Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Belt Alignment On A D!sc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Belt Alignment On A D!sc.

Gots me a d1sc. Installed and took it on the first test drive. Stomped on it twice and the D1sc belt hoped foward one rib on my 8 rib belt. It was sitting on the crank pulley outter lip. How the hell do i it alighed right? any tips besides eating 40 doller belts up.

give me the process to alighen a procharger belt.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get it completely alinged and make sure that the tensior is exactly straight and then tighten it like hell... If it's not on right it will throw them.. Do you have your crank pinned??
Old 04-11-2007, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no i dont have the crank pinned. but im got a 4.5 inch pulley on the sc. ill only be running about7-8 psi. what tensior r you talking about? i have the sdce one and the little plastic one on the j bracket. the sdce one seems to dip a little but i need a good way to tell if they are all straight. i was thinking about using a little laser and tape it to the crank pulley in the ribs. maybe that would work?

im lost.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It seems like all of the procharger kits never really line up, This is what I did with my 12 rib set up. Put the pulleys on and used a torque wrench on the crank to keep run out to a mininum. took a straight edge and squared it on the supercharger pulley then measured the gap on the crank pulley, added that difference to the existing spacer and had a machine shop build me a billet spacer. Never threw a belt again.. and the 12 rib were $90.00 a pop !
Old 04-11-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
It seems like all of the procharger kits never really line up, This is what I did with my 12 rib set up. Put the pulleys on and used a torque wrench on the crank to keep run out to a mininum. took a straight edge and squared it on the supercharger pulley then measured the gap on the crank pulley, added that difference to the existing spacer and had a machine shop build me a billet spacer. Never threw a belt again.. and the 12 rib were $90.00 a pop !
The ProCharger kits do in fact line up. He has aftermarket parts. The Gates laser alignment tool is a part # 91004. Maybe a parts store has one you can rent. The supercharger pulley also has a slight offset that may not be obvious. There should also be a .100" shim behind the blower pulley if you purchased an 8 rib kit from ProCharger, a 6 rib kit would have a .075" pulley shim.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigBenz
no i dont have the crank pinned. but im got a 4.5 inch pulley on the sc. ill only be running about7-8 psi.

You should really pin your crank, even if your just running that little of boost.
I have had customers spin them making less boost. And thats the last thing you want to deal with.

EA
Old 04-11-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

how much can you shimm the SC pulley? the belt is also hitting the bracket ill need to shimm it about 1/4 " maybe a little less. can i do that?
Old 04-11-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

how much can you shimm the SC pulley? the belt is also hitting the bracket ill need to shimm it about 1/4 " maybe a little less. can i do that?
You should probably check into why you have to shim it so far. Do you not have a shim behind the pulley now?

Have you possibly converted a 6 rib kit to an 8 rib without the proper standoffs?

Last edited by andereck; 04-11-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:11 PM
FormerVendor

We Never have alignment issues here,it can be confusing with the different stands that ATI sends but it is real easy to visually tell if you have installed a wrong stand. The bracket will look to be at a slight angle compared to the face of the balancer.The bracket should also sit flush on all three stands whithout any retaining bolts if you have a short stand on this when we will catch it

hope this helps call us if you need more help
260-244-4808
Old 04-11-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you have the wrong stands on your blower, there should be no clearance issues. Im running 15 psi with 700 rwhp on the stock tensioner assembly and im not jumping the belt. you also ABSOLUTELY have to pin the crank, you will tear the snout of the crankshaft up almost immediately. also when you install your balancer all the way onto the crankshaft you can take a measurement from the face of the crank snout to the first step on the balancer and it should be .253 in. use the backside of some dial calipers or a depth mic.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its a used kit i got. it has the soild steel J bracket from sdce and the tenisior pulley. The spacer on the mounts are the same length. Ill have to shimm out the SC because the guy i got it from had everything lined up using a 12 lb pulley. When i put my 8 lb pulley (4'') it wouldnt clear the J bracket. ( its thick) Its about 1/8 of a inch off. I shimmed it 1/16 of a inch (not enuff) ill get a 1/8 thick shimm to pull it out then ill have to line up the 2 other pulleys on the bracket with the SC pulley. then line the bracket up with the crank pulley. Im not using to many shimms i just think i got excited installing the damn thing and didnt check the alignment( not a smart man) can anyone post pics of there J bracket mounted?

any more tip would be nice im going to invest in the gates laser alignment tool to get this **** right the second time.its not a 1/4" shimm i was off i had it shimmed with a 1/16" washer i just need one twice as thick. 1/8 would be more then enuff.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lmt0705
you have the wrong stands on your blower, there should be no clearance issues. Im running 15 psi with 700 rwhp on the stock tensioner assembly and im not jumping the belt. you also ABSOLUTELY have to pin the crank, you will tear the snout of the crankshaft up almost immediately. also when you install your balancer all the way onto the crankshaft you can take a measurement from the face of the crank snout to the first step on the balancer and it should be .253 in. use the backside of some dial calipers or a depth mic.
I have the ATI super dampner. I would need to have it pinned? Whats the process to having the crank pinned? can i do it my self ? is it hard? ****
Old 04-12-2007, 04:59 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

I have the ATI super dampner. I would need to have it pinned? Whats the process to having the crank pinned? can i do it my self ? is it hard? ****
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=458
I keep these in stock. Bob
Old 04-13-2007, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by andereck
The ProCharger kits do in fact line up. He has aftermarket parts. The Gates laser alignment tool is a part # 91004. Maybe a parts store has one you can rent. The supercharger pulley also has a slight offset that may not be obvious. There should also be a .100" shim behind the blower pulley if you purchased an 8 rib kit from ProCharger, a 6 rib kit would have a .075" pulley shim.
Not my experience at all...I have stock parts and had to make my own spacers on the pulley bracket to get my belt lined up.
I love my ATI D1SC kit, but getting it lined up and the belt tightened enough was not what I enjoyed at all. I do enjoy my power now though
Old 04-14-2007, 05:41 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Exclamation

Originally Posted by BawlsZ28
Not my experience at all...I have stock parts and had to make my own spacers on the pulley bracket to get my belt lined up.
I love my ATI D1SC kit, but getting it lined up and the belt tightened enough was not what I enjoyed at all. I do enjoy my power now though
I'm glad we've never had to do that. Something must of been drastically wrong on your combination. Bob
Old 04-14-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have the sdce stuff and a alignment issue you need to run stock spacers on the blower pulley like andereck said. And space it with the spacers provided with the sdce kit, or contact them for more. The ones that go on the standoffs with the sdce kit. That will give you the needed movement they will give you an assortment if you dont already have them. You can fab a tool that sits on your crank pulley ribs at a 90 degree angle straight to your blower pulley to a sharp point. So it sits flat at a 90 across the ribs on the crank pulley at a 90 with a square over to a sharp point, that right up to the rib on the blower pulley. So if you hold it up there with a bright light you can see if its off when you look at the point if you hold the 90 degree part flat to the crank and align the point on the 90 to the same rib you are aligning to. So both points on the long flat end should align to the same rib.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright i think i got it. My blower pulley was the problem. I got a big *** 4inch set up for a stock bottem end. I bought the kit used. The kit was alinged for a 3 inch pulley. For some reason the 4 inch pulley was about 1/8 of a inch thicker. I took the bracket off and aligned the three pulleys on the bracket to 1/32 of a inch. Then i made sure all my mounts were the same distance out i took a meauserment off the stock belt. IT looks so much better then it did b4. ill change my motor mounts and take it fr a test drive we will see how it worked out.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also i messed up the little metal retainer on the stock idel pulley you use as a mount. I had to get a new one. I had it sticking out about 1/4 of a inch too far because i used a weak washer on my spacer and it bent it all up.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do i have to remove my pulley to pinn the crank. i have the ati super damp with 10%underdrive. please tell me i dont have to remove it
Old 04-14-2007, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

Get yourself a laser alignment kit so you can check all of your pulleys and their alignment. It's one of the best investments I've ever made. Just trying to help..................

Quick Reply: Belt Alignment On A D!sc.