Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clay Bar help

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clay Bar help

hey i always read everyones threads about using the clay bar, what exactly does it do and can someone tell me the right way of using it and whats all needed for the job? where can i get it from and price usually
Old 04-19-2007, 07:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
hey i always read everyones threads about using the clay bar, what exactly does it do and can someone tell me the right way of using it and whats all needed for the job? where can i get it from and price usually
Using a clay bar with a spray lubricant (capful of car wash in 16 ounce water spray bottle) safely removes surface contamination which becomes imbedded on the top of your clear coat. These may include tree sap, paint over spray, rail dust, bugs and tar among others.

Wash the vehicle to remove the heavy dirt and rinse thoroughly. Using a 100 gram bar as an example, break the bar in half and set the other half aside for future use. Using the first half kneaded into a small patty, spray the work area with the spray lubricant and gently slide the bar back and forth across the lubricated surface. You will feel contaminant removal as the bar becomes easier to slide back and forth across the surface. Alway keep your working area well lubricated. Check the clay bar surface for larger particles which may scratch.

As the surface become dark brown or black, simply stretch and re-fold to expose a clean side and continue working until completed with the entire surface. The clay bar can also be used on exterior glass surfaces. Do not re-use if it drops on the ground. The second half can be used in its place. After clay bar completion, re-wash and rinse the entire vehicle before drying. Once all contaminants are removed the surface will be as smooth as glass.

To determine your existing paint condition, slip a plastic baggy over your fingers and gently slide it across the surface. You will be able to feel the surface contaminants with greater sensitivity.

The paint color may actually change during this procedure as you throughly clean the surface. Products will be easier to apply and remove and the protection of last step products will last longer.

We offer the 100 gram gray TC-1 Clay Bar priced at $11.39 along with a complete product inventory at www.tropi-care.com
Old 04-19-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ got it covered to the t
Old 04-20-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you need to wash it again after you clay bar it?
Old 04-20-2007, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

you're gonna need to wax again after, right?
Old 04-20-2007, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say YES to both.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:31 AM
Launching!

yea after u clay u need to wash to get all the extra crap off. also when u clay bar u are takin off all of the all waxes so its a must to rewax your car when u are done. here were my steps when i did it about a month ago
1. wash car with soap from tropi care
2. clay bar Meguiar's
3. wash car with soap from tropi care
4. swirl remover from tropi care
5. sealant/polish from tropi care
6. ICE wax turtle wax.
beside washing it try to do all of it in a shaded area or in a garage. want to keep the surface as cool as posible.

be ready to set a big part of a day aside for this. its not something u really want to half *** do.and if u have never spent a lot of time on doin this before get ready to be kinda sore the next day.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would add this .. if you drop the clay bar .. throw it away .. period .. do not try to clean it off, save part of it, etc .. if you drop it, it is trash.

better to waste a $10 clay bar then your paint job.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

ok sounds good, thanks for the help
Old 04-20-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would also say that I do this 2 to 3 times a year. dont overdo it, but if you do it regularly since new your paint will look new for a LONG time.

usualyl a clay bar 'kit' comes with a bar, lubricant, and carnuba wax. thats a cleaner wax, and is a good idea to use right after the clay bar (of course after the rewash).

I usually use polish before the carnuba wax, but i might be wrong...im sure someone will chime in with whether thats a good idea or not.

im doing this process this weekend, ill post pics when im done. my last clay bar job on this car was right after i bought it 3 months ago.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Launching!

after i finished everything i was so impressed with how smooth is was. even though i didnt get much out of the clay bar, i could really till a difference. but right now school is kickin my *** so my car is kinda gettin neglected till after the first week of may.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar help