Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Going from F-body to C6....come inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Going from F-body to C6....come inside

Well, pretty much thinking about getting a C6 for a while now. I put a poll up in the another section earlier in the year. Its just been an itch that keeps growing everyday. I catch my self starring at them when passing by. Just want to get your thoughts for those who have done this or have both. Trying to finish hitting my numbers with my 408, before I even think about selling it. Just might be my clutch holding me back. Anyway, blew my engine and at the time didnt plan on getting C6, so what I already put in it is somewhat unreturnable, you all know how the game goes. Well the catch will be me having to wait a long while for it or sell my SS to get the C6. I think I eventually will crack, but still want to get your thoughts whether it be performance, finances, gratification, regrets, etc. All opinions welcome.

Also, I could keep my car a pickup a used CTS-V or GTO, but the C6 is just much more appealing. Also, C5's dont really do it for me.

Advantage SS:
1. Paid For
2. Up there in the modding stages
3. Setup ready for hefty shot of nitrous
4. Love my SS

Disadvantage
1. Could still use about $10,000 in upgrades
2. Doesnt see the track
3. Rougher ride/not luxurious(I guess thats personal preference)
4. Its still no C6

Advantage C6
1.Looks sweet
2.Has lots of potential
3."Trim" Factor(sorry had to through that in there, cousin always makes a point of it)
4.Well its a C6

Disavantage C6
1.Car Payment
2.Insurance Payment(well Im now 25 years old)
3.Cost of modding again(nothing major)
4. Its still no Z06
Old 04-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Get the C6 and you will love it. Get the Z51 though. Better yet, if you could swing it, get the C6 Z it's a monster of a car. I have modded all my C6's so far and have been very happy with the results.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

Granted it's not a C6 but going from a Fbody to my C5 didn't make my insurance go up.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by M3Corvette
Get the C6 and you will love it. Get the Z51 though. Better yet, if you could swing it, get the C6 Z it's a monster of a car. I have modded all my C6's so far and have been very happy with the results.
Well Im too cheap to buy a Z, jk. Thats much to out there for my pocketbook. So its not an option for the time being. Did think about saving for a good 2 years, but I dont think its going to happen. Im back in school again, so one day hopefully I will be shopping for cars in that price range.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:24 AM
10 Second Club

I love both my Z28 and my C6, yes the C6 is the better car without a doubt but it also cost literally twice what my F-body cost (albeit it is a newer car too) so that has to be factored in as well.
If I had had to decide between the two I'm not sure that I could, I never had any intention/plans of giving up my Z28 before getting the Corvette.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Teching In

I just picked up an 07 C6 in addition to my SS. I'm still breaking in the C6, so I haven't really gotten on it, however my general impression so far is that the C6 has a better ride and feels much more balanced. The SS always feels like you are pushing it through corners whereas the C6 attacks them. If I could only have one, I would take the C6 and the car payment over the paid for SS.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both, and the C6 is night and day different & better. If you have to choose one, I'd go C6.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's people who talk, and people who DO!, your never gonna get the C6, so please stop talking about it.....

I hope that pisses you off enough to go out tonight and get the vette
Old 04-25-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Actually my ins would be cheaper w/C5 than on my TA; never understood it.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my insurance has gone down progressively.... it was the most with my z28, went down with my c5 and has now gone down about 3 bucks a month with the c6 quote that I have. I think that a big part of it is that the vette tends to be a car that only more mature responsible people can afford.... hence less tickets, and better insurance stats. I am only 21 and all of these cars have been in the last 2 years.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I added my Z to my Vovlo SUV insurance and it was only $300 more for a 6 month term. And Im 22.... Cheap.... There are many ways to to make your policy cheaper just on how you answer there questions during the Quote process..... I
Old 04-25-2007, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

keep the z and get the c6 sure the payment will be more but youll have best of both so if ur single go 4 it u only live once!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

That's what I am doing. Keeping the TA, buying a Z06 and then deciding which one to keep. That way, if I the vette doesn't work out, I will still have my TA. May have to keep wife in drug induced coma until it all shakes out and there is only one vehicle left in garage. Or even better, may keep all three - both cars and drug induced coma wife! I see many advantages to all three.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WADDISME
That's what I am doing. Keeping the TA, buying a Z06 and then deciding which one to keep. That way, if I the vette doesn't work out, I will still have my TA. May have to keep wife in drug induced coma until it all shakes out and there is only one vehicle left in garage. Or even better, may keep all three - both cars and drug induced coma wife! I see many advantages to all three.

Dude, that's freakin funny!!! Maybe I ought to try that approach too!
Old 04-26-2007, 08:26 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Insurance is cheaper on a Corvette than an f-body. Lower risk vehicle, less of them are wrecked or stolen.

C6 is a much nicer car inside/out than an F-body, but I wouldn't say they are much more fun to drive. The f-body is like a street brawler musclecar, the Corvette is a sports car. Both are fun to me. The payments on an f-body are much more fun to pay though!

But, being 25 that "trim-factor" is very important and the Vette will definitely scoop more road ****** than any f-body will (unless you have a convertible)
Old 04-27-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Assassin
there's people who talk, and people who DO!, your never gonna get the C6, so please stop talking about it.....

I hope that pisses you off enough to go out tonight and get the vette
Thanks alot you sorry....

I know sooner or later its going to happen. I think Im just trying to make the transition easier on myself.

Originally Posted by tigertank
keep the z and get the c6 sure the payment will be more but youll have best of both so if ur single go 4 it u only live once!!!!!!!!!!!
Would like to, but my fininacial situation would disagree. I work fulltime and Im a fulltime student. If not I would, and go back to being a greedy OT hogging bastard to support the toy fund.

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Insurance is cheaper on a Corvette than an f-body. Lower risk vehicle, less of them are wrecked or stolen.

C6 is a much nicer car inside/out than an F-body, but I wouldn't say they are much more fun to drive. The f-body is like a street brawler musclecar, the Corvette is a sports car. Both are fun to me. The payments on an f-body are much more fun to pay though!

But, being 25 that "trim-factor" is very important and the Vette will definitely scoop more road ****** than any f-body will (unless you have a convertible)
Yes, actually priced it and its cheaper than my SS. Im not a big on convertibles though. I guess, Im getting older and just want to look and be fast, but go slow. Im actually wondering when I will jump onto crusier bikes. Co-worker took his HD Nighttrain to work, and now I wouldnt mind owning one over my sportbike. Just chill and enjoy the ride is a new motto Im adopting.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

You're also only paying for 2 occupants medical coverage in a C5/C6 versus F-body's 4 people
Old 04-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Disavantage C6
1.Car Payment
You could save the money first... its not that bad as far as cars go, Look at the resale value it is in the top ten for holding its value! and if you buy one right new 07 1lt's can be bought for 39.9 Somone here just bought a used 05 for 35k and he thought he got a great deal???

2.Insurance Payment(well Im now 25 years old)
Ck it should not be that bad may say it goes down from Fbody-Vett

3.Cost of modding again(nothing major)
VR 375 Kooks 1300 Tune 325 = 2k for 380-395RWHP and if you get a 1lt its only ~3100lbs

4. Its still no Z06
VR Kooks Cam and tune and its a fast sleeper and will beat some Z's
with gears and tire you should be faster than most Z's

MY C6 6 speed auto 1lt with VR and Kooks went 12.4 at 115 friends C6Z06 went 12.4 at 120 it takes a great driver with the Z (this is at 3500' DA).

Fastest bone stock C6 went 12.2 at sea level and it is also an 6 speed auto.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I quess that LS3 is going to make it that much easier on me.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Putting my car up for sale this week. .........

Quick Reply: Going from F-body to C6....come inside