Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in 1985 Trans Am.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in 1985 Trans Am.

Hey just what the tilte says, anyone done it? My mom bought a 1985 Trans Am new when she graduated High school, unfortunatly for her but Lucky for me She had to sell it like a year and a half later cause I came along! I got a 1985 TA Just like she had same color and everything at a Auction yesterday and i got it so cheap im gonna scrap that shitty tpi or whatever it is, and give it a LS1 so she can atually drive around and it have some *** behind it and be reliable. I guess im somehow making up for all the Dirty Diapers and hell I put her threw!!! Maybe ill get some good Karma out of it?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This swap has been done a crap load of times. You can find more than enough threads about it just by looking around and searching. In fact, Ide be willing to bet that the thirdgen f-body is probably the most common LS1 swap right now. Atleast one of the most. Mostly beacuse its almost a bolt in job. Heck, just search under my name and you will find a ton of info on the swap.

Do some lookin around on here, and on thirdgen.org. If you still have some specific questions after you do some homework, you will get all the help you need on here and over on thirdgen.org. They actually have a section just for LSx and LTx swaps.

Also, if you got an 85 TA, it wont be TPI. Maybe TBI... The TPI isnt "shitty". Its actually a good set up. But the LS1 is better. And you will definetly have a car that hauls some *** if you swap even a stock LS1 into the car. I loved my TPI motor in my 87...but I dont miss it

Post back up if you dont get all the answers you need by searchin. Good luck!

Justin
Old 04-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

well im not bashing the TPI Engine Just the one in the car, *used and abused* Thanks for the input Ill search around in the Forums for some more info, And when i Find a engine and start putting it im sure ill bug you guys to death with some more questions.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Actually the TPI was available for the first time on a f-body in 85. But it's a bastard year and has its quirks.

Kevin D.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha I stand corrected Kevin. I forgot the TPI came out in 85. Not sure why but I was thinking 87...but thats for the GTA. Ive been out of the TPI loop for so long, and have been taking in the LS1 info. I guess the LS1 info is pushing the TPI info out Only room for so much between the ears. haha.

Either way...you are on the right track. Do lots of searching, bookmark/print everything you find and start a binder. Thats what I did. I promise you that you can literally find everything you need between the two boards and searching google. But like I said, if you get your motor and everything and hit snags of have specific questions, fire away and Im sure you will get answers.

Justin
Old 04-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As Justin said it is an easy swap, virtually all bolt in, with only exhaust fabrication being the biggest "custom" piece. The rest is bolting in/ mail order. It's great that we can benefit like this from the folks at GM who decided to make 4th gen cars very similiar to the third gen cars using many of the same components for cost savings.

If you can- get a complete "donor" car, or do what you can to access one (get in good with an f-body junkyard owner, etc) It'll make your life easier not trying to hunt down the little parts that can add up if you don't have them. Plus, with the donor car you can see how it was installed when you remove it and it makes reassembly onto your car that much easier.

Good luck.

My other advice is if you're in CA, it's a bitch to try and get it smogged/ certified legally, no matter how well you think you have it set up.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Im In Bama Guys! I drive my 99 Z28 to movies on every now and then with straight Headers and Flip the smog police off on the way there!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

YUP... THe swap is cake. Your going to love the LS1 into your thirdgen. I love it and it can move. I MEAN MOVE!! LOL... Do your search mostly at thirdgen.org and when your almost done with your swap, come here to finalize your swap. Good luck and God Bless!!

Joey J.

Quick Reply: LS1 in 1985 Trans Am.