Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Mounting aftermarket tweeters in stock locations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mounting aftermarket tweeters in stock locations?

Has anyone mounted aftermarket tweeters in the factory locations behind factory grilles in a 98+ Firebird? I'm looking for good sound in my 98 Formula but I don't want any visual queues that it's not stock. I just want to hear it; don't wanna see it. I've got the Polk Momo 6.5 components for the front doors. The tweeters have a built on housing. They then install into either the surface or flush mount cups. The tweeter itself looks like it's hot-glued to the inside of the housing. I thought about melting the glue so I could install just the tweeters. However, I'm worried about voiding any sort of warranty. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

No one?
Old 04-24-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

it's a pain in the ***, I took the old braket off and replaced the tweeter and it's being held on by only two clips instead of the three.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I have a Camaro, so I'm not too sure, but just hot glue it on if there's no way to mount it. It doesn't really matter as long as it fits (or is that the problem?)
Old 04-24-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

My tweeter fit so perfectly, I took the grille off of the pod on the door, got some really strong epoxy, epoxied the flush mount ring on the door pod, and slid the tweeter right in. Can post pics, my tweeter is rather large.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Wll, I didnt care about looking stock and the alpine tweeters flush mount fit perfect and now I can angle my tweets to taste. However, it looked like if you were careful the stock bracket would work fine to mount to and clear the stock covers.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine were simple. I had the door panel off, took the little screw out of the back of the stock tweeter, slid it out, and the tweeter I put in actually had a screw in the back of it in the same spot. I simply unscrewed it and used the screw from the stock tweeter. Mounted the same way. All youhave to do is slide out the stock tweeter after unscrewing it and put a little 3M double sided trim tape in behind it. Very easy if yours doesn't screw in. Trans ams/firebirds have the best door panels for components. Here's a pic of mine:

Old 04-26-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
Mine were simple. I had the door panel off, took the little screw out of the back of the stock tweeter, slid it out, and the tweeter I put in actually had a screw in the back of it in the same spot. I simply unscrewed it and used the screw from the stock tweeter. Mounted the same way. All youhave to do is slide out the stock tweeter after unscrewing it and put a little 3M double sided trim tape in behind it. Very easy if yours doesn't screw in. Trans ams/firebirds have the best door panels for components. Here's a pic of mine:

That's how I did mine. I used double sided tape. Originally I had them showing but recessed them and used the stock covers later on.

Pics here.

http://www.carstereo.com/installs/ph...=13&maxrows=12
Old 04-27-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

sorry for the crappy picture, but I have a set of CDT tweets from my ES-620 comps mounted in the factory hole. They fit perfectly and just used some JB Weld/epoxy on the backside to hold them in. They have been installed for like 4 years now I believe.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:24 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I think I can bend the factory bracket to sandwich the tweeter housing between the bracket and the door panel. I'm having a bitch of a time getting these components to fit though. I've got some adapter plates from Crutchfield that a friend of mine gave me. However, the screws that hold down the adpater plate sit right under the speaker so it won't sit flush. I'm either going to notch the speaker rim or make my own adapter.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seriously make your own adapter it will work much better... 1/4" mdf works great for alot of speakers
Old 04-29-2007, 04:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
seriously make your own adapter it will work much better... 1/4" mdf works great for alot of speakers

just remember to keep it dry...
Old 04-29-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, so I notched the speaker. It worked to an extent. I got it mounted to the bracket and the bracket mounted to the factory bracket. I put it all in and it looked pretty good. However, I test fitted the door panel and the speaker grill tab was resting on the woofer surround. It didn't distort, but I didn't want it wearing a hole through the speaker. Then I spent the next 3 hours making a 1/2" MDF adapter. Got it installed and test fitted the door panel again. 1/2" was too thick. The door panel lacks about a 1/4" of sitting flush down at the speaker. So I stopped for now. I didn't bargain for this much of a custom install. I'm seriously considering changing speakers. I dunno what I'm going to do.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear your having to go through all that. It took me about 30 min. to install mine along with the 6.5" components. Good luck!!
Old 04-30-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

I guess I should clarify. Right now, I have just dealt with the woofer. I have not even touched the tweeter except to remove the old one. These Polk MOMO's sound great, but I haven't yet decided if they were worth the trouble to install. I've got another idea that I'm going to try after work: a sheet of ABS plastic or Plexiglas plus the mount that Polk provides. It will emulate the factory bracket so hopefully it will work. Then I'll double-side tape the tweeter and call it a day.

Quick Reply: Mounting aftermarket tweeters in stock locations?