Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque Arm Weight

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque Arm Weight

I'm curious how much an aftermarket Torque Arm (both adj. & non-adj) weighs versus a stock TA? I see that UMI has an option to have theirs made out of chromoly - Is thinner wall tubing used to save weight, or is it the same thickness as the mild-steel version for added strength? Ryan should know all the answers (at least for the UMI versions).

Last edited by jb442; 04-16-2007 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Typo.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The factory arm weighs in at 17lbs, our adjustable transmission mounted arm # 2205 is 24lbs while the Chrome Moly version is 22lbs. We use thinner wall tubing on Chrome Moly to hold the strength but reduce product weight. The non-adjustable transmission mounted arm is just about the same but has no Chrome Moly option. Our tunnel mounted torque arms are heavier, I need to check the exact weight but right around 30-32lbs for the entire assembly and less if you don't get the loop built in.

A few complain here and there that by adding an aftermarket torque arm they are adding weight to there car, true. However this is an item that can not be built to weigh less but still maintain the strength needed for what it is put through.

If I can help anymore please ask
Ryan
Old 04-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Ryan - Thanks for the info. Here's the reason I asked... I'd like to be able to adjust the pinion angle on my car since it's lowered, but I really don't think I need the added strength (and weight) of a tubular TA since I don't drag race the car. So, I guess the question is: What's the best way to allow pinion angle adjustment and add the least amount of weight to the car? (I'd guess that the TA would be unsprung weight because it's fixed to the differential).
Old 04-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jb442
What's the best way to allow pinion angle adjustment and add the least amount of weight to the car?
Anyone?
Old 04-19-2007, 01:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fender washer shims under the tranny mount or the
crossmember, if you need just a little.

Quick Reply: Torque Arm Weight