of you all

p.s. this is the coolest smilely ever--
Thanks you for not bashing me, I am just saying I am in and out of my car alot and I was just wanting to let it cool down and shut off why I am taking care of what I need to instead of sitting there letting it cool off or 2 mins. It was just a thought, That it would make my life a lil easier so thanks for the advice.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
Right on.

a turbo timer is about THE BIGGEST waste of money you can possibly splurge on....period. It already is away from the motor, constantly vented by the air rushing under the car, it's far away from the exhaust valves, not getting the 4 digit temps.....

If a front mount car doesn't need it....ask yourself...do YOU really need one with a rear mount? This is rhetorical.

A-MEN..................
Old 03-28-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the above, but they are cheap peices and it can only help cool it more then it would be without it, it will not hurt anything.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

i have a greddy on my other car, got it for free and can't complain i don't know how much they go for but i could be interested in selling mine if you wanted

works well and depending on how hard you drive the car the amount of time it times it self changes which i thought was cool.

but my other 2 turbo cars never had a timer and never had a problem
Old 03-28-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
Right on.

You don't even need a timer with a front mount kit, let alone a rear-mount. The way turbos function nowadays gives a turbo timer a pretty moot existance. The only time one would ever be needed is if you were in a road race car and shut it right off (which never happens because road racers take cool down laps).

Now on your app, a turbo timer is about THE BIGGEST waste of money you can possibly splurge on....period. It already is away from the motor, constantly vented by the air rushing under the car, it's far away from the exhaust valves, not getting the 4 digit temps.....

I would'nt want to go blasting on the street or dyno with high egts in a front mount, and turn the car directly off repeatedly. Depending on how you drive, it is a better idea for some then others.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:36 PM
T is for Towing not Turbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got 12k miles on my front mount, drive it every day usually, most of the time I drive it like it's not even there. Only really let it idle if I've been hammering it. Turbo was apart last week and I was told everything looked BRAND NEW! Just my .02.

Brian