Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need little help with tint removal and take a look at before and after the tint pix!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need little help with tint removal and take a look at before and after the tint pix!

Got pulled over twice in the last week for tint. Cops are really cracking down on everyone with tinted windows and having 15% all around and 35% on the windshield on a black car with black interior atracts them even more!

So I removed the tint today. Did it myself. Wasn't hard at all, but there is lots of glue stuff left on the windows.

What's the best thing to remove it with?

After removing tint:

With tint:

Last edited by OdessitPashka; 04-11-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what do i think? you got a formy hawk thats what i think, nice choice but it def looked better with the tint, but it looks real good either way

when i removed the tint from my old truck, i too had all the goo left over. so i mixed some dawn with water and put it in a spray bottle then sprayed it on the windows generously and lightly went at the goo with a fresh razor blade...worked great and got everything off. might want to put a towel on the panels near where u spray

they also have "tint off" at walmart or autozone but i would assume its just some type of lubricant which will serve the same purpose of soapy water

when they spray windows before applying tint, it is just a mixture of soap and water to be able to move the tint around, when the water dries, the tint is suck there....i figured if soapy water is good enough to use when u put on the tint, its good enough to use to take it off
Old 04-11-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some good window cleaner w/ amonia works well, make sure to use a new razorblade. I liked it better "before"...tickets stink though.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

the best thing I have found, is mix simple green 50/50 with water, put the car in the sun, SOAK the window with the solution, and place a black trash bag against it. This will "lock" the moisture in and not let it evaporate. Let it set like this for 15 minutes in the sun, then use fine steel wool and it will come right off. Worked great for me, and very easy.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

acetone works great
Old 04-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for the soapy water. For anyone that reads this that is thinking about taking off the tint what I did was to wet the window tint with soap and water. Then cover the mixture with a black garbage bag and let her sit in the sun for 30 min or so. Pull the tint off slowly to get as much glue to come with it as possible. Soap and water what is left and start scrappin.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the help and the compliments
Old 04-12-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

mix wd40,lighter fluid,windex,and rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle.......it sound like a nasty mix but it worked great for me......oh and get a razor blade to scrape it off!

EDIT::::: dont get this on ur seats/paint/ or door cover inside
Old 04-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Soapy water with ammonia mixed in and a fresh razor blade. Soak the window and scrape away.

A better way of doing it would have been to cut out a trashbag in the shape if the window. Spray the water/ammonia mix and apply the bag to the interior of the window. Let it sit in the sun for about 20-30 minutes and the tint peels off leaving little to no glue on the window.
I've used that method many times and it works. You just need a sunny day or a heat gun from the outside.

Your car looked damn good like it was.
I just got my windshield tinted in 35% and I love it. 15% on the sides...

Old 04-12-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn that sucks dude! I was just about to get some tint on both my cars really soon for summer. I guess yours was just too dark right?

Quick Reply: Need little help with tint removal and take a look at before and after the tint pix!