Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 Z06 performance NEW-BIE question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Z06 performance NEW-BIE question

Purchased an 02 Z06- and was really excited to hear that it dont take that much to rock and roll...Lol! I was just wondering what it takes to make it a little bit more uuumph...I figure cam/heads/intake? friends have told me to do a 348 later on down the road-but does that mean it will have to be resleeved>? Thanks for any help you can give me...Anyone with any insight will help over these dumbass internet results... I heard MTI and Speed Inc. will do the job.. TY!!!
Old 04-08-2007, 05:52 AM
Staging Lane

Congrats on your purchase - you will love it!
Now on to modding...
I would suggest starting off with bolt-ons and move on to heads/cam later, if you feel as though you need more power.

Basic Bolt-ons include:
Cold-air intake - VaraRam or Halltech are usually the top choices
High-flow airbridge- some do not use this but it cannot hurt anything
Port & Polish TB
160* T-stat
Longtube Headers w/X-pipe - a "must-have" ; Kooks or LG's are top choices
Catback - some utilize stock catback but aftermarket choices usually make more power and sound better - Borla,Corsa,BBtriflo are usually top choices
Short-Throw Shifter - I use the Hurst Ripper but there are better ones IMO
Tune - another "must-have" IMO, improves power, gas mileage, driveability

The forementioned "basic bolt-on's" are usually good for 380-405RWHP, will get you into the 11's easily at the dragstrip with a decent 60', handle most run-ins you have on the street, and will only complement your future heads/cam, if you go that route. If you stay with the stock heads/cam the LS6 intake will do just fine.

If you move on to heads/cam later on you will have to upgrade your output shafts and I would recommend a DTE transmission/rear-end brace for good measure. There are many heads and cam options out there, just do your research and get a setup that meets your individual needs/wants and also a set up that works well together. The AFR/TFS/ETP heads are usually the top choices. They are pricey but worth it in the end. I would personally get a custom spec cam from Patrick G (a member on this board), Predator-Z (another board member), Ed Curtis at FlowTech Induction or Cammotion. You might also want to consider a cam-only setup. I have seen cam-only Z06's laying down 420-440RWHP with the right cam, Talk to the forementioned custom cam guys about one of these or give LGMotorsports a call for one of their LG5X series cams. You could also go with proven off-the-shelf H/C setups from MTI, TSP, HPE, LGM, Thunder, Vengeance, VetteDoctors, or any one of our other site sponsors. Also when you do H/C it would be wise to step up to the FAST-90mm intake and a 90mm TB and don't forget the little things like injectors, pushrods, timing chain etc...

BTW you do not have to resleeve the block for a 347/348/383. You heard right, MTI knows there stuff. I highly recommend them for any performace related questions that you may have. They did all of my bolt-on's and they knocked down a killer tune for my Z06, you will not be disappointed. Check my sig for my bolt-ons and results. Hope I helped some...

Last edited by JustLucky; 04-09-2007 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

If it were my 2002 C5 Z06 I"d throw on a set of American Racing Brand headers and an air filter...and a pcm tune.

You should be around 370-385 rear wheel hp and desd stock reliability.

No valve spring changes no...nothing...

The 2002 was a new radical design stock cam for GM and if I had bought a 2002 Z I would left that cam in there. Just done American brand racing headers (vette doctors) and called it a day..

The other basic bolt ons? TB or whatever else I wouldn/t bother doing again (20/20 hindsight) except I probably would have bought the c6 Z06 shifter from Gene over at corvette forum for 180 bucks...It comes with the shift **** of the c6 too..

Its a nice production piece that has a shorter throw than the stock C5 Z and is not as rattley as the aftermarket shifters..

I have the hurst and if I weren't so thrilled with the short throws ...I'd swap in a c6 Z06 shifter ...

That would be my suggestion.

HTH
Old 04-08-2007, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Twin turbos should put a little bit more 'uuumph' on it

if your looking for 500~rwhp then head/cam, headers (basically boltons) should treat you right
Old 04-08-2007, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Air box, Kooks LT headers, Random Tech high flow cats, Borla exhaust, and a tune and I was running 7.5's in the 1/8th. (1.64 60') = 385rwhp

Or you could just add a 150 wet or 100 dry shot.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

A set of headers, and Fast intake. Then bolt up a Procharger or a set of TT's and be done with it. Still get great gas mileage and drivability. Then you can just hit it and smoke mostly anything. Although I am more of a cam guy, but you will lose gas mileage for sure.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

From my experience, you'll have the best performance with a set of Kooks or American Racing 1 7/8 headers with an off-road x, and depending on what sound level you want, a Borla, Corsa, or Magnaflow catback. They'll all perform about the same, the Magnaflow is my favorite because it's the quietest.

Callaway makes the best cold air intake, and it does do a bunch for ya. So I'd get that.

ASP Underdrive pulley

160* thermostat

NGK TR6 spark plugs

MSD wires

Porting the TB is worth 5-10 rwhp.

Then the rest depends on how serious you want to get. But those are the first bolt ons you should get out of the way. And get a nice dyno tune.

Give us a call if you need any help.

Chuck @ HPE
281-448-1300
Old 04-08-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

start with a raptor cai, american racing headers, off road x pipe, and borla stingers

I have a lot of brand new stuff that would really wake your car up that I might be willing to sell soon... pm me for details
Old 04-08-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Save the $2500 for headers, exhaust and intake. Save the $4k for heads/cam etc...and just get the STS or APS turbo kit. It will run you a little more for ALOT more fun and power.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

After careful research I ended up with this:
(Keep in mind I do not want to take the orig. potential of the LS6 away)

AFR 205 MONGOOSE HEADS
FAST 90MM INTAKE
NICK WILLIAMS 90MM TB
CUSTOM COMP CAM GRIND
160 THERMOSTAT
KOOKS LT STAINLESS HEADERS & Y-PIPE
DTE BRACE
C6 Z06 CHROME WHEELS

...I just cant decide the exhaust, i heard so many-i just dont want the drone and pops---but i dont mind the loud.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MyWs62FaST4u
...I just cant decide the exhaust
coughCORSAcough
Old 04-13-2007, 06:13 AM
Teching In

confused yet? lol
Old 04-13-2007, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MyWs62FaST4u
After careful research I ended up with this:
(Keep in mind I do not want to take the orig. potential of the LS6 away)

AFR 205 MONGOOSE HEADS
FAST 90MM INTAKE
NICK WILLIAMS 90MM TB
CUSTOM COMP CAM GRIND
160 THERMOSTAT
KOOKS LT STAINLESS HEADERS & Y-PIPE
DTE BRACE
C6 Z06 CHROME WHEELS

...I just cant decide the exhaust, i heard so many-i just dont want the drone and pops---but i dont mind the loud.
Save the money and go with a LS2 TB over the Nick williams. I would also not worry about getting the 160 thermostat. The LS engines run better and have more thermal efficients for the burning of fuel with the stock thermostat. When you get the car dynotunes just have them reprogram the fan on and off temperatures and you will be happy. If you do not want to install the exhaust the stock TI z06 stuff is good even at 450 rwhp. I had my car tested with the bullets and TI mufflers and showed no difference power wise between the two at a H/C performance level.

For some exhaust sounds try this video here for some different setups and mufflers. http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...fc00efa0ab.htm
Old 04-15-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just put one of these in there!

Old 04-16-2007, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

corsa exhaust is the best i think and i had a ms3 and jet hot L.T, on my 02 zo6 and it made 420rw and thin i put a N.X kit on the car and made 590rw give new era a call thay are in N.Y and thay have every thing you need!!