Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

recommendations for speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommendations for speakers

Like the topic says. I've been looking at these Pioneer Premier TS-A642P speakers. 59$ for a pair is a good deal.

Top Mount Depth: 1-5/8" Inches
Sensitivity: 93 dB
RMS Power Range : 40 Watts
Peak Power Handling: 250 Watts
Impedance: 4 Ohm
Frequency response: 28-28000 Hz
Design: 4 Way
Woofer Composition: Composite IMPP
Tweeter Composition: Film Cone
Diameter: 6.5 Inch

can I run 4 of these in the doors and sail panels, i have amps and subs just checking on these. I'm guessing they're the right size. I plan on getting a new HU too.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest these are not very good speakers. Are they better than factory? Probably but that is not saying much. I suggest if you are on a budget just go with 2 Inifnity Kappa's (62.7i) or Alpine 6.5" 2 ways both of these are decent speakers and will fit in the stock locations.

If you truely want a "good" speaker look at the Focal's, MB Quarts, and JL Audio. These companies also make 2 ways that will fit in the stock locations.

For a real high end speaker go with components and look at CDT audio or Morel. They will cost you though. Unless you are buying seperates stay away from 3 way or 4 way speakers in general. More drivers in a coax speaker is NOT better.

Good luck!
Old 04-21-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Unless you are buying seperates stay away from 3 way or 4 way speakers in general. More drivers in a coax speaker is NOT better.
yea...if you haven't listened to them personally and decided if that's what you want - I would avoid 3/4-way speakers.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I meant to say more drivers in a non component speaker are not better. Of course a Coax speaker is only 2 drivers.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Inifnity Kappa's.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kage
Inifnity Kappa's.
The Kappa is a nice speaker. I just found them a bit on the bright side. Almost painfully bright. I think part of my problem was that I used 4 of them. I think just 2 in the doors would have been better. In the end I went with Focal's and have been very happy with them.

You can get the Kappa's pretty cheap on ebay. Another nice thing with the Kappas are that they are 2 ohm so they match well with the factory Monsoon amp to get you by until you replace everything.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

The Kappa is a nice speaker. I just found them a bit on the bright side. Almost painfully bright. I think part of my problem was that I used 4 of them. I think just 2 in the doors would have been better. In the end I went with Focal's and have been very happy with them.

You can get the Kappa's pretty cheap on ebay. Another nice thing with the Kappas are that they are 2 ohm so they match well with the factory Monsoon amp to get you by until you replace everything.
Yeah they are a little on the bright side, but when i tweek them out with my
Alpine MDA-5046 SURROUND/DSP/BBE/LISTENING POSITION EQ they sound awesome.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for all the replies. I'm a huge pioneer premier fan, used to have em in my old camaro and they rocked.

Pioneer Premier TS-D601P

Top Mount Depth: 2-3/8" Inches
Sensitivity: 90 dB
RMS Power Range : 60 Watts
Peak Power Handling: 260 Watts
Impedance: 4 Ohm
Frequency response: 27-32000 Hz
Design: 2 Way
Woofer Composition: Dual layer Kevlar
Diameter: 6.5 Inch

I'm sure 4 of these all around would work, eh?
Old 04-22-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

I also checked out the kappas, nice speaker, and them being only 2-ohm means more power
Old 04-22-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've never heard somebody say the Kappas were bright, but they were happy with Focal.. lol. Focal has some of the brightest highs out there.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally can't stand bright highs. It seems with 3/4 way speakers thats all you hear. As for the pioneers I can't comment on those specifically, but I did prefer the 2 ways over the 3 ways I had in some 6x9 years ago. Over brightened highs don't sound natural at all and make listening at higher volumes unbearable.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95bat
I've never heard somebody say the Kappas were bright, but they were happy with Focal.. lol. Focal has some of the brightest highs out there.
Oh my. I can't believe you said that... Same exact system and the Kappa's made my ears nearly bleed! The Focals have no such effect and the mid range is MUCH cleaner. They have great highs but are not overly bright IMHO.

Speakers are a very subjective thing but I would say almost all people who are into sound would chose a Focal over an Infinity. To me they are in seperate leagues. But again, just my opinion.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

well me and my dad were talking and he said forget about those, and we found these.

JBL GTO627 for the sail panels

JBL Grand Touring Series GTO607C Component system for the fronts
Old 04-22-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh my. I can't believe you said that... Same exact system and the Kappa's made my ears nearly bleed! The Focals have no such effect and the mid range is MUCH cleaner. They have great highs but are not overly bright IMHO.

Speakers are a very subjective thing but I would say almost all people who are into sound would chose a Focal over an Infinity. To me they are in seperate leagues. But again, just my opinion.
Well of course people would pick Focal over Infinity, Focals are 10x the speakers. Their tweeters are still harsh though. I don't even think they offer a coax or component set with a soft dome tweeter.