Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rx7 cluster set up w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rx7 cluster set up w/pics

i was going to do the racepak but did not want to worry about something failing and then not being able to drive it. if a gauge goes bad i can replace it within 1 day. cost wasnt an issue, as i have just about the same amount into this set up. my coolant temp and oil press. gauges will be done next week and placed into where the center vents were. i hid the shift light behind the tinted plexiglass. i used clear plexiglass and masked off the area for the shift light and gave the rest two coats and the shift light only 1 light dusting of paint. i also got a set of stance coilovers put on the car.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good man! I like the hidden shiftlight idea. Couple questions as I am re-doing my swap car's dash right now as well. How well does the shift light come through the tinted plexi? Enough to grab your attention in daylight? And how exactly did you tint the plexi??? Did you use nite-shades or a similar spray on tint? Ive been trying to find some of that stuff, but all the local stores stopped selling it. It has to be ordered. So I think Im going to try 5% window tint on my plexi. On the outside to keep it clean looking. Most of mine is getting covered with a laminate, but I have things hidden behind that need to shine through like your shift light.

Ide like to see a picture with the shift light fired up if you can get one.

Justin
Old 04-11-2007, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

nice
what kinda guages are they ?
Old 04-11-2007, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

oh and pics of the engine bay / spec / which mount kit u use ?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

i used regular clear plexiglass. i masked the shift light area and then gave rest the back side of the plexi two coats of flat black paint. 99 cents at walmart. let that dry and remove the tape or in my case i used the empty barrel of the shift light and then hold the can about 12 inches away from the plexi and proceed to give the plexi a real light mist of paint. do one mist coat and let dry and then see how transparent it is. then you can repeat as neccesary. its important you mist the paint on cause if you dont it wont be transparent. it doesnt matter if you use flat or gloss paint since you are painting the backside of the plexi, the front side of the plexi shines real purdy cause the plexi makes it shine. its hard to explain but just do it. i hid the shift light cause i dont want to attract too much attenion, seeing that alot of the ricers have ginourmous tachs and shift light to match. the gauges are vdo, the shift light is summit brand programmable. vod is the only company that made a matching 4 inch tach and 3 3/8 programmable speedo. if you remove the shift light and hold it up you can see a circular hole where the shift light goes. im going to install the cluster tonight so ill try to get pics tonight with it activating.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah that technique for painting the plexi is what i did orginally on my TA cluster. It does make a great looking finish.

That little square in the upper right is my check engine light. Im going to use window tint to conceal that better, and the front is going to be textured laminate instead of gloss. Just trying somethign different tho... Same principle as your shift light idea...

J.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kosmo38
....the gauges are vdo, the shift light is summit brand programmable. vod is the only company that made a matching 4 inch tach and 3 3/8 programmable speedo. if you remove the shift light and hold it up you can see a circular hole where the shift light goes. im going to install the cluster tonight so ill try to get pics tonight with it activating.
Any pics of the gauge set lit up and functioning yet? I like both the gauges (assume they are the VDO Vision series?) or and mount approach used! I am leaning towards the VDO Vision 4" tach and 4" elec speedo in my conversion also.

Would be great to see some of the activated pics.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

i like the cluster but im not the biggest fan of the gauges though.

nice work none the less.

Quick Reply: rx7 cluster set up w/pics