Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sportlines + Long Tubes = No More Speed Bumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sportlines + Long Tubes = No More Speed Bumps

I just installed pacesetter Long tubes on my car which is lowered wiht sportlines... All I can say is that I thought the car was gonna bottom out on a hammer that was underneath the car when i was lowering it down off the jack stands...

Like seriously... I cant even roll a can of soda underneath the passenger side header collecter...

But hey the sportlines look sooooo god I would definitly recommend them for someone who doesnt have LT's
Old 04-16-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have sportlines with LT's and I feel your pain man. I bottomed out over railroad tracks going as slow as I could over them without stalling the car! But, like you said they look unbelievable so I'm just going to avoid r.r. tracks and speedbumps and hopefully it won't be too bad!
Old 04-16-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They ride a lot better than I thought they were going to too. I started reading on here after I bought them and was scared to death because everyone said how terrible they are and how they ride on the bumpstops etc. I installed them anyway and other than the low ground clearance I haven't had a single problem. Any lowered car is going to be a little bumpy, which it is, but it handles like an Indy car and has the looks to boot!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The sportlines are a tad stiffer than the stock springs. 300-360. The shock you run with them will make the bigger difference.

Have you guys considered add skid pads to protect the headers?

Also,

Old 04-16-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
The sportlines are a tad stiffer than the stock springs. 300-360. The shock you run with them will make the bigger difference.

Have you guys considered add skid pads to protect the headers?

Also,

I've always wondered why people installing headers don't do this. Seems to me that every car with headers should have a piece of heavy gauge sheet metal welded from the collector to the flange to form a sort of ramp that would allow the headers to slide over obstacles instead of hanging up on them.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ah, Jeep Junkie, you must be into 4 wheeling. You know what I'm talking about. Hell, I was thinking about lowering my car a bit more and adding steel rollers under the nose and tail so I can creep up and down steep driveways without damaging them. Then add twin skid rails to the bottom of the SFC's to keep the exhaust and what not from scraping over speed bumps or whatever. I'd much rather get high centered on a driveway than tear up my exhaust. All I would need to do is shift some weight to the back to get unstuck. I like this idea.

I'd like to go back to this height.

It looked way badass.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Now Jason it appears that I've been stalking you on the board here, but what did you have done to render that drop?
Old 04-17-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Alt
Now Jason it appears that I've been stalking you on the board here, but what did you have done to render that drop?
Old 04-17-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sk8runeg
I just installed pacesetter Long tubes on my car which is lowered wiht sportlines... All I can say is that I thought the car was gonna bottom out on a hammer that was underneath the car when i was lowering it down off the jack stands...

Like seriously... I cant even roll a can of soda underneath the passenger side header collecter...

But hey the sportlines look sooooo god I would definitly recommend them for someone who doesnt have LT's
I bet your ride quality feels pretty crappy though
Old 04-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

I think I just drooled a little on my keyboard.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I bet your ride quality feels pretty crappy though
It can't be very good. The soft springs are going to be using the bumpstops hard and making the ride bumpy feeling. What shocks are you running?

With my 550lb springs and Koni SA shocks a mere 2" of compression travel allows for a nice ride, even on 19's. The Sportline fronts are only 360 which means it will compress more easily and if the shocks are not that good as far as their valving then it will want to compress even more. It may want maybe 3-3.5". I've driven a car with the Sportlines with stock shocks. It was completely unacceptable to my standards.

If you guys would post some pics of your car I could tell you just by looking how much compression travel you have.

I'm working on a way to gain a possible 2" inches of extra travel up front. I'm going to tuck those tires as high as I can in the fenders. They will be rubbing the underside of the shock towers when I'm through. It will be no small feat though and it will require a custom 4 point brace under the hood to strengthen the front subframe which I am going to cut into.

Quick Reply: Sportlines + Long Tubes = No More Speed Bumps