LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is an electric water pump worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is an electric water pump worth it?

I pulled my water pump tonight because it was leaking.I was wondering if I should upgrade to an electric pump or should I just get a stock replacement.$160 dollars doesn't really sound that bad.How much does a stock pump cost?
Old 04-14-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

A stock pump runs about $190 I would say its worth it but is this car your daily driver if so then not really.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A remanufactured stock pump is maybe $50 and IMO is the weay to go.

It is pretty foolish to believe a "new" stock pump is better than a reman. I mean you honestly think GM is going to bother still making pumps for an engine that has been out of production a DECADE? Whick means you are buying something that has been sitting on a shelf forever which explains why a lot of guys have them leak immediately upon installation.

Electrics can provide a little dyno and strip gain BUT do so by moving LESS water. MOST of what you will find people using as supporting reasons are a pile of bull. I am not saying they are bad. They do the job just that there is a lot of missinformation about them.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

I like my CSR Electric pump. But I do believe you have to have the intake, timing cover and timing gears off to get the water pump drive out of the block. I think for a daily driver I would stick with the stock unit, but mine aint that
Old 04-15-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure of the flow rates of a stock pump, but it does vary with engine speed, whereas the electric pumps are at a constant flow rate. The meziere pump comes in two flow ratings, with the higher flow rate costing more $$ (of course).
Old 04-15-2007, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

The electric flow ratings are unrestricted and therefore more than a little missleading.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Not sure of the flow rates of a stock pump, but it does vary with engine speed, whereas the electric pumps are at a constant flow rate. The meziere pump comes in two flow ratings, with the higher flow rate costing more $$ (of course).
I'm running the MEZ 118-HD, according to Meziere my pump flows 50GPM and has a 2500+ hour life expectancy, so I've have no reservations running it in my car. I've never experience overheating issues in traffic or on looooong high speed highway runs. (Triple digit runs out in the sticks of Montana, Colorado, South Dakota etc.)

2500 hours is a loooong time. I used quality components when I installed my pump and I expect that it will be trouble free for another 3 years when I'm plan to replace it.

I know that some people don't trust electric water pumps; I remember the same type of naysaying when mechanical cooling fans were being replaced by electrics. I wonder if the same naysaying went on when electric fuel pumps replaced the mechanical ones.

As for worth it, if you want another 5-10 hp it's a good bang for the buck mod. If you are on a tight budget and the car is stock use a rebuilt mechanical pump. People spend more money on speed parts that end up providing less of a gain.
Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 04-15-2007 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

the one advantage that can't be argued is that it gets the water pump away from the opti, so you don't have to worry about replacing that too when it leaks.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

The reason I went with an electric was I found a housing already setup with it on Ebay for a good price. If it goes bad, I might go back to a reman stock pump since I have another housing I could use for a core. Unless I could get just get my electric rebuilt without removing the housing from the block (which looks like a good possibility).
Old 04-15-2007, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
the one advantage that can't be argued is that it gets the water pump away from the opti, so you don't have to worry about replacing that too when it leaks.
How do you figure it gets the WP away from the opti? It bolts into the stock housing.

Far as the reliability, I know they last a good bit of time and I know mechanical or electric they will eventually fail. The reason I like the mechanical is the slow weeping failure that give you notice and always continues to pump water unlike the sudden total failure of the electric. That combined with the relatively good availability of mechanicals is why I recommend them on the street.

The wet opti concerns are GROSSLY overblown. The opti is a distributor as such if it gets wet inside it will act up, once it dries they also start working again. I wonder how many fools have bought new optis just because theirs was wet and acting up and the internet told them how bad it was.

I used to be into offroad trucks and have drowned out HEI distributors that were 4 feet off the ground, give them some time to dry or open them and dry them and go on your way.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can leave the waterpump gear in the motor...all you ahve tyo do is remove the old one...knock out the pump inside it...then bolt on the csr, put a freeze plug in the back where the gear usd to run it was...then bolt it up and wire it...id say it is the best mod ever done to a lt1...
when you drain coolant you dont ahve to risk overheating it while refilling with water...just turn the key on and it will pump the water out....kinda eliminates the problems with lt1's(air stuck in the motor) and the one that i dont understand (water on the opti)
Old 04-15-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

The wet opti concerns are GROSSLY overblown. The opti is a distributor as such if it gets wet inside it will act up, once it dries they also start working again. I wonder how many fools have bought new optis just because theirs was wet and acting up and the internet told them how bad it was.
I agree the OPTI is not a bad distributor and is waaaay more durable than people give it credit for. I believe that the vented opti is did away with the non-vented vices and is at least as reliable as any previous GM distributor.

Mike
Old 04-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Hey guys where are you guys finding rebuilt water pumps and what do you guys think about the high flow mechanical pumps?
Old 04-15-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Stick with stock. You can get rebuilt ones at the local parts stores. They'll take your core and give you a rebuilt pump. They're as good as anything. When my car was 6 spd, with stock water pump and stock radiator, 160 stat, my car rarely got above 170 on the gauge.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Electric is the way to go, it takes some load off the motor and yes will provide at the least 5 hp. The electric will flow better and can run constantly. Id go this route.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike96z
Electric is the way to go, it takes some load off the motor and yes will provide at the least 5 hp. The electric will flow better and can run constantly. Id go this route.

How simple are you people, open the garage door when you run the car .

Do you understand the alternator is driven by the engine? The electrics free up power by moving LESS water than the mechanical does at higher rpms, I have beaten this to death but there are a lot of stupid people out there to try to educate.

axeman there is no high flow mechanical though I have seen stockers advertized as such.

Last pump I bought was a Cardone Reman from Advanced Auto online store for $42.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Teching In

The pump that I am talking about is at summitracing the part # is NAL-12527741. It is a GM performance part and it cost $195.95 as opposed to the oem which is $135.95. In the description it states that it is a high volume pump. Thanks for posting replies I don't post on this site much.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by axeman
The pump that I am talking about is at summitracing the part # is NAL-12527741. It is a GM performance part and it cost $195.95 as opposed to the oem which is $135.95. In the description it states that it is a high volume pump. Thanks for posting replies I don't post on this site much.
Compare that PN to a new stock one from GM Parts sources.
You are buying into marketting BS.
Serving up a steaming pile of bull is the prefered sales tactic over tuely good products and most people are not able to sort out the two which is why there is crap like Hypertech and Granatelli.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Teching In

I'm not picking sides in the debate, but here is an insteresting site that show a little how to, and a before and after dyno run. Don't shoot the messenger, I know dyno number are not everything. But, none the less, at least this a way to measure before and after. BTW, one of the biggest reasons I run a E-pump is for timing set options.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Teching In

That site would be

http://www.projecttransam.com/projects9.asp

Quick Reply: Is an electric water pump worth it?