Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why can't i make my LS2 run as it was taken out???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why can't i make my LS2 run as it was taken out???

Hey guy's,

I have a complete '05 6.0L (LQ4) long block that i was planning on fitting in my 69 Camaro Conv. I have only the engine and was going to get an aftermarket electronic management system. Now, i'm being proposed a COMPLETE take out (everything you want, truck is complete and a friends) of an '06 trailblazer SS.

The thing i don't understand is why (or what) can't i just take it out of the blazer and make it run in the Camaro as it was???? Why do i need to flash the computer and rework it? It works now! I mean, its only being switched platform, No?

Basically, i don't understand why if it works now, can i just drop it and start it up.... Does the computer fall in sleep mode or something?

Any help?

Also, is an 06 LS2 a 58X reluctor and is it a good idea to toy with those yet? I don't know if its an AWD yet or 2wD. Can i use the AWD trans and swap out the tail?

I would like a 6 speed but that will have to be upgraded for now. Take out deal is Good.

Thanks!

Lead.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The main thing that needs to be done in the computer is to eliminate the Anti-theft system. If the engine computer doesn't receive the proper signal from the original vehicle, it won't let the engine run.

The '06 Trailblazer SS was a 24x, the '07 is 58x.
Either one is not a problem, I have read where people are making them work just fine.

Not sure what to tell you about the AWD deal. Hopefully someone can chime in with that.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Thanks!!!

If i have the column and the keys i guess it could help...? Also my friend knows how to read the VATS with an ohmmeter, so i guess it can be good up to there.

He said firing up the motor doesn't scare him, but that getting the trans to work fine might be another thing.... Any issues with the trans computer you guy's have seen or been trough??

Ijust gave it a go. I should get it this w-end.

Thanks again. And please feel free to post your ideas/ concerns!

Lead.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The new engines don't work with just a resistor, you can't truck the ECM to run. It picks up the signal from the Body control module, so unless you have the whole column, key, and BCM all wired in (Even then, it still might cause problems), you will still need to reprogram the computer.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lead, John at Speartech is your friend. Ask him these questions, he should know exactly what you need to do: www.speartech.com
Old 04-02-2007, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Don't know much about the TBSS, but if it AWD, then you are either going to have to find another tranny that is for 2wd, or rebuild the one you have and replace the output shaft with a 2wd version.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The original question is why it can't work on your 69 Camaro.. the answer is Yes it can work. But you will have to swap everything that is related to the Engine and PCM (BCM, sensors, etc) in order to make it work without flashing the PCM.
If you don't want to swap some parts from the donner car.. then you will have to flash out the codes for what you are not swapping over. (Gas tank sensor, VAT, EGR, AIR, BCM, CATs, etc)

Bottom line, if you don't swap what is needed, the PCM/BCM will be looking for sensor input in order to start and keep the engine running. To get around all of that.. We flash the codes out of it and the computer just doesn't look for input from the sensors or disregards any codes.

To make it simple for us swapper and not needing Smog or other equipement we don't use, we have the PCM flashed.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Hey Rybar, thanks!

I did that this morning and am waiting on an anwser.

BCzee, thanks! Thats what i needed to hear, i just suppose then that this is relatively simple. (does Speartech flash computers?) I was thinking it was more complicated than that. I do have the whole vehicle so i have access to whatever you want but definetely wont be using everything. 'Guess i'll just get everything in case and see afterwards.

Do i need to have everything figured out before getting my computer flashed (IE; fuel pump model, etc etc) to the last ounce?

Where do HP tuner or LS1-2 edit come in? I was gonna be buying one with the 6.0L but figured i'd save money by getting a kit (TBSS) complete w/ wiring computers and all..........

Opinions6

Lead.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

The best thing is to read some of the other 67-69 Camaro threads and other Swaps to get a idea of what they have been through and what they needed or didn't need. There is a FAQ/Sticky at the top of th forum that deal with someone doing a 69 Camaro..
So using the Search will be your best friends and once you need specific information or need suggests on something, Ask then...
But really trying to get a complete guide or manual of what you need to do here...way to much typing and talking. But it is all here in this forum. !

You will not really need HP-Tuner or LS1-2 Edit unless your going to be tweaking and playing around with your performance. But John at Speartech should be able to flash your PCM to get you up and running and also put a baisc Performance tune for you (as other mail tuners). If you have a local Dyno shop in the area.. you can always work with them. Many vendors and sponser here will also modify your stock harness or you can buy a package deal of modifing the harness and programming the PCM (or sell you a setup out right).

Many will give you help as you go along and have question.. and many have documented there adventures in other web hosting site.. see my sign for my site.

But try and plan your swap in steps or sections (Engine Swap, Fuel system, Cooling, Electrical) and take into account that some of them need to be integraded together and controlled by the PCM.

Keep us posted as you get along with your project.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:20 AM
Teching In

I don't thinkthe problem is in the computer! I think it's those G%d D@*n humongous meats you have out back!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Well John....Its not like you can't do same in your car. We already talked about that, no?!!!!

You know thats why i need the LS2's 400 horses (and then some) to spin those babies!

Looking good so far, thanks.

Lead.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is becoming a "common" swap. There are several sites that show most of the details of the swap, including the oil pan, wiring harness, programming the PCM, etc... The TBSS program includes several functions that you won't need in the Camaro. You'll want to match the engine to the appropriate 2WD transmission that's compatible with the PCM/Engine. If your donor truck is a 2WD, you'll also want to modify the "torque management" functions of the TBSS. Emissions controls may not be required where you live, so you will want to disable these so to avoid codes on the PCM. Try Street and Performance out of Arkansas.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Philntx, good point, Contact S&P and check out there web site which has swaps documented for many cars and trucks. They also have a DVD on Swapping into camaros and Chevelles. both will be of good information.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Thanks guy's!

Lead.